M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Navigation Nightmare

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML-350
Navigation Nightmare

I have 2010 ML-350 with nav. We love the vehicle. Have used the nav on ~10 trips and every time have had problems. I will say it is consistent however. Sends me in opposite direction frequently, will tell me to get on a major highway in 1/4 mile, long after I am on the highway, etc. The onscreen map has scant info and looks like an 8 year old's coloring book. User interface is cumbersome. Service tech at dealership tells me most of his customers complain, his wife has same vehicle and she has same criticisms. Tells me I can upgrade the info for the map but the functionality can't be changed. ???Really??? Has anyone found a Garmin or third party device that is state of the art that works through the in dash screen? Thanks for your help.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:46 PM

ML350 BlueTec 2010 - Bought Sep.2014
I just picked up a ML350 BlueTec this weekend and have not been too impressed with the Nav system. I asked by dealer to quote me on an upgrade. Although I suspect that the 2014 DVD would mostly include updated maps, I expect some 'tweeking' on the interface side. If you have already upgraded, please share your experience. I should be doing mine in a few weeks...
Old 10-09-2014, 08:51 AM

2011 ML350 Sport 231, 2002 Saab 9-5 2.3lpt - Maptun Stage 1
I have a 2011 ML350 here in the UK - I'm really impressed with the navigation, I would say it took a little while to figure it all out - but on the whole its a great package.

The only issue I have is occasionally it thinks I'm off road - but when I check the number of satellites its tracking there is usually around 9 - so I put it down to some lag in the software.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'11 ML350
it's infinitely cheaper and simpler to buy a $79 Garmin - although it won't look quite as elegant as a stand alone piece, functionality will be far better than the crappy factory NAV units. Oh, and map updates are frequently free or at least a one time time charge for the life of the unit.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:43 AM

2009 ML320 Bluetec
Well, not infinitely cheaper but no matter Garmin's faults for less than the $250 one-time map update cost from Navteq/M-B you can get a much better standalone Garmin with lifetime map updates.

I travel with a Garmin 1490. 5" with lifetime map updates and a crude traffic warning system broadcast on a sub channel of FM stations. Garmin skimped on the map memory for this model so it won't automatically update when connected to computer. One must manually select a subset of the North America maps to get it to fit. Garmin says, "just install a 4GB SD-micro card!" Tried that and the GPS was so slow it couldn't search for a restaurant on interstate and find anything fast enough that it didn't restart the search for how far it has moved during the search. IE: never finds anything for having started over and over.