M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Check Engine after Balance Shaft repair

Old 07-20-2014, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ML350
Check Engine after Balance Shaft repair

Hey everyone, I'm a new member here but have been using these forums as a reference for years.

I've been dealing with the dreaded balance shaft issue for the past year or so on my 2006 ML350, and have finally came to terms with myself and decided that I would do the job (no way in hell I would pay mbz $7000 to fix the problem they created). The job took 7 days (I put some extra tender love and care to make it look pretty), went as well as I had hoped, no issues, was able to start it first try, no leaks, and it runs great.

But... here are the sequence of events:

1) After first start the check engine light was still on. Fault P0016 P0017

2) I used the Android Torque app and a generic OBDII device to attempt to clear the faults. The app never gave a confirmation that anything was done, but after a few engine starts the check engine light went away.

3) I took it for an 8 mile drive to a store and parked it; no check engine light the whole drive. When I returned to the car and started it the check engine light came back. Fault P0017

4) Came home swapped the intake and exhaust sensors on the right bank in attempt to confirm that its a sensor malfunction. And used the Torque app to attempt to clear the faults (I'm really not sure if the Torque app did anything).

5) With the faults cleared I went for another drive to a different store. Returned to the car and took a longer way home (20 mile round trip) and no check engine light. Parked. Restarted. Still no check engine light.

6) Next day (yesterday) I decided to go for a long drive (200 mile round trip) to get some miles I need for a smog check. Drove about 80 miles and stopped for lunch. Continued my drive for another 10 miles or so and CHECK ENGINE! Ahh! Fault P0016 P0017.

7) Wasn't able to clear the faults until I got home and got a different Android app. This new apps seems to actually communicate well with my OBDII device instantly clearing the faults and reading all the info (RPM, Temp, Speed, Throttle, etc.)

So, still no check engine light, but I plan I trying again today for the 200 miles I need... registration is due Tuesday... I know, cutting it close.

Does this look like a sensor malfunction? Wiring problem? Also, I noticed that every time I start my engine, the check engine light stays on for about a second then goes away, is this normal?... might just be paranoid now.

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2014, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w164
we have similar problem , however mine is worst