M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Problems with 2011 ML350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 CTS-V, 2017 Audi Q7 / Past MB's: 2011 ML350 & 2012 ML350
Problems with 2011 ML350

I will begin by apologizing for the lengthy post, but it is the only way anyone can possibly understand what the first 5 months of ownership with the ML has been like.

We took delivery of my wife’s 2011 ML350 in Nov 2010. The very next day I brought it back to the dealer because the headlights/taillights would not turn off. Not the daytime running lights, but the headlights/taillights. The headlight and taillights when set in the “auto” mode will occasionally come on for no reason even on the brightest and “sunniest” day. But for some reason when the lights come on if I switch from the “Auto” to the “Off” position nothing happens and the lights stay on. They may eventually turn off or continue to stay on. In addition, even if the headlight/taillight switch is set to the “Off ” position the headlights & taillights will come on during the day. Again, NOT the daytime running lights.

My sales person and the shop foreman witnessed this, and although they looked as confused as I was he turned off the DRL’s in the menu and told me very politely that everything is fine and not to worry, it’s a beautiful vehicle, enjoy it..

Three weeks later the ML began making a clunking / thumping noise that was coming from the cargo area. I also advised them that there was a cracking / creaking sound where the dashboard meets the windshield, and occasionally along the “A” pillar. It literally sounded as though the windshield was cracking and is especially noticeable on the passenger side. Both of these noises were duplicated during a test drive with my service advisor who couldn’t apologize enough in regards to how bad it sounded.

The ML was in service for a week, It turned out that the rear seat belt anchors weren’t properly insulated at the factory so they were banging on the body under the seats. So they added felt tape to the anchors and the noise went away. However, they couldn’t figure out the windshield noise so the media cable in the glove box was re-arranged because the technician said maybe that is causing the noise.

Clearly that wasn’t the noise and even my service advisor didn’t believe that was the problem. I had them look at headlight issue again and although they duplicated the problem they told me everything was fine and turn of the DRL’s in the menu..

Less than a week later I had called my service advisor because not only was the windshield noise back but there was a new noise coming from the cargo area. This time it sounded like a tool was left in a plastic bucket and it was rattling every time you accelerated, made a turn or braked. I checked the cargo area compartments and spare tire well and nothing was there. A technician duplicated the noise during a test drive with my wife and told her he couldn’t believe his ears.

This time the ML was in for 9 days and after taking the entire rear cargo area apart it was determined that the tailgate was out of alignment. I asked how could the tailgate be out of alignment on a new ML and I was told “It happens”. In regards to the windshield noise I was told they couldn’t duplicate the noise this time. And of course they turned off the DRL's again and claim the headlights & taillights were operating correctly even though they continue to come on in bright daylight for no reason at all.

The windshield noise was back two days later but I didn’t call the service department right away figuring to wait and see if it goes away again. A week later the ML developed a chattering noise that was coming from the HVAC fan control. So back in for its 4th service visit in as many months of ownership.

This time the ML was in for four days. The blower motor was replaced and part of the dashboard and A-pillar were removed and insulated with felt tape. They once again turned off the DRL’s and told me the headlight/taillight issue was fixed. It is not.

As I write this the ML is scheduled to go back in for its 5th service visit next week. Not only is the windshield making its famous creaking and cracking noise but there are 3 noises coming from the cargo area. The first is a clunking noise that can be heard when you drive over a moderate bump. The second is a clanging (metal on metal) noise that can be heard occasionally upon acceleration and when driving over slight bumps. The third is a creaking noise that sounds like it is coming from the left side of the cargo area but I am not 100% sure of the location. Mind you, there is nothing in the storage compartments, tire wells or anywhere that can make any noises.

I got MBUSA involved prior to the 4th service visit and all I will say is that the case worker leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to dealing with customers. I never yell at anyone always believing that you will get further using “Sugar instead of Salt” but this guy is condescending and it took a lot from me not tear him apart.

The service manger and general manager of my dealership have contacted me and as of right now they have decided to waive two payments for my down time although I asked for four. They have been very nice and we will see where this all goes,

I have owned SUV’s since 1999. Two Infiniti’s and two Acura’s and none of these vehicles had anywhere near the issues the ML has had and were very quiet. My wife wanted the ML so I bought it for her instead of another Acura, what a mistake.

Has anyone else experienced any of the issues I have described.

