M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Front Dome Light/Sunroof Switch Panel Loose

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML
Front Dome Light/Sunroof Switch Panel Loose

I recently got my sunroof switch replaced and sunroof frame replaced under warranty and when I picked up my ML I found the sunroof switch panel to hang down abit. It was not tight against the headliner. When I asked the foreman he said it was the best he could do since some tabs in the headliner are broken and it was like that before. Is there anyway of fixing this issue without changing the headliner? Is the dealer being lazy and not wanting to fix it? Can I change the headliner tabs or can they custom make one?
Old 06-25-2012, 06:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
Simply say to the dealer... "FIX IT"

Old 06-25-2012, 08:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 ML320CDI
Originally Posted by iankayem

Ditto!! It wasnt like that when your brought it in. The tech must have tried to muscle the part down and broke the tabs. I was able to remove the same assembly off my 1997 E300D after 10 years and it still came off without broken tabs.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:52 PM

ML
Originally Posted by iankayem

Tried with the foreman he said that someone else broke the tabs. They probably don't want to do it cause changing the headliner is probably $1000-$1500 and labour 3-4hrs. Also they would be probably be in trouble from MB since the warranty claim would be under their fault?

I picked it up the edges of my headliner had black grease marks around the edge and the panel. I was pissed off told the shop foreman to clean it and waited 45mins and they just moved the panel up a bit and cleaned it.

The thing is the dealer had my ML for about 2.5 weeks waiting for parts, testing, etc and when I pick it up it looked like crap I cant do anything about it. I cant take it to another dealer right because what can I say?
Old 06-25-2012, 01:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
As far as I am concerned they should be in trouble with MB.

If you give them a car to replace a dome lamp, and they prang it, would you not expect them to fix it?

If they do not volunteer, then you should contact MB direct. Or rather than speaking to the foreman, speak to the dealer principal and threaten to bring it to MB.

Another option is to get a quote from elsewhere, and take it to small claims / consumer affairs.

It is under warranty and you should expect a proper repair.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:02 PM

ML
I spoke to the foreman again few hours ago. He said there is probably a way to fix it but it will require the headliner to come down a little bit which is still quite a abit of work and he says it would be a pain if he has to change or fix something with a sunroof and has to take that panel down again. He is also scared if he does something to fix it that it could be worse than it already is. I would also have to pay the few hours of labour or even more to fix it. Im kind of pissed about me having to pay so I might just take it to my other Benz dealer and see if they have any smart techs that can fix it. I dont know what I would say to them and how to tell them how this happened tho. My vehicle is still under warranty tho.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:34 AM

2013 CTS-V, 2017 Audi Q7 / Past MB's: 2011 ML350 & 2012 ML350
If the vehicle is still under warranty and the sunroof switch panel was not hanging down at all when they replaced the switch I would (politely) demand they fix it as others here have mentioned.

IMO the problem here is that clearly the shop foreman doesn’t want to deal with it because it is a pain in the a$$ job to do to so he is trying come up with any lame excuse why he shouldn’t fix it. He is even trying to plant doubt in your mind by telling you it could get worse if they try to fix it.. All with the hope that you will give up. Well too bad, if they screwed it up they need to make it right.

In my experience the shop foreman (NOT ALL) are always the disgruntled ones in the shop while the techs, service advisors and other staff are generally friendly..

When you go on a test drive with a tech they are usually trying help you get the problem solved. While on a test drive with the shop foreman he is usually trying to explain how everything you are complaining about is normal or I love this one…”Operating as Designed”.. Again this is my experience.

If they still refuse to fix it call MB corporate and tell them the switch was replaced, and now the switch panel doesn’t fit right and your dealer won't fix it, so you need to file a claim..

Good Luck

Last edited by Cyber GS; 06-26-2012 at 08:37 AM.