M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

How to wire this aftermarket LED DRL kit for W164?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 ML350
Looking good!!
Old 01-11-2016, 04:36 PM

2010 ML 350
I need help with this upgrade. My kit came with stand-alone wiring for each individual fog light, so they are not chained together. They are currently working the same as the Fog lights behavior. I've found out that if I leave the lights switch pulled for Fog lights on when I restart the vehicle the switch remain on the same position kinda auto light.

I've attached some pics. Does anyone know what to do in order to wire them together so that I can then connect to the fuse box so they can stay always on whenever the vehicle is on with the switch turned on the Auto position as normal.

Thanks for the input.

Old 01-11-2016, 04:44 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
ML 550
This is definitely a different kit than the ones posted above and like

Your gonna need some splicing for sure and extending to the fuse box. That's the easy part. Connect all the red wires to the fuse box and ground the black wires.

The problem is once you cut them off the red control box's what happens then? Will it throw a code that the fogs are not functioning?
Old 01-11-2016, 06:53 PM
bha

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
On most other MB's (W221 S class for example) it is best to wire them directly to the side marker lights.

I would do the same with your W164. That way whenever the car starts up, the lights will come on. They will shut off when you turn the car off. All of this will be independant of the headlights and headlight switch.

Basically they will always come on when the engine is running and shut off when the engine is not running.

I believe the marker lights in a W164 are in the corner of the headlamp (rather than a separate lamp like in the W220 and W221). I would just tap the wiring going to the marker light. These LED's use so little current it won't be a problem (but I'd use a fuse anyhow)
Old 01-12-2016, 10:53 AM

2010 ML 350
Originally Posted by bha
On most other MB's (W221 S class for example) it is best to wire them directly to the side marker lights.

I would do the same with your W164. That way whenever the car starts up, the lights will come on. They will shut off when you turn the car off. All of this will be independant of the headlights and headlight switch.

Basically they will always come on when the engine is running and shut off when the engine is not running.

I believe the marker lights in a W164 are in the corner of the headlamp (rather than a separate lamp like in the W220 and W221). I would just tap the wiring going to the marker light. These LED's use so little current it won't be a problem (but I'd use a fuse anyhow)
This circuit box has the 2 ends to hook up the vehicle original connector and from the box to the actual light.

So can I just cut the wires that go to the light

from the box and wire them together, and connect to a constant power source along with an inline fuse of course. Basically the red box will just be hooked up to the vehicle

Old 01-14-2016, 02:28 PM

ML 550
you got the idea. But I would connect the two wires you cut off from the red box.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:33 AM

ML 550
Well this sucks. My driver side one is dead.

If one of the LED's bulbs dies would it take out the entire set?

Anyone had one of these go on them? What was the remedy?
Old 02-16-2016, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ml350
Well at least the prices on these have gone quite bit down on these. Worst case, just buy a new set.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:22 PM

ML 550

um how have they gone down? I am checking on ebay and after shipping and duties it still is a lit for an led.

I'm going a different route.

I'm going to remove the LED and split open the lens and try to retrofit these instead.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:38 PM

2010 ML 350
Originally Posted by OUZO Power
you got the idea. But I would connect the two wires you cut off from the red box.
I kinda have an idea of how to route the cable, but somewhat scare. I think I will live with this setup for a while.

As it is the LED are on the Fog lights setup, so all I do is leave the knob turned to lights and pulled for fog lights, that way they are always one since the MB automatically shuts power whenever the vehicle is off.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:39 PM

2010 Mercedes ml350
Hey guys, so I'm having some serious issues with these fog lights and just LED in general on the Benz. I've only even installed LED products on subarus/Japanese cars so I suppose the same rules don't apply.. Anyways. I tried to wire the lights up like the post on the first page. The Red wire to the red fuse spot on the fuse box, and then the Black wire to the ground on the bolt behind the fuse box. I also tried the bolt that sticks up just to the left and in front of the fuse box. So the lights come on and stay on fine. As soon as I kick it into gear or reverse they just turn off and on randomly all the time. I tried tapping the red into the inner drl/parking light and this just resulted in the lights continuously on and off every 2 to 3 seconds at all times. Does anyone know what is going on or how to remedy this? I'm, so confused...
Old 10-18-2018, 11:59 PM

ML350
Same problem here! I tried plugging into a fuse with a higher amperage. But that didn’t work. The seller has agreed to issue me a full refund.

Originally Posted by Tyler Moye
Hey guys, so I'm having some serious issues with these fog lights and just LED in general on the Benz. I've only even installed LED products on subarus/Japanese cars so I suppose the same rules don't apply.. Anyways. I tried to wire the lights up like the post on the first page. The Red wire to the red fuse spot on the fuse box, and then the Black wire to the ground on the bolt behind the fuse box. I also tried the bolt that sticks up just to the left and in front of the fuse box. So the lights come on and stay on fine. As soon as I kick it into gear or reverse they just turn off and on randomly all the time. I tried tapping the red into the inner drl/parking light and this just resulted in the lights continuously on and off every 2 to 3 seconds at all times. Does anyone know what is going on or how to remedy this? I'm, so confused...
Old 04-13-2019, 12:19 AM

W164
Voltage and amperage for DRL led

Hi guys, ok. I bought my first set 5 years ago for my W164. That set had the two box. Everything worked fine for 3 years. Then my right fog DRL led went out. I bought a second set that has one box, connected to the fuse box. Everything worked for about 1 1/2 years. Then I started to encounter off and on during acceleration. A couple of months ago. I got up in the morning to get into the car, and the LED DRL were on. It drained my battery. Had to call AAA to get a jump. It did this again about a week later. The last several weeks, the light has been “kaput”. I opened the box, however looks like the manufacturer had seal it with some kind of resin compound. I purchased two 12V DC to 5V 10 amp 50 watt step down converter. I wired it up with an inline fuse. And plug it into the fuse box. However, it’s a no go. I can’t get the LED DRL to come on.

My my question is, does anyone know what the LED DRL input power would be? I was assuming 5V 10 amp. But doesn’t look like that works. Can anyone assist with wiring recommendations, or verify what does each LED DRL power requirements are?