M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

ML320 CDI Oil Leak (Yup another oil leak!) :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 ML320 CDI
ML320 CDI Oil Leak (Yup another oil leak!) :(

Hello everyone,
First if all thank you kindly for your time and any input you may give me.

I have a 2009 ML320 diesel with 109k which I bought from my brother about a year or so ago.

Initially the infamous oil cooler seals leaked on him and he got it replaced with the new seals and it stopped leaking. However, now I'm starting to see oil drips basically daily on the driveway, and I have tried the following:

I changed the turbo inlet seal to a new one, and the PVC gasket is not leaking - although there is sign that it leaked at one point, there's no more dripping noticed.

I checked the aluminum pipe that goes from the turbo to the silencer, and it is not leaking.

There is no oil on the serpentine belt.

It's difficult to see where the oil is coming from as there is almost zero room on this engine to check, but it drips right at the bottom of the engine - sometimes a few drips, and sometimes a little puddle will form (never consistent).

I'm hoping if anyone can give me other ideals and other places I can check.

Thank you!
Old 09-21-2016, 04:27 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2006 ML320 CDI (2 of) and 2008 GL320
Originally Posted by FrankVillatoro
Hello everyone,
First if all thank you kindly for your time and any input you may give me.

I have a 2009 ML320 diesel with 109k which I bought from my brother about a year or so ago.

Initially the infamous oil cooler seals leaked on him and he got it replaced with the new seals and it stopped leaking. However, now I'm starting to see oil drips basically daily on the driveway, and I have tried the following:

I changed the turbo inlet seal to a new one, and the PVC gasket is not leaking - although there is sign that it leaked at one point, there's no more dripping noticed.

I checked the aluminum pipe that goes from the turbo to the silencer, and it is not leaking.

There is no oil on the serpentine belt.

It's difficult to see where the oil is coming from as there is almost zero room on this engine to check, but it drips right at the bottom of the engine - sometimes a few drips, and sometimes a little puddle will form (never consistent).

I'm hoping if anyone can give me other ideals and other places I can check.

Thank you!

I don't think its any help in your case but I had a small leak from the sensor on the front of the sump (just needed a bit of a turn).

I also have an engine leak but it comes from the LHS front, above the alternator? its really is only drops in my case so I am not worried (yet)...

As in your case it is definitely not front crank seal etc as there is nothing on or around belt.

I have left my under body cover off for the last 6 months to try and assist in finding it but no real positive thing yet.

Good luck.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:02 AM

2009 ML320 CDI
Well, today I noticed that the leak is in the front passenger side of the engine. More specifically, I noticed that the front sway bar bushing on the passenger side is wet with oil, as well as the plastic under panel.

Is it safe to assume then that at this point it's not the oil cooler/turbo inlet gasket/rear mail seal - Correct?

What could be leaking on that side? Although I noticed that the gasket for the oil filler cap is missing and there was oil leaking out at one point (i cleaned it 2 days ago and I don't see any more black oil).

What can leak on that side? I'll remove the under panel and inspect.

Thanks!

(Picture for reference - you can see 3 drips on the front passenger side).

Old 09-22-2016, 04:38 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2006 ML320 CDI (2 of) and 2008 GL320
Is the underside engine cover on or off?
Old 09-22-2016, 11:46 AM

2009 ML320 CDI
Originally Posted by wannawagon
Is the underside engine cover on or off?
The undercover was just removed, and I can see the following:

There's fresh engine oil in Front of the Alternator, but Behind the alternator is clean.

And I see fresh oil on the cold air pipe that goes from the intercooler to the engine intake.

I think that's where the leak is coming from, and under boost the seal lets blow-by oil out.

I can't see where else it would be coming from.

thank you!
Old 09-22-2016, 12:17 PM

2009 ML320 CDI
I believe this is where my leak is.

This is the connection between the intercooler to MAF (I believe) into the engine.
There was fresh oil on the bottom part that faces the ground:

I had to remove this clip (left to right), but it seems as though there should be two (another from right to left), and mine only had one clip... Should there only be two?

Finally, I need to replace this Oring... does anyone have a part number or schematic for this section? THANKS!

Old 09-22-2016, 01:44 PM

2009 ML320 CDI
If anyone ever runs into this problem too, the O-Ring seal is part number 0289974548

Can be found here:

http://www.mbpartsworld.com/p/__/SEA...289974548.html

Ill be getting it later tonight - I hope this does it!
Old 09-27-2016, 11:18 PM

2009 ML320 CDI
Following up on this.

Changed the O-Ring seal 4 days ago and no more leaks!

$3.70 repair.

Thanks for the help.
-Frank