Thanks
Old 03-10-2011, 04:06 PM

2011 DIESEL ML
I have the creak from my tailgate/cargo area...not the thud or the groan. I hope my issue doesn't escalate as yours has...
Old 03-10-2011, 04:30 PM

If you have the creaking noise have them check the tailgate before they take apart the cargo area. Good Luck.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
At what point does the "Lemon Law" come into play ?
Old 03-10-2011, 07:49 PM

2011 ML 350 BLUETEC GRAND EDITION
my best advice, trade that lemon in.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:44 PM

2010 ML350
Sorry to hear about your issues.

Creaking/rattling/clicking noises have overtaken my ML. Unless the music is drowning out the noises I don't really enjoy driving the car because of how angry I get by how cheap the car sounds.

I'm willing to at least explore the new ML due this year but I doubt I'll buy another Mercedes that wasn't assembled in Germany.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Originally Posted by MLGRAND777
my best advice, trade that lemon in.
+1, I think you got yourself a lemon. The following current thread from the GL forum may provide some value to you. It's from a woman that bought a brand new GL that had a whole bunch of problems (not the same as yours), and in the end MBUSA bought the car back. Interestingly, her dealer played a key role in the whole process. MBUSA initially rejected her claim and after phone calls etc, they caved! Definately a frustrating and long process though!

Check it out, it might give you some insight. https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ind-noise.html

Last edited by aggst1; 03-10-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 ML 350, 2009 Smart Passion, 2004 Audi TT Quattro
Originally Posted by C43AMG
At what point does the "Lemon Law" come into play ?
After the first couple of paragraphs I was thinking the same thing!
Old 03-11-2011, 12:37 AM

Suzuki Burgman Executive
Lemon it. When I bought a 02 Ml320 I had nothing but problems, I was told by friends and family to lemon it. I didn't and I regretted every day with that car. My 2 W164's have been nothing but reliable. I cant wait for the W165!
Old 03-11-2011, 07:59 AM

Believe me, Lemon Law has been on my mind, but there is a catch. The NYS Lemon Law states that if the dealer can't fix the defect after four tries, or if you haven't been able to drive the car for 30 or more days because of the issue, you are then entitled to either a replacement vehicle or a refund of your purchase price―consumers choice. Although it varies by state, especially regarding the amount of repair attempts this is what most of us think Lemon Law is all about.

However here is the catch. The law also states that the defects must also substantially impair the value of the vehicle in order for the consumer to qualify. So although I feel that all of these noises, not to mention the headlight problem does in fact affect the value of the vehicle the law at this time does not, maybe at a later date after more down time but not now. So the consumer has to suffer in the meantime.

It makes no sense, because no one in their right mind would buy this vehicle if these problems were present. So wouldn’t that mean the value is affected? It really is a bunch of legal BS.

I did speak to the general manager a week ago in regards to replacing the ML with a new one. He told me that Mercedes has agreed to pay part of the difference which he said is $10,000 between my 5 month old ML, and a new one. Mercedes will pay half and ready for this….. I would have to pay the other $5,000 and this would afford me the privilege of driving the same exact ML I have now only 5 months newer.

Can you imagine!! I originally thought he was joking. I told him no way. It is not the $5,000 it is the principle. I have had problems since day one, why should I have to pay anything to get out of a defective product that Mercedes sold me, that is absurd. I told him that Mercedes should stand behind their product, pick up the difference and write it off. That is when he offered to waive two payments as I mentioned in my other post.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:31 AM

UPDATE:

The ML went back in for service two days ago. I took a test drive with the shop foreman who immediately heard the windshield noise and the noises coming for the cargo area. He told me that he thinks that one of the noises in the cargo area is coming from the tailgate again but the windshield noise has him concerned because he is not sure where it is coming from. He said they may have to remove the windshield to see if there is something under the glass that is causing the noise.

The General Manager stopped by to say hello and I informed him that the shop foreman verified multiple noises coming from the ML. He said that he plans on test driving the ML also.

To be continued…………
Old 03-16-2011, 10:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML350 4matic
I have the creaking noise on the drivers side of the rear hatch. I have gone so far as to ride in the cargo area around the block to isolate the noise. Mine is from the ill-fitting plastic that goes around the hatch window.
I have been able to lessen the noise by adjusting the "stops" on the hatch where they meet the body. It's either a 30 or 40 Torx...
My dealer kept on lubricating them everytime I complained. By moving them in, I have definitely quieted the creak down.
Next plan is to remove the trim and clear caulk the joints and insert tabs.....
Old 03-20-2011, 05:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 ML350
Originally Posted by Cyber GS
Believe me, Lemon Law has been on my mind, but there is a catch. The NYS Lemon Law states that if the dealer can't fix the defect after four tries, or if you haven't been able to drive the car for 30 or more days because of the issue, you are then entitled to either a replacement vehicle or a refund of your purchase price―consumers choice. Although it varies by state, especially regarding the amount of repair attempts this is what most of us think Lemon Law is all about.

