M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Everything Makes Noise (interior)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everything Makes Noise (interior)

I've got a 2009 ML63. Purchased the car used a few months ago.

I love the car in every aspect...except for the fit and finish. Coming from Audi, and a newer C-Class prior...I can say this ML is not to par with the quality of the fit and finish one would expect from a luxury brand.

When I hit a bump, hear everything rattle. You can shake the center console and it rattles, even move about in your seat, and it "rattles". Everything just has this weird plastic on plastic sound. I'm not sure if "rattles" is the best term to explain it.

Is this normal for the ML. Do they all "make noise"?

What really drives me nuts is the steering wheel. When I get in the car, it lowers to the programmed position, and when I get out, it raises. I know I can turn this feature off, but the leather boot surrounding the steering wheel shouldn't make a crunchy leather noise when the steering wheel lowers. Any idea how to fix this? Take it all apart, condition the leather maybe?

More of a vent than anything, but also interested if it's all W164 ML's that do this, or for some reason AMG sent this one out as a rattle can.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:15 AM

ML 350
My '09 does some of the same things. Maybe not quite so many but there's definitely strange plastic on plastic sounds and yes, my seat too!

I noticed this before I bought the car but thought I'd either fix them or learn to deal with them. Even my dash makes some funky noises. I don't get rattles but do get the plastic on plastic sound.

Sometimes its enough to drive you if you're a type A, OCD type!

Originally Posted by PolishPete

I love the car in every aspect...except for the fit and finish. Coming from Audi, and a newer C-Class prior...I can say this ML is not to par with the quality of the fit and finish one would expect from a luxury brand.

When I hit a bump, hear everything rattle. You can shake the center console and it rattles, even move about in your seat, and it "rattles". Everything just has this weird plastic on plastic sound. I'm not sure if "rattles" is the best term to explain it.

What really drives me nuts is the steering wheel. When I get in the car, it lowers to the programmed position, and when I get out, it raises. I know I can turn this feature off, but the leather boot surrounding the steering wheel shouldn't make a crunchy leather noise when the steering wheel lowers. Any idea how to fix this? Take it all apart, condition the leather maybe?

More of a vent than anything, but also interested if it's all W164 ML's that do this, or for some reason AMG sent this one out as a rattle can.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:03 AM

2005 C55
Originally Posted by PolishPete

Copy of one of my posts - 9/2013:

I have less than a two weeks on a 2011 CPO car with 30k miles. This is my wife's dream car which she has been talking about for the past few years. We were driving an '02 Xterra (110k miles) which was on its last legs and required more in service costs to keep it running that the car was worth. So perfect time to upgrade and get a car that my wife really wanted and which I think is pretty nice as well.

We love the styling, and cruising on the freeway or highway the thing drives like a vault. The MPG is much better than the Xterra (15 vs 18-19 so far) although not great, it is acceptable for our carpool commute.

But on surface streets with any irregularities the thing creaks. shakes, and rattles like there is no tomorrow. It is hard to imagine that a vehicle that can take on the nastiest bumps like they are nothing sounds like it is going to fall apart going over what appears to be an insignificant bump in the road doing 35.

I have never driven or ridden in anything this bad! And I have owned a wide array of cars and makes including VW, Alfa Romeo, Saab, Ford, BMW, Mazda, and driven countless POS rental cars with no crazy noises. Although my other Mercedes (C55) is pretty bad itself. I attributed some of its rattles to the nature of the vehicle - low profile tires, stiff suspension exaggerating the problem; plus it is 9 years old. The C55 is a fun car and the problems are easily overlooked. But a huge 2.5 year old Mercedes Benz SUV with 30K miles that you expect to be rock solid but makes a bunch of noise is a real bummer.

It is my fault for not taking an extended test drive which is what I would suggest for anyone. AC running in the hotter than normal SoCal weather probably made some sounds less apparent and a sales guy in the back seat did alleviate some of the noise coming from that area which was noticed later and "fixed" again when I rode around in back. The quality of the roads was pretty good as well.

The car goes in for service on Monday to try and fix some of the issues. But I know it is going to be a long process and I don't expect a miracle. I have tried some of the internet "fixes" for some rattling and none seem to work or don't work very well. Plus I located some problem areas and attempted simple fixes to no avail. I have a feeling the ML is what it is and we will have to live with it for a while then sell it earlier than we expected.

Even if they fix the rattles, I'll never buy an MB again. It's embarrassing to own and feel like an idiot for buying it.

My advice to anyone that has to have an ML would be to really check it out and take an extended test drive on a variety of surfaces and speeds before pulling the trigger on a purchase. But I'd suggest avoiding it completely.

The dealer did find a bad strut which when replaced made me think that the noise problems improved but all it takes is a ride in another car (any car really)and I realize that it is still pretty bad.

I was pretty pissed before but realize there is nothing I can do and I will live with it until the day the CPO warranty expires when I will buy something different.

FYI don't even bother with the rear cargo privacy cover. If you haven't removed it, do so NOW.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:13 PM

Hit the nail on the head when you said embarrassing.

It's embarrassing to have people ride in the car, and it should be embarrassing to MB for having engineered something like this.

I've gotten used to it, but then, as you said, after I ride in another car and get back in the ML, the noise drives me nuts again.

I love the car in every other aspect, except for build quality. Which is sad for a premium brand.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
My 2007 ML 320CDI has noises under the dashboard, I guess I'll have the strut checked out. On the other hand, my 2009 ML 320 Blue Tec is solid as a rock.