M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

New W164 ML350 owner

Old 06-24-2014, 03:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ML350
New W164 ML350 owner

Hi all,

Checking in with a new-to-me '06 ML350 that I've had just over a week.

Car history:
'93 Integra LS Auto -> '04 Accord EXL 5sp -> '05 BMW 330Ci ZHP 6sp (loved it) -> '06 MB C230 base (hated it) -> '07 BMW 335i coupe 6sp (loved it) -> '06 ML350 (loving it so far!)

I'm also a motorcycle nut:
'07 Honda CBR 125R -> '07 Yamaha R6 + '05 Kawasaki KLR650 -> '05 Kawasaki ZX6R track bike -> '05 Suzuki VStrom 650 -> '09 BMW K1300S (current)

The car is a local, single-owner vehicle. Leased, then bought-out and serviced by the same original owner at local dealerships. Unfortunately I don't have any service records, but I did speak with the local MB dealer and confirmed that the car has been well maintained. I'll try to pop by the dealer sometime soon to see whether they can give me a print-out of services done.

No accidents and the car is immaculately clean (got a very good detailing by the dealer I bought it from). Odometer reads 104,000 km (65,000 miles).

Car is very well equipped with leather/suede seats, bi-xenons, navigation, auto-folding mirrors, a whole bunch of other goodies, and my favourite, air-suspension.
I do already miss having parking sensors, though.

The "dream list" of mods includes:

- ipod integration kit (preferably with bluetooth)
- rear camera or parking sensors (maybe both)
- covering up the rear seats (dog-proofing)
- covering up the cargo area (dog-proofing)
- covering up some of the chrome on the grille with glossy black (will probably try plastidip)

The purchase included 2 years of "Limited superior protection" warranty through Lubrico. I've read mixed reviews about them, but it sounds that as long as you follow their maintenance requirements (an oil change every 6 months or 10,000 km/6000 miles) and "record" the maintenance in their system, you won't have much problems with them. I'm glad to have this piece of mind.

There are brand new tires installed on very clean 19" wheels. The tires are Taiwan-special Atturo AZ800, which translates to "garbage." I'll be looking into replacing these with a Michelin set sometime soon.

That said, even with these crappy tires, I'm very impressed by the ride. I'm finding myself driving and cornering at the same speeds as I was doing in my 335i without any issues; it handles very well and tracks predictably. Haven't had any tire squeal or loss of traction yet. The acceleration is also quite nice - feels much better than the E70 3.0 si models I've driven. Power is linear and smooth - you don't feel the torque at all. The brakes are taking some time to get used to, and I might look into upgrading them in the future. The brake pads are also supposedly brand new, but if tires are any indication, they'll be garbage and should be replaced with quality ones.

Now a few crappy, dark-parking-lot photos:

New W164 ML350 owner-qugdsgt.jpg

New W164 ML350 owner-upvstqy.jpg

I'd love some advice on inexpensive mods to improve looks, comfort, practicality, and maybe performance? I've already read through mercupgrades.com, but didn't find too much info on what I'm after.

I've already added a ProMountUSA cellphone mount (fantastic, as they always are) and hardwired my Valentine V1 and dash cam (another one coming in the mail for the rear view, too).

I've got an AUX input which "does the job" so far, but I definitely want to hook up a proper iPod integration kit. I've had kits in all my previous cars and am pretty picky for what I want:
- ability to control music/playlists from both steering wheel and iPod itself at the same time; I don't want the iPod being "locked out" while connected (as was the case w/ the OEM iPod kit I installed in my C230)
- music should resume playing automatically as soon as I turn the car on (no 30 second delays with aftermarket Android head units)
- my (old) iPhone should charge

I also want to install a backup camera - any suggestions for what's the best way to do this? I found this guide for a wireless camera install, which sounds quite straight forward, but I believe the author is using an aftermarket head unit. Can I plug & play the camera into my OEM head unit? Which HU do I even have? Sounds like there are various versions (2.0, 2.5, 4, 4.5?).

Has anyone used this Dension GW52MO2 unit for iPod and bluetooth integration?

I've a feeling the navigation software is fairly recent (I'm in a new neighbourhood and it's on the map), but it sure feels like it's from... 2006. Any way to upgrade to better software, or get Navigon from my phone on the screen?

