M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

2011 ML 350 - music from iphone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 350
2011 ML 350 - music from iphone?

Hi everyone,
Just purchased 2011 ML 350 and got the Bluetooth setup ok. Phone works fine, but I can't figure out how to play my music from iphone 5 through Bluetooth. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:04 AM

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
2021 GLS580 | 2011 ML350 BlueTec | 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
2011 doesn't have bluetooth music streaming. If you have the media interface in the glovebox you can use that but since apple changed the connector in the 5 you won't have any control over it from the command system.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:14 PM

2011 ML350 & 2011 SL550
Originally Posted by jkaetz
2011 doesn't have bluetooth music streaming. If you have the media interface in the glovebox you can use that but since apple changed the connector in the 5 you won't have any control over it from the command system.
You simply have to purchase a lightning to 30-pin adapter from Apple for $29.00 and all of your music will be found and controlled from your music interface. All albums, artists, and song will be listed, just as in iTunes. Easy solution...
Old 02-26-2014, 09:54 AM

2010 ML350 4MATIC
Yes, what Hunley said. Connect a 30-pin cable to the media interface in the glovebox, then a 30-pin to lightning adapter to your iPhone 5. You can control the music from COMAND.

If you want Bluetooth streaming music, you'll need to purchase the Mercedes-Benz Media Interface Plus. The MI Plus connects to your existing media interface, then you cable connect or Bluetooth connect to the MI Plus. MI Plus will also pass music info to COMAND for Spotify and Pandora streaming.

The MI Plus enables an new "additional" Bluetooth connection separate from the COMAND Bluetooth used for phone calls. My iPhone 5s can connect to two Bluetooth connections at once, one for phone calls and one for music, but it's a bit sketchy.

If I take a phone call over COMAND Bluetooth while streaming music over MI Plus Bluetooth, the call quality is poor to the point of unusable. So, I use Bluetooth for phone calls and cable connect for music. I still use the MI Plus to serve Bluetooth music streaming for other passengers.

One other quirky issue...while I'm cable connected thru MI Plus, connecting to the MI Plus Bluetooth is hit or miss for my passengers. I have to unconnect my cable for it to work consistently. Too many sources passing thru the MI Plus, I guess.

If you want an alternative to MI Plus for Bluetooth music streaming, take a look at Tune2air.

Last edited by jpcarroll; 02-26-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by jpcarroll
Yes, what Hunley said. Connect a 30-pin cable to the media interface in the glovebox, then a 30-pin to lightning adapter to your iPhone 5. You can control the music from COMAND.

If you want Bluetooth streaming music, you'll need to purchase the Mercedes-Benz Media Interface Plus. The MI Plus connects to your existing media interface, then you cable connect or Bluetooth connect to the MI Plus. MI Plus will also pass music info to COMAND for Spotify and Pandora streaming.

The MI Plus enables an new "additional" Bluetooth connection separate from the COMAND Bluetooth used for phone calls. My iPhone 5s can connect to two Bluetooth connections at once, one for phone calls and one for music, but it's a bit sketchy.

If I take a phone call over COMAND Bluetooth while streaming music over MI Plus Bluetooth, the call quality is poor to the point of unusable. So, I use Bluetooth for phone calls and cable connect for music. I still use the MI Plus to serve Bluetooth music streaming for other passengers.

One other quirky issue...while I'm cable connected thru MI Plus, connecting to the MI Plus Bluetooth is hit or miss for my passengers. I have to unconnect my cable for it to work consistently. Too many sources passing thru the MI Plus, I guess.

If you want an alternative to MI Plus for Bluetooth music streaming, take a look at Tune2air.
Hey, can you just confirm that by using an iPhone 5, I will be able to control the music from the COMAND?

At the moment I'm using an iPod Classic, which is connected to the 30-pin adapter in the glove box. However, I'm not able to control it via the COMAND system, only through the onboard computer (within the odometer) and by using steering controls only. If I use an iPhone 5 (or late gen iPod Touch), will I be able to see the music info and control it via the COMAND?

Thanks
Old 04-02-2014, 10:59 AM

2010 ML350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by tee_tz
Hey, can you just confirm that by using an iPhone 5, I will be able to control the music from the COMAND?

At the moment I'm using an iPod Classic, which is connected to the 30-pin adapter in the glove box. However, I'm not able to control it via the COMAND system, only through the onboard computer (within the odometer) and by using steering controls only. If I use an iPhone 5 (or late gen iPod Touch), will I be able to see the music info and control it via the COMAND?

Thanks
I use an iPhone 5s running iOS 7 connected by cable and I'm able to control the music and see song info from COMAND, and change songs from the steering wheel controls.

Odd that you can control from the steering wheel, but not from COMAND. On the right-side of the wheel, the plus/minus buttons control next/previous songs. On COMAND, it's done from the right/left arrow buttons.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
I use an iPhone 5s running iOS 7 connected by cable and I'm able to control the music and see song info from COMAND, and change songs from the steering wheel controls.

Odd that you can control from the steering wheel, but not from COMAND. On the right-side of the wheel, the plus/minus buttons control next/previous songs. On COMAND, it's done from the right/left arrow buttons.
jpcarroll - so are you using a 30 pin to lightening adapter in your glove box in order to plug in your iPhone 5? And you're selecting AUX on your COMAND right?

