M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

MB refusing to work on COMAND

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
MB refusing to work on COMAND

Hi, I put my ML350 into MB for a software upgrade on the COMAND system (which was working fine). It ended up screwing my sat nav and voice activation features. After 2 further visits, MB eventually came back and said that the COMAND unit had been fitted AFTER manufacture, and they cannot therefore get the codes from MB Head Office to complete the software upgrade until I've given them a receipt for the COMAND system to prove it isn't stolen.

Now I bought the car privately, and the guy i bought it from bought it from a dealer 3 yrs ago and cannot remember his name.

So there's no evidence that the unit is stolen, and MB have screwed up my sat nav and voice control, and now refuse to do anything else. They also say that its not possible to put it back to how it was before they applied the update.

In my view, MB have broken my COMAND system and must at least put it back to state it was in before they started. And, if MB have a policy NOT to work on unauthenticated COMAND units, then surely they should check the authentication of the unit BEFORE they START the work.

Anyone else had experience of this, or have a view on what MB should be doing (if anything)?

Thank you.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 ML320CDI
I think you need to open case with MBUSA. If the unit was replace during its life under warranty, they should ave documentation of any work done at a dealer.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:55 AM

ML350
Thanks for quick response.

To clarify, I don't know when or who fitted the COMAND. MB tell me its a unit from a B Class merc (from Germany) and its flagged as "potentially stolen" (whatever that means). They can't confirm that it is stolen as they can't trace the car.

They are also saying that the unit shouldn't be in the car (not sure if that means its NOT compatible - does anyone know - it worked absolutely fine before?). Bottom line is that they went ahead with the update without checking it, which in my book means they need to rectify it by putting the system back to its original state (which they can't do apparently). So they should assume the unit is NOT stolen, release the bl**dy codes and fix it.

I'm not impressed with MB!
Old 07-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 715 Likes on 696 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
your best bet is to contact MBUSA...
Old 07-09-2014, 01:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 E63 AMG
Keep us informed
Old 07-09-2014, 04:29 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '89 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
Good luck with that. It took me 8 tries to get my faulty Command unit replaced under warranty. Somehow or other MB customer service doesn't quite live up to their advertising. Have never had so much hassles with BMW, Audi, VW or Porsche.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:33 PM

2009 ML320 Bluetec
I respect their desire to protect Mercedes-Benz products from theft but based on your description they are totally inept if they can not trace your COMMAND unit to the original VIN. What next? Can't trace an engine S/N to the original vehicle?

I think you are correct in that your dealer broke it, your dealer is responsible for fixing it. They would have had a leg to stand on had they refused to attempt an upgrade/update, but they didn't.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ML350
Originally Posted by nickwri
Hi, I put my ML350 into MB for a software upgrade on the COMAND system (which was working fine). It ended up screwing my sat nav and voice activation features. After 2 further visits, MB eventually came back and said that the COMAND unit had been fitted AFTER manufacture, and they cannot therefore get the codes from MB Head Office to complete the software upgrade until I've given them a receipt for the COMAND system to prove it isn't stolen.

Now I bought the car privately, and the guy i bought it from bought it from a dealer 3 yrs ago and cannot remember his name.

So there's no evidence that the unit is stolen, and MB have screwed up my sat nav and voice control, and now refuse to do anything else. They also say that its not possible to put it back to how it was before they applied the update.

In my view, MB have broken my COMAND system and must at least put it back to state it was in before they started. And, if MB have a policy NOT to work on unauthenticated COMAND units, then surely they should check the authentication of the unit BEFORE they START the work.

Anyone else had experience of this, or have a view on what MB should be doing (if anything)?

Thank you.
If this was not under warranty service, and you were paying fir it, their fault. Lawyer up.