M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Roof Rack and Cargo Box

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML350 in Alabaster White
Roof Rack and Cargo Box

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this site. I searched the forum but haven't found anything specific for my issue so I'm opening a new thread to ask for guidance.

I'm a boarder and my partner is a skier. I'd like to get roof crossbars and a cargo box to fit my 2007 ML350 which already has factory-installed rails. The options I'm considering are:

1. Yakima Whispbars ($399) and Skybox Pro 16s ($599);

2. Thule Aeroblade Edge ($144) and Sonic XL Roof Box ($504); and

3. MB OEM cross bars ($300) and large 16 cu.ft. roof box ($850).

The Yakima website identified the set-up above as fitting my car. It will also carry skis up to 180 cm. Perfect. But this costs $998.

REI has a sale going on for Thule right now so theirs is the cheapest option at $648 for the set-up above. Thule's website identified the Aeroblade Edge as fitting my car, but stated I would need to measure the distance between the front bar and my hatch to confirm whether the Sonic XL will fit (this box will fit skis ups to 201 cm). I can't do the measurement, however, unless I buy and install the Aeroblades first.

MB's set-up will fit my car but it costs $1150. Also, I could not find the interior dimensions for the large box online. I was thinking I could compare its measurements to other boxes to get an idea of whether other brands would fit.

So I'm wondering if any of you have any one of these set-ups and can confirm whether they actually fit on the car and whether skis can be carried inside the boxes.

Also, if you are aware of any other system that you'd recommend, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance for helping me out!!
-El
Old 08-22-2014, 08:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 ML320CDI
I have the OEM cross bars and Thule Cascade 17 from REI, which I have had for about 10 years. I updated those miserable threaded screws and brackets on the box to the grab claws from the new box.

Roof Rack and Cargo Box-photo4_zps7f09ebf7.jpg

I would do it all over again, except spend the extra to get the box that opens on either side. I have to bring a step stool with me to tighten down the clamps or if I load the box completely even though I am 6'4. (I hate standing on the door sills). If you are member of MBCA you should get at least 10% discount at dealer for the bars, and if you can troll craigslist you might find a box in good shape. I really only use the box a few times a year, bringing home Christmas tree, a few ski trips. I used to use it more frequently when I had sedan and travelled with more than one other person.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:41 PM

Thanks for the picture! That set up looks great. The only Thule Cascade 17 I could find online was listed as the "Thule 678XT Cascade 1700 Cargo Box" that's 91 inches long and holds 17 cu.ft. of cargo. Is this the same as yours? If so, I think the new Sonic XL should fit too since it's only 89 inches long.

Do you happen to know the front clearance of the ML's crossbars? Thule describes this as the distance between the front crossbar and the joint where the back hatch attaches to the body of the car.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:06 PM
V2C

2008 ML320 CDI
I have the OEM cross bars plus the ski/board carrier. You can fit 2 pairs of boards and 2 pairs of skiis on it. so for 4 people it works great.

I believe this one is the smaller version. Do not have pictures of the larger one.

The OEM Cross bars plus what 06e320cdi has said seems to work just fine.

This box seems to be cheaper than oem.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Thule...&bih=955&dpr=1

Last edited by V2C; 08-23-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:10 AM

Thanks! I used to use a ski/board carrier, but after a long trip to Sun Peaks through some pretty rough weather, I'm not going to use one again. My caravan companion had a cargo box and everyone's skis emerged clean with no damage while my board was scratched and my bindings were torn. (Canada can be rough btw!)
Old 08-25-2014, 08:00 AM

2008 ML320CDI
Originally Posted by Big White Truck
Thanks for the picture! That set up looks great. The only Thule Cascade 17 I could find online was listed as the "Thule 678XT Cascade 1700 Cargo Box" that's 91 inches long and holds 17 cu.ft. of cargo. Is this the same as yours? If so, I think the new Sonic XL should fit too since it's only 89 inches long.

Do you happen to know the front clearance of the ML's crossbars? Thule describes this as the distance between the front crossbar and the joint where the back hatch attaches to the body of the car.

Yes that is the same box, I think they added the XT nomenclature when they changed the box to be smooth and high gloss. Mine was sort of textured and more of a matte finish. I dont have the measurements, I dont keep my bars on year round. I do know I had to move the box mounts (they can slide to accomodate different rack spacing) to move the box as forward as I could. Even with that, I had maybe 1/4" space between the open hatch and the back of the box.. It is really amazing what you can fit. Here's an example back in '04 when I got the box. 4 People 7 days.

Roof Rack and Cargo Box-e2de.jpg
Old 08-30-2014, 01:33 PM

MB OEM Rocks

Sweet! That’s a road trip right there!

So REI is having a sale not only on the Thule equipment but also on