Last edited by kerunt; 06-24-2014 at 03:20 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 ML320CDI
Looks nice, same color as mine. Looks to be fairly loaded, with HID, 3 zone AC. Just a quick question, is this RWD? I dont see the 4matic symbol.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 709 Likes on 691 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
for backup camera, it won't be plug & play unless you get all the necessary parts to retrofit...
u can use either dension or mobridge for bt/ipod integration...
Old 06-24-2014, 12:41 PM

2006 ML350
Originally Posted by 06e320cdi
Looks nice, same color as mine. Looks to be fairly loaded, with HID, 3 zone AC. Just a quick question, is this RWD? I dont see the 4matic symbol.
Where should the 4MATIC symbol be? I've ran the VIN through the decoder on this site and do see 4MATIC & 4 wheel drive mentioned:

Name:  YCdMmKT.png
Views: 8
Size:  503 Bytes

Name:  AS5gGOn.png
Views: 8

Name:  zMObUje.png
Views: 7

Originally Posted by MJ50
for backup camera, it won't be plug & play unless you get all the necessary parts to retrofit...
u can use either dension or mobridge for bt/ipod integration...
Is there a guide somewhere specifying the necessary parts for retrofit?
Old 06-24-2014, 12:47 PM

2006 ML350
Just read through the options sheet in detail and the 'Exterior' category doesn't seem right. It mentions 'black grille,' but mine looks chrome, and I don't have a power assisted tailgate. Also not sure how to check for a rear foglight...
Old 06-24-2014, 02:47 PM

2008 ML320CDI
Rear Foglight, pull out headlight switch 2 clicks, 1st click front fogs, 2nd click rear fog... Should say 4MATIC on right side of hatch, opposite ML350.. Your best best is to get a free account at epc.startekinfo.com/epc Just need credit card to sign up, but no fee is assessed. This way you can input your VIN and and see the data card which will cover all the codes of options.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:52 PM

2006 ML350
Originally Posted by 06e320cdi
Rear Foglight, pull out headlight switch 2 clicks, 1st click front fogs, 2nd click rear fog... Should say 4MATIC on right side of hatch, opposite ML350.. Your best best is to get a free account at epc.startekinfo.com/epc Just need credit card to sign up, but no fee is assessed. This way you can input your VIN and and see the data card which will cover all the codes of options.
Thanks for the info!
Old 06-24-2014, 04:01 PM

2006 ML350
No-go on using startekinfo.com. Even after successfully going through the registration (which was a pain since I'm in Canada and needed my ZIP code to match the one on the credit card), the Java applet won't run because I'm on a Mac and they don't support Macs. Quite bizarre as Java is cross platform. Ugh.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:48 AM

2008 ML320CDI
Originally Posted by kerunt
No-go on using startekinfo.com. Even after successfully going through the registration (which was a pain since I'm in Canada and needed my ZIP code to match the one on the credit card), the Java applet won't run because I'm on a Mac and they don't support Macs. Quite bizarre as Java is cross platform. Ugh.
Sorry to hear that, if you want to PM me your VIN, I will run it and send you back the data card info from the build, at least you will have all the build codes. Some are needed when getting parts.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Ml 350
same thing happen to me. I'm on Mac. and about to buy a new ML
Old 07-01-2014, 06:52 PM

2006 ML350
It has been a couple weeks with the car now and I'm loving it more than ever!

I've added a few goodies:

- ProClip USA cellphone mount (had one in my 335i and loved it, this one is just as good)
-
Rear seat cover Rear seat cover
- $45 shipped and it's great
- CanvasBack Cargo cover - $180 shipped including the rear hatch cover

I couldn't find a cargo cover that would work with the 'cargo management' option my car has (the silver tracks which allow you to re-position D-rings and other goodies), so I called CanvasBack, and after a few phone calls, emails, and diagrams, they made me a custom cover that fits perfectly, securely, covers just about every little nook and cranny, and still retains the cargo area's usability. Love it! If you need a cover for your car, I highly recommend giving them a call.

See the photos of the cargo cover at http://imgur.com/a/PxgL7.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:43 PM

2008 ML350
It has been a couple weeks with the car now and I'm loving it more than ever!

I've added a few goodies:

- ProClip USA cellphone mount (had one in my 335i and loved it, this one is just as good)
- Rear seat cover - $45 shipped and it's great
- CanvasBack Cargo cover - $180 shipped including the rear hatch cover

I couldn't find a cargo cover that would work with the 'cargo management' option my car has (the silver tracks which allow you to re-position D-rings and other goodies), so I called CanvasBack, and after a few phone calls, emails, and diagrams, they made me a custom cover that fits perfectly, securely, covers just about every little nook and cranny, and still retains the cargo area's usability. Love it! If you need a cover for your car, I highly recommend giving them a call.

See the photos of the cargo cover at http://imgur.com/a/PxgL7.
Hi, where did you bought the canvas cargo cover...Do you mind sharing the link?

Thanks, Pendu
Old 09-18-2014, 06:45 PM

2006 ML350
Originally Posted by penduboy
Hi, where did you bought the canvas cargo cover...Do you mind sharing the link?

Thanks, Pendu
http://stores.canvasback.com/

Best to call them and talk to Pete.