Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz SUVs, Trucks, Vans, Diesels, Other > M-Class (W164)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

M-Class (W164) 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 07:56 AM   #1

Drives: 2009 ML320 Bluetec
Question warning triangle with exclamation point. What does it mena?

It's an icy morning in DC today, and my wife called on her way to work saying there is this yellow triangle warning light with exclamation point lit up. I tried to search the web and has not found any definitive answers to this. Any one knows what this is about? The car drives normal.
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

G35cJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #2

It seems that this symbol indicates that the ESP/Traction control has been turned off. I doubt my wife would turn it off in today's icy condition, Maybe she turned if off inadvertently. But she is safe at work and will check later and see if she pushed any bottoms by mistake.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:52 AM   #3

Drives: 2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Loss of traction. The stability and traction control systems took over. Should go away after a very short while though.
aggst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggst1 View Post
Loss of traction. The stability and traction control systems took over. Should go away after a very short while though.
That's comforting to know. Thanks.
But from the two winters I have had with this car, I am totally convinced the run flat tires have very bad traction in snow/icy conditions.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: 2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
The flashing triangle warns the driver that a wheel is slipping. If its on steady it means that the ESP is switched off. As for run flat tires, I would not own a vehicle that has them. They are horrible from lots of standpoints.
sosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #6

Drives: 2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
I think your tires are almost constantly slipping causing the ESP to alert the driver. If it doesnt do it this afternoon after road conditions improve then that's your problem. I agree on the comment about run flats.
aggst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #7

Well, wife said the yellow warning light was never on again on her way back tonight. So my only logical explanation was that she accidentally turned off the ESP.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #8

Drives: 2010 ML550, 2012 GLK350 4Matic
Even if she turned it off inadvertently, you can rest assured that it will work!

The traction control can NEVER be turned off in any production Benz. Even though it will look like it is turned off, the electronics will kick in and interfere when your car slips and will try to save it.

^^ This I know because I've seen it do that to me on the track and also because I watch too much Top Gear
pharaoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #9
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35cJ View Post
Well, wife said the yellow warning light was never on again on her way back tonight. So my only logical explanation was that she accidentally turned off the ESP.
Traction control comes back on 100% after a restart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharaoh View Post
Even if she turned it off inadvertently, you can rest assured that it will work!

The traction control can NEVER be turned off in any production Benz. Even though it will look like it is turned off, the electronics will kick in and interfere when your car slips and will try to save it.

^^ This I know because I've seen it do that to me on the track and also because I watch too much Top Gear
I don't think the Top Gear boys got it 100% correct. When TC is off, the throttle is not retarded when the vehicle senses a loss in traction. For instance, I can smoke the tires in my SL until my heart is content with TC off. I cannot do it with TC on. All ABS braking controls are still on when traction control is off.

To confuse the issue more, some models (I know SL55 and E55) have "dyno" modes that shut ABS off as well. It takes a sequence of commands to get in "dyno" mode so it cannot be done inadvertently like turning off TC.

I sometimes turn TC off in my ML500 when it is icy (on quite roads) to get a feel for the cars sliding characteristics.

Last edited by cal1; 01-21-2011 at 01:06 PM. Reason: add a line
cal1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:32 PM   #10
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: 2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharaoh View Post

Turning off the ESP only turns off a portion of the system. This is to allow the driver to negotiate out of a snow bank or stuck situation but the basics for safety stability are always on. I thing perhaps your wife had slipping wheels which can certainly happen in those conditions causing the triangle to flash. If it was on steady she had inadvertenly turned the ESP switch off. However after shutting down and then restarting the system reverts back to on with no input from the driver.
sosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:05 PM   #11

Drives: 98 benz sl500
Unhappy Answers

my son drove my sl500 and when he came back,i noticed the car takes off and ran ONLY go 25-30 mph and the traction control light flashes for a while the the car will run fine until i stop and cut it off and back to slow again.what may i need to replace or reset?
toneboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #12
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Not real sure what is going on. Hopefully someone can help you out. You might also post in the SL (R129) forum. If your SL was built in 98 it is different than the cars on this forum.

Good Luck!
Old 04-06-2014, 06:33 PM

Tags
2006, accord, benz, cars, driving, exclamation, icy, light, mercedes, ml320, ml350, point, road, triangle, warning, yellow