M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

W164 Headlight Mod [PICS]

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 07:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 Estate
W164 Headlight Mod [PICS]

Original Thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/ml55-amg-...cs-inside.html

Thought i would share it here with you guys. Might inspire some others to do this mod too??

So,

I decided to do a little headlight mod, which i had been wanting to do for a long time now.

I had purchased off eBay, some LED DRL/ Blinker lights, with the intention of installing them on my car. (Link here : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2Pcs-9LED...d22d6cc&_uhb=1 )

I didint want to put them in a normal place, like in the grill, like most do.

I am aware that one could buy aftermarket headlights, for our cars from eBay, with DRLs built in, but i didint like the design of them, and the placement of the blinker, where the high beam usually is. They looked cheap.
Not to mention, they are not compatible with Facotry Xenons

I wanted to install them within the headlight, like the aftermarket one. But since where i wanted to install them, blocked the main blinker on the front, i needed one with an integrated blinker. Hence why i got the ones i did.

The headlights were held together with Silicone. It was a bit of a mission cutting the silicone out. I heated it up to help, but still not easy!

While in the process of pulling the headlights apart, i gave them a good clean inside, and also painted the chrome inside, to black (like the Late 2010 + ML's. I think they called them Edition 10)

I painted the inside with PlastiDip. Turned out flawless.

Taking the bumper bar off was surprisingly pretty easy (my first attempt at taking a bumper bar off a vehicle) I did have assistance from a friend with removal. Hard to do by ones self.

Anyway, these pics are of the headlight complete, and the bumper is just sitting there. I havnt installed it back in yet, but wanted to post some pics for everyone to see.

Please comment, and let me know what you think. Positive & Negative comments welcome.

Anyone who has tried taking pics of lights, knows they never turn out properly. This is no exception. I feel in real life, they look much better.

In the high beam, i had also installed 35W LED projectors, which is soo much brighter than the OEM high beam. Great for country roads at night.

BEFORE:

AFTER

The End.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 ML320 CDI
Cool. Thanks for sharing.

Could you post some more pics of the headlight disassembly?

Also, could you answer my question post below as to whether it would be possible to clean up fogged Xenon lenses?
Old 07-15-2014, 05:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 Estate
Originally Posted by SQLGuy
Cool. Thanks for sharing.

Could you post some more pics of the headlight disassembly?

Also, could you answer my question post below as to whether it would be possible to clean up fogged Xenon lenses?
I unfortunately dont have any more pics of the disassembly. I regret not taking more, but i was so excited doing it, it didn't think of it.

Yes, when its all apart, you can clean all the parts inside the headlight, including fogged xenon magnifiers.

Mine also were slightly fogged.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 ML320 CDI
Thanks.

Can you also share what you used as a source of heat to loosen the seals? Was it just a hair dryer, or a commercial heat gun, or something else?
Old 07-15-2014, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 Estate
I used the trust old oven.
Lots of youtube vids on that
Old 07-22-2014, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you mind sharing the link again to the exact lights you purchased? The link you posted in the original thread links to a search of LED DRL's and there's a ton to choose from there.

Also, how was the wiring/electrical hook-up? Pretty straight forward? I don't assume it was just plug and play, but if it was, great.

Any other tips on doing this? Anything you came upon that would help someone (tough parts, tricks, etc).

Thanks!

*Looks great by the way. Gives it a quick modern update, as if the car was 3 or 4 years newer.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 Estate
Hi mate.
These ones appear the be the ones i used.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-9LED-D...58c1e0b&_uhb=1

What i did was basically splice into the existing blinker wiring, and park light wiring.

I removed the original park bulbs, and spliced the DRL component into that. Since LEDs dont draw as much power as the regular park bulb, i also added a 10w load resistor [link below] so i wouldnt get any error messages.

The hardest part of all of this was probably pulling the headlight apart, and putting it back together. Takes patience. But if your a DIY type of person, you wont have any problem.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-501-T1...2548df2&_uhb=1
Old 07-22-2014, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the reply/info.

