M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Importing 2010 ML-550 to Canada - analog speedometer conversion from miles/hr to kms

Old 12-23-2013, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml 350
I did a Canadian conversion, as described, at http://albertsautocentre.aaro.ca/:
1) Analog speedo
2) Mileage
3) Outside temp display
4) Navigation
On the analog speedometer needle really shows the speed in KM, matching the digital display. The scale goes only to 160k/h but.. where would I drive faster.
I tried to talk to the MB dealer in Buffalo, they refused to do it but said they would service the car under warranty.
I have only 90 days of warranty left so do not really care about them much anyway.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:47 PM

bmwx5
Hi All,
I am planning to import 2012 ML350 from usa and i am trying first time MB. I have couple of question.
1. I called MBCAN they told me for US vehicles they honor manufacturer warranty and they dont sell extended warranty. In order to get the manufacturer warranty i have to change cluster change and other things. Then i called local MB dealer in edmonton he said the same thing and quoted me around 4-5k. does anyone know where i can change cluster modification in edmonton?
2. how reliable is getting warranty from third party company? any suggestions about the 3rd party companies?
3. Do i really need to buy an extended warranty for ML350? curious about MB maintenance.
I really appreciate your opinions and advices.

thanks
sam
Old 10-31-2014, 01:00 PM

07' SLK 55 AMG, 08' CLS63AMG, 2010 ML350 BlueTec, Nissan Armada
I imported a 2010 ML350 Bluetec for my wife 3 years ago. Paid for the cluster replacement in order to get the warranty honored in Canada - circa $2,700 if I recall.

A complete rip off by MB in my view as conversion is NOT required to meet Canadian vehicle requirements - just MB's way to make sure overpriced Canadian dealers get their pound of flesh when folks like us wise up and go south to save tens of thousands. OK, done ranting now lol.

I've imported 2 other MB's over the years and did NOT convert clusters for the warranty (took my chances). Of my experience with 3 MB's (2 were AMG's), I've had no warranty work done at all, so the conversion on the one ML was a waste of money to me. Comes down to peace of mind I suppose. Priced after market warranties which were still quite expensive so did not pursue.

Murphy's Law... any issues will likely appear the month after warranty expires anyway, lol.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by samml350
Hi All,
I am planning to import 2012 ML350 from usa and i am trying first time MB. I have couple of question.
1. I called MBCAN they told me for US vehicles they honor manufacturer warranty and they dont sell extended warranty. In order to get the manufacturer warranty i have to change cluster change and other things. Then i called local MB dealer in edmonton he said the same thing and quoted me around 4-5k. does anyone know where i can change cluster modification in edmonton?
2. how reliable is getting warranty from third party company? any suggestions about the 3rd party companies?
3. Do i really need to buy an extended warranty for ML350? curious about MB maintenance.
I really appreciate your opinions and advices.

thanks
sam
Old 10-31-2014, 07:51 PM

bmwx5
Originally Posted by Halifax SLK
I imported a 2010 ML350 Bluetec for my wife 3 years ago. Paid for the cluster replacement in order to get the warranty honored in Canada - circa $2,700 if I recall.

A complete rip off by MB in my view as conversion is NOT required to meet Canadian vehicle requirements - just MB's way to make sure overpriced Canadian dealers get their pound of flesh when folks like us wise up and go south to save tens of thousands. OK, done ranting now lol.

I've imported 2 other MB's over the years and did NOT convert clusters for the warranty (took my chances). Of my experience with 3 MB's (2 were AMG's), I've had no warranty work done at all, so the conversion on the one ML was a waste of money to me. Comes down to peace of mind I suppose. Priced after market warranties which were still quite expensive so did not pursue.

Murphy's Law... any issues will likely appear the month after warranty expires anyway, lol.

Good luck!
Thank you Halifax SLK, If i do conversion at local store will MBCAN honor warranty?
Old 10-31-2014, 10:17 PM

bmwx5
MB 3rd party warranty

Originally Posted by knockout18
I had the US MB dealer reprogram the speed from miles to KM, the Canadian dealer only wanted to do it if they changed the cluster. $200 in the US to reprogram versus $2000 for the cluster in Canada.

To activate the warranty in Canada MB charges $500. Mine was close to being done so I just went with a third party till 2017.
With no option for an extended warranty for US imported vehicles.

The import inspection can be done by Canadian Tire.

good luck, I'm sure you will enjoy the vehicle.
Hi Knockout,

could you please tell me the 3rd party company name?
Old 06-17-2015, 02:39 PM

2006 ML350
US cluster reprogrammed

Hey, if anyone's looking to get their cluster reprogrammed from miles to KPH in the Toronto area, I just had mine done without changing the cluster. Had it done in the Mississauga at Albert's for $150, and it's all in metric now. the speedo reads KPH, MFD and navigation all changed. Shame on the dealers for screwing owners. Call Martin at 905-820-8586. Took all of 30 minutes.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:58 PM

ML350 Blutec
Originally Posted by arok
Please, can somebody with a 2010 ML try to switch from miles/hr to kms/hr, and let me know whether analog speedometer switches to 0-160 kms/hr as well, including kms/hr light being on?

I am very close to making an offer on a really nice 2010 ML 550, and this is the last issue I need to figure out....

Thank you very much,

Andrew
I have a ML350 2010 Blutec and can change from MPH to KMS in the command pages you access from the wheel.