However here is the catch. The law also states that the defects must also substantially impair the value of the vehicle in order for the consumer to qualify. So although I feel that all of these noises, not to mention the headlight problem does in fact affect the value of the vehicle the law at this time does not, maybe at a later date after more down time but not now. So the consumer has to suffer in the meantime.

It makes no sense, because no one in their right mind would buy this vehicle if these problems were present. So wouldn’t that mean the value is affected? It really is a bunch of legal BS.

I did speak to the general manager a week ago in regards to replacing the ML with a new one. He told me that Mercedes has agreed to pay part of the difference which he said is $10,000 between my 5 month old ML, and a new one. Mercedes will pay half and ready for this….. I would have to pay the other $5,000 and this would afford me the privilege of driving the same exact ML I have now only 5 months newer.

Can you imagine!! I originally thought he was joking. I told him no way. It is not the $5,000 it is the principle. I have had problems since day one, why should I have to pay anything to get out of a defective product that Mercedes sold me, that is absurd. I told him that Mercedes should stand behind their product, pick up the difference and write it off. That is when he offered to waive two payments as I mentioned in my other post.
Wasn't the Lemon Law written by the auto manufacturers?
Old 03-24-2011, 09:11 AM

As I mentioned in a previous post the ML went in for service on Monday 3/14 to address the headlight and other ongoing issues. I took a test drive with the Shop Foreman who immediately heard the windshield noise as well as a clunking noise, creaking noise and a metal on metal sound that were all coming from the cargo area. I felt great because once again MB personnel were able to duplicate the noises with either me or my wife present.

The General Manager of the dealership called me on Friday 3/18 and told me that the ML is ready to be picked up. He said that he had taken the ML out for a couple of test drives himself and just got back from another test drive this time with the MB district rep and they didn’t hear a thing. Here is what was found.

Headlights/Taillights - Although the headlights and taillights turn on during the day and cannot be turned off I was given the standard answer most auto companies’ use when they cannot figure out what is wrong. “The lights are operating as designed”

Windshield Noise - The right side of the dashboard and right A-Pillar were once again re-insulated and re-secured. This time they also needed to "reset" the A-Pillar and then reinstall it. Whatever that means.

Clunking Noise - The tailgate, that was just re-aligned a month ago needed to be re-aligned and retightened to “factory specs”. Does this mean that it wasn’t tightened to factory specs last month? They also said that the rear door latch assembly needed to be adjusted.

Creaking Noises - They removed all cargo area interior panels and insulated behind them and the edges with felt tape.

Metal on Metal Sound - They found that the left rear muffler was hitting on the heat shield bracket so they repositioned the bracket. They also (ready for this) re-secured several undercarriage bolts that were loose. When they discovered this I was told that they re-checked all of the undercarriage bolts to make sure no others were loose. When I inquired if they found others that were loose I was told that everything is fine now. So of course I assume other bolts were loose, not a good feeling.

After hearing all of this I thought to myself, how could this ML have left the factory like this, have they heard of quality control. This ML is only 5 months old.

So after all of this and aside from the headlight issue I am happy to report that at this time anyway all of noises seem to be gone. I am trying my best to be very hopeful, though it’s not easy, that it will be smooth sailing from this point forward.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:10 AM

2011 QX56 (formerly '11 GL350)
Cyber- Your thread was brought to my attention, and I absolutely know what you are going through. I hope that your issues have finally been fixed. It is extremely frustrating to go through this with such a new car, I began dealing with a multitude of issues from about 500 miles (if you don't count the clothing hanger falling out of the ceiling on the drive home from the dealer the day we bought it). Be diligent in your records. Mine fell under the 30 day clause, but I live in California and I don't think there was the additional clause your NY law seems to have. There was a list of approximately 14 different issues causing my car to be out of service and in the dealership for over 34 days just in the first 16 weeks we owned it.

I know first hand the frustrations of having an absolutely beautiful car that you can barely stand to drive. When you factor in the amount of good money you paid for the thing, it darn near can make you sick.

I will cross my fingers that your issues have been fixed and you can finally enjoy your new ML. My mother in-law actually enjoyed a good 8 years with her M-class with no problems so you never really know. Our family had also owned various E classes and S classes with no problems whatsoever. Right now my father in law drives a new S550 that hasn't had a problem yet (aside from a bubbling leather on the console that the dealer warrantied.) Our GL was just one of those vehicles that "can happen" I think. I know and have met many people on this very forum that have absolutely no issues with their vehicles.