So they are white DRL's, and then when you turn the blinker on, they blink orange. Is that correct?

What did you do with the park lights? I'm thinking you mean the light nearest the middle (so it goes (from outside in), HEADLIGHT / HI BEAM / PARK LIGHT). Did you just take out the bulb, and leave the socket empty?

Lastly, when looking at the headlights, are there gaps around the LED unit where it sits inside the headlight? That is, does it look like someone put an LED bar into a headlight where it doesn't fit correctly, or does it look factory (can't tell that someone installed and LED unit into it)?

Did you splice the 10W resistor into both the DRL part and turn signal part?

Lastly, was the resistor "in-line" or did you need to splice to a positive and a ground? I once installed resistors for LED DRL's on my RS4, and that was simply in-line.

Sorry for all the questions, I would just like to have all the answers and clear info before I start taking anything off of the car!

Thanks again.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 Estate
Thanks for the reply/info.
No Problem

So they are white DRL's, and then when you turn the blinker on, they blink orange. Is that correct?
YES- Link below to video

What did you do with the park lights? I'm thinking you mean the light nearest the middle (so it goes (from outside in), HEADLIGHT / HI BEAM / PARK LIGHT). Did you just take out the bulb, and leave the socket empty?
Yes, removed factory bulb, and left the holder there, so no moisture would get into the headlight

Lastly, when looking at the headlights, are there gaps around the LED unit where it sits inside the headlight? That is, does it look like someone put an LED bar into a headlight where it doesn't fit correctly, or does it look factory (can't tell that someone installed and LED unit into it)?
Honestly, up close, and i mean from anywhere 30cm or closer, upon staring at it, yes you can tell there has been a modification done. Though, this can be circumvented, by possibly experimenting with different setups of LED strips, etc.
I was very happy with the outcome of my first try.

Did you splice the 10W resistor into both the DRL part and turn signal part?
No, only the Park light part. The blinker you dont have to, as our cars have 2 blinker bulbs per head light. Removing one (which is what you do, remove the larger one that is under the high beam lights- and put the DRL bar light in that place), and leave the 'corner' factory one in place, so people from side on can see the indicator working.

Lastly, was the resistor "in-line" or did you need to splice to a positive and a ground? I once installed resistors for LED DRL's on my RS4, and that was simply in-line.
In line

Sorry for all the questions, I would just like to have all the answers and clear info before I start taking anything off of the car!
All good. If i can be of help, im happy to assit

Old 07-22-2014, 10:57 AM

That lights look great in the video.

Did you leave the "side" / smaller turn signal bulb stock, or did you change it to an amber LED to match the amber LED larger turn signal part? I assume you left it stock since you didn't use a resistor. If so, does it match the color ok to the amber LED turn signals?
Old 07-22-2014, 11:16 AM

Hopefully last questions!

Would you be able to check your ebay listing and see what dimensions your lights are? Since yours fit inside, wanted to be sure the ones I order would as well. I'm looking at eBay (US), and see two models. They look identical, except the wiring is different (one has 3 wires coming right from the back, while the other has longer black wires coming out (also 3)).

3 Colored Wires:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-9LED-Daytime-Running-Driving-DRL-Turn-Signal-Lights-/320740521168?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aad9ff4d0&vxp=mtr
Longer black wires:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-9LED-Daytime-Running-Driving-DRL-Turn-Signal-Lights-White-Amber-Lamp-MA272-/200934137997?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec89ba08d&vxp=mtr
Dimensions are the same on both:
30 x 2.5 x 3.2 CM (11.8''(L) x 1.0''(W) x 1.25''(H))

And just saw your other vid with the tail lights. What tail lights are those?

I've got a 2009 ML63, and looking to update her a bit.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:45 PM

Couple more questions came up, and figured I'd ask (if you don't mind answering!).

- Are those LED tail lights OEM or aftermarket? Did you need to update/configure your SAM to use them? Did you need a new SAM?

- When your headlights are on (at night), is the DRL on, or do they turn off when the headlights come on?

- You wouldn't happen to have a pic of how your wiring looks behind the headlights would you?