I just purchased a 30-Pin to Lightening Adapter from Apple so that I can use my iPhone, but it's still not coming up on COMAND. I suspect there's something in terms of settings that I've not done.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:32 PM

2010 ML350 4MATIC
jpcarroll - so are you using a 30 pin to lightening adapter in your glove box in order to plug in your iPhone 5? And you're selecting AUX on your COMAND right?

I just purchased a 30-Pin to Lightening Adapter from Apple so that I can use my iPhone, but it's still not coming up on COMAND. I suspect there's something in terms of settings that I've not done.
If you're connected via the 30-pin connector in the glovebox, you're using the Media Interface. I don't think that's AUX in COMAND. I thought AUX was for devices connected via the RCA mini-headphone jack.

I actually connect through a Media Interface Plus box which adds Bluetooth capabilities. MI Plus connects to the stock MI, then I connect to MI Plus. Not sure if this is giving me more info and control from COMAND when wired connected, than if I was just using the stock Media Interface. I choose Media from within COMAND where I can control my iPhone5s music.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
If you're connected via the 30-pin connector in the glovebox, you're using the Media Interface. I don't think that's AUX in COMAND. I thought AUX was for devices connected via the RCA mini-headphone jack.

I actually connect through a Media Interface Plus box which adds Bluetooth capabilities. MI Plus connects to the stock MI, then I connect to MI Plus. Not sure if this is giving me more info and control from COMAND when wired connected, than if I was just using the stock Media Interface. I choose Media from within COMAND where I can control my iPhone5s music.
Ok, so my problem seems to be that I don't have "Media Interface" as an option - see photo below.

I've also tried buying an Apple 30-Pin to Lighting Adapter to try my iPhone5 rather than the iPod Classic and still nothing.

Please advise

Old 04-08-2014, 11:51 AM

2010 ML350 4MATIC
Ok, so my problem seems to be that I don't have "Media Interface" as an option
I have the "Media Interface" option between Music Register and AUX. If you don't have the Media Interface, what are you connecting your iPhone to??

I've got nothing else to add. Maybe another member can chime in with answers.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
I have the "Media Interface" option between Music Register and AUX. If you don't have the Media Interface, what are you connecting your iPhone to??

I've got nothing else to add. Maybe another member can chime in with answers.
I have the iPod connector in the glove box and I'm using a Lightening to 30-pin adapter (link: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...30-pin-adapter) to connect my iPhone to the iPod wire.

I wonder if my COMAND needs an update.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Can I add Media interface in the car? If so, how complicated is it to do that?
Old 04-17-2014, 11:18 PM

2011 ML350 bluetec
similar problem...

Similar problem here except I do get media interface in my audio menu... I've got my iPhone 5 connected with bluetooth in my 2011 ML350. I have the apple adaptor for the 30pin to iPhone 5 connector with my phone in the glovebox and click on media interface and I get "Unsupported device"...any suggestions? It is recognizing it but, aren't speaking the same language Do I really need to purchase the MI plus box? My phone and car both have bluetooth already... Thanks for any thoughts!
Old 04-18-2014, 05:33 PM

'11 ml 350
I have been successfully using a 30pin-to-lightning adaptor to connect the media interface glovebox cable connector with my Ipad mini and play music from my Ipad. Once connected, select "audio" on the command screen, then scroll down to select media interface, this will be your ipad/iphone. You can select playlists or tracks from command by going to bottom of the media interface selected screen, select "music" and then whatever option, ie current tracklist, top 25 most played, etc. You can also just select tracks by pressing up or down arrow on the steering wheel control, the track being played displays in the dash info box too as well as on the command screen.

I have an android phone so can't speak for certain that this works with an iphone, but it does work with my ipad mini so I can't see why it wouldn't work with the iphone. By the way, you can use this connection for streaming music as well, you just won't get song info listed. I use the tune in app (not a fan of Pandora) and the internet radio streaming works fine. I use the aux cable to stream radio from my phone or the media interface to stream from my ipad and they both work fine.
Attached Thumbnails 2011 ML 350 - music from iphone?-ml350radio.jpg   2011 ML 350 - music from iphone?-ml350mi.jpg   2011 ML 350 - music from iphone?-ml350tracklist.jpg  
Old 04-18-2014, 05:58 PM

'11 ml 350
You can buy the media interface plus from your dealership

or online. It connects in the glovebox to your existing media interface.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:12 AM

2011 ML350
ipod nano and iphone 5 media connection issues

I have the media interface and the standard 30 pin / aux cable in my glovebox.

I purchased the 30 pin / lightning adapter but cannot get it to read either a 7th generation ipod nano (16GB)or my iphone 5S when connected. They're not even there.

I also purchased the USB connector for the glovebox, which works, but the only real controls are to scroll through a song at a time.

My preference is to use the 30 pin adapter and leave the nano in the glovebox.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? This is an Apple adapter. I knew better than to purchase a knock off.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:54 PM

ML350
If you have updated your iPhone to the latest version ISO8.2 all after market cables and adapters will not work. This new update recognizes and accepts Apple genuine cables/products.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:53 PM

ML 350
ipod - iphone not working

I just bought a 2011 Ml 350. I'm using my old ipod to try to connect to command system and nothing. I bought a blutooth adapter and the blue pairing light is not coming on. Any suggestions