Stay up on it, don't give up!
Tam
Old 03-25-2011, 04:39 PM

Well have to say Mercedes has keep to their end of the bargain. This afternoon I received a check in the mail from the General Manager of my dealership for the payments that Mercedes agreed to waive due the problems I have had.

I came on this forum to let everyone know of the problems that I had been experiencing with the ML so I only thought it was fair to let everyone know that Mercedes kept their word.

I just hope I don’t have to go back to the dealer for anything except scheduled service.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:41 AM

2014 ML350 BlueTec.
l'm baffled when l read these posts.......

As a QC (VP) inspector for the Lexus RX 350, and a team member of the Gold Pland Award, 2nd in the world for over-all initial quality..hearing about items such as clothes hangers falling out on the drive home, almost make me laugh..l understand from a team member from this Mercedes plant (Vance) that the takt time for each vehicle is around 55 seconds..So each team member has this amount of time to finish his of her items, maybe along the line of 4-5 things. The Cambridge plant takt time is 2 and half minutes...Granted we have quite a few more things to check and install, but you get my point..To produce a world-class vehicle, to the point of no defects takes time, and l was stunned to see a 55 second takt for a Mercedes Benz ....To put this in perspective.... our Toyota Corolla's takt time is 56 seconds !!!!! Hmmmm...a $17,000 vehicle versus a $50,000 vehicle ????? makes no sense to me..............Sorry "V"..but no wonder this Mercedes plant has never won any JD Power plant awards.....
Old 04-17-2011, 10:34 PM

2011 DIESEL ML
We have a ML and a Cambridge built RX350. I can honestly say the Lexus doesn't hold a candle to the ML in build quality. I have owned a lot of Toyota/Lexus products (2 4runners, IS300, IS 350, highlander) and the RX has been the biggest disappointment. After 2 years of ownership it feels loose, we have had major issues with the steering shaft (whatever that is), it has some weird grind in the drivetrain, the leather is cracked on the drivers seat, etc. It only has 35,000km and feels worse than my IS did with 200,000.

Certainly my last Lexus product.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:15 PM

2014 ML350 BlueTec.
Interesting................

Originally Posted by bdyyz
We have a ML and a Cambridge built RX350. I can honestly say the Lexus doesn't hold a candle to the ML in build quality. I have owned a lot of Toyota/Lexus products (2 4runners, IS300, IS 350, highlander) and the RX has been the biggest disappointment. After 2 years of ownership it feels loose, we have had major issues with the steering shaft (whatever that is), it has some weird grind in the drivetrain, the leather is cracked on the drivers seat, etc. It only has 35,000km and feels worse than my IS did with 200,000.

Certainly my last Lexus product.
Feels loose..you mean the suspension or the steering ?????? Did they not replace the steering shaft ?????? As for the leather..did you protect it at all....with a leather product such as Lexol....l'm sorry to hear this...You still have warranty left..take care of it.............
Old 04-18-2011, 10:26 PM

2005 C230 Kompressor
C-rod, this post here when it comes to the takt time is still accurate:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
-MBUSI facility is on approximately 1000 acres – with current expansion we will be utilizing 2/3rds of our area

-571,003 First Generation M-Class were built

-The first plant was approx 1.2 million square feet – now we have a total of over 3 million square feet

-65% of vehicle content comes from NAFTA region - the engines and transmissions come from Germany

-We have one body shop, two paint shops, and two assembly shops all under one roof

-Plant 1 and 2 can build both the M-Class and the R-Class can only be built in Plant 2

-Team Members all wear “Team Wear”; administration team member work in an open office environment to enhance open communications.

-Team Members wear special safety shoes that are rated “ESD” that prevents Electric Static Discharge – to prevent potential damage to electronic components.

-Every vehicle we build here is for an order from one of our 135 worldwide markets

-The Plants were constructed to be flexible in order to accommodate both the M-Class & R-Class

-Each station has a takt time to perform its task. In the body shop they run a takt time of 76 seconds and Assembly they run at 93 seconds (except for the marriage station which is 70 seconds)

-Because of the increased technology in our product today, and the complexity of the new products, there is more automation in our plants. The first example you will see today is in the Body Shop. We now have approximately 800 robots in the plant. Of those, approx. 640 are in the Body Shop compared to the 60 robots in the previous Body Shop which helps ensure repeatability and consistency

-Production volume in 2005 is approximately 100,000 and we use flexible manufacturing technology. We have the capability to produce 160,000 M-Class, R-Class and variations.

-New Paint shop will be able to produce up to 600 vehicles a day. Paint is not just about color. The paint protects the body.

-The welding of the W164 body is a precision process. There are over approximately 5,000 welds added to the body. Welds not only hold the components together, they add safety and overall dimensional accuracy

-The Perceptron laser measurement device a highly accurate procedure utilizing laser sensors to ensure that the dimensions on every body meet the Mercedes-Benz standard of excellence. The perceptron has cameras located on the robot that measure selected dimensional spots.

-MBUSI uses “Just-in-Time” (JIT). It is a manufacturing method based on the idea that we don’t stockpile large amounts of the inventory we use to assemble the M-Class. In fact, in the assembly shop we only keep about 2 hours of inventory on line, whereas in the body shop we have approx. three hours line side.

-The Energy Center makes the whole assembly process possible team members in the Energy Center located between the two plants work around the clock in three shifts to make sure that we have all the electricity, natural gas, compressed air, and various waters used in the manufacturing process. The energy required at full production is approximately 50 million watts (roughly the same as 10,000 typical homes)
Old 05-25-2011, 09:53 AM

Well sorry to say but some of the same problems that I was told were fixed are back and a new one has surfaced. The windshield creaking/cracking noise is back as well as the clunking noise in the cargo area. This noise seems similar to the seat belt anchor noise that was originally fixed back in December.

At that time I was told that the seat belt anchors weren’t insulated at the factory so MB insulated them with felt tape. Then again, since sounds travel I wouldn’t be surprised if the noise is the tailgate being out of alignment again. If it is the tailgate this will be the 3rd or 4th time that the tailgate will need to be aligned on a 5,000 mile / 6 month old SUV that has never been off-road.

The new noise is a creaking plastic sound which is coming from the center console storage area. It is not anything in the storage compartment because even when there is nothing in there the noise remains.

The windshield and clunking noises started again in April and I figured that I would wait and see if the noises either went away or got worse before bringing it in for service. Not to mention several business and personal issues prevented me from bringing it back sooner. However, I’m glad I waited because in that time the console noise surfaced.

Time to schedule my 7th service visit in 6 months of ownership. In 6 months this is almost as many service visits that I had with my wife’s past 2 MDX’s (2005 and 2008) combined.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:03 AM

The ML went back in for its 7th service visit in 6 months (5,500 miles) and all of the noises that I described in my previous post were duplicated on the road test with MB.

We picked up the ML yesterday and here is what was found. They once again removed all of the panels in the cargo area and this time it seems that a bracket holding on one of the trim panels in place needed to be re-secured.

To fix the center console noise (plastic on plastic sound) they sprayed an interior protectant in the seam where the wood trim meets the storage compartment. They let it pool and as it seeps in it lubricates the panels. At first I wasn’t too happy with this solution, but as crazy as it sounds it worked and there is no noise. And better yet they didn’t have to take more of the interior apart.

The windshield noise (creaking/cracking) although heard again during the road test couldn’t be duplicated when the technician began to work on it.

This really frustrated me because the last 3 times the ML went in for service I told them to please work on the windshield first because since the noise is intermittent common sense would say to work on it while the noise is there. Well once again they decided to work on everything else first and by the time they got to the windshield (the next day) the noise was gone.

Thanks for listening, to be continued…………
Old 06-18-2011, 02:57 PM

Received 118 Likes on 76 Posts
2019 E-450 Wagon
Damn....Sorry to hear that.

When I started reading this thread I was within minuttes of going to my local dealer to test drive a 2011 ML-350 Diesel.

Now I am not so keen anymore, and will be rather sceptical instead of assuming that any MB is a quality product...

I may still stop by the dealer this afternoon, the June specials on $569.00 lease is tempting.

Keep us posted on the problems and good luck.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:55 PM

Thanks NorseWagon and here is the latest.

The clunking noise in the cargo area that was supposedly fixed is back again and is still present. The windshield creaking / cracking noise was back 3 days after service and gone again just as fast a couple of hours later, this is what makes the windsheild noise so frustrating it constantly comes and goes and MB has witnessed this on their own.

I am just so glad MB has duplicated all of these noises so if nothing else they don’t think I’m totally nuts and hearing things.

It really is a shame because as I was putting another layer of wax on it this weekend I couldn’t help but once again admire its looks (Steel Gray, with running boards and matching front tint). It really is a good looking SUV and does ride and handle well, when it isn’t making strange noises.

I do understand that every make and model has its problems and I certainly am not going to trash an entire brand or model line-up because my ML has had these problems, but this is really frustrating. Fortunately my dealer has been fantastic and very accommodating which is making this a little more bearable.

Last edited by Cyber GS; 06-20-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:32 PM

2011 ML550
Trade in for a new 2012 ML.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Problems with 2011 ML350