- What did you use to paint the inside of the headlights? Normal spray paint, or plasti-dip?

- The reflector in your headlights is clear (presumably because you're in Australia). Does that reflector come out? That is, if I can find/order a clear one, I would, but since I'll be inside the headlight, if I can't find a clear reflector, I'll just take this one out to clean up the look.

Has anyone with a black ML painted their headlight black? It looks good on the silver ML, but not sure if I'd like it on the black without seeing it first.

Thanks again for your help with this. Looks like I'll be ordering the parts and doing this shortly.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 Estate
Couple more questions came up, and figured I'd ask (if you don't mind answering!).

- Are those LED tail lights OEM or aftermarket? Did you need to update/configure your SAM to use them? Did you need a new SAM?
They are OEM. They were standard issue from Late 2008 up until W164's end. (in Australia at least)

- When your headlights are on (at night), is the DRL on, or do they turn off when the headlights come on?
They remain on.

- You wouldn't happen to have a pic of how your wiring looks behind the headlights would you?
I dont sorry. I have already sold the car.

- What did you use to paint the inside of the headlights? Normal spray paint, or plasti-dip?
Plasti Dip. About 5 coats.

- The reflector in your headlights is clear (presumably because you're in Australia). Does that reflector come out? That is, if I can find/order a clear one, I would, but since I'll be inside the headlight, if I can't find a clear reflector, I'll just take this one out to clean up the look.
Yes, it just pops out. In Australia, they are always clear. If you cant find clear ones, maybe spray that section silver?

Has anyone with a black ML painted their headlight black? It looks good on the silver ML, but not sure if I'd like it on the black without seeing it first.
Here is a pic of the update W164 that came out from late 2010 in Australia.
Black Headlights as standard
Raised Hood
Update Mirrors.

Thanks again for your help with this. Looks like I'll be ordering the parts and doing this shortly.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:29 AM

You don't own the car anymore, and still providing all this help?! Thanks!! Much appreciated.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 Estate
Haha, no prob man.
Love to see others mod their cars, and help where i can
Old 08-17-2014, 04:16 PM

AMG893, if you're around and can give any quick advice...that'd be great.

I've got the car apart and working on the wiring right now, trying to figure out what goes where. Below are pictures of the turn signal socket, and the DRL socket.

Additionally, the red/white/black is the DRL/Turn signal combo I purchased from eBay.

Do you recall what you spliced to where?

Pic 1: Turn signal socket.

Pic 2: DRL Socket

Pic 3: New DRL/Turn Signal that I'm installing.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:16 PM

I think I'm starting to figure it out.

If I splice the red (DRL LED) wire into the green wire on the DRL bulb, and the black (ground DRL LED) wire into the orange DRL bulb, the LED blinks 10 times, and shuts off.

If I do this on the turn signal socket, I get the same result. Blinks 10 times and then nothing.

I'm thinking it's something to do with the resistors, but can't figure it out.

I've tried a 10W 50 Ohm, and a 6W 50 Ohm , and then tried with both of them in line, and I get the same result.

Anyone have an idea what I should try next?

EDIT: After some more work/research, the resistor worked fine, but they're not in-line, they have to go across from the positive to the negative.

Last edited by MLGuy; 08-18-2014 at 01:07 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:06 AM

Started a new thread specifically to the wiring as I'd like to draw as much attention to that as possible. I'm in need of some help.

https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...ml#post6139323
Old 04-30-2019, 04:51 PM

2015 ML 500, 2015 VW GOLF GTI, 2007 ML 63 AMG, 1967 MB 250s
ML63 W164 Poor Headlights

I am having a lot problems seeing at night with the stock OEM headlights of my 2007 ML63 AMG. The are Xenon (D2S Xenon Xtreme Vision Gen 2) low beam and for the high beam, they are H7 halogens (Sylvania SilverStar Ultra). Fog lights are H7 Halogen (Hella 100W High Wattage). Any recomendations on how to upgrade the Xenon (they are too dim, even though I put the new ones which are supposed to be the best ones. I will really appreciate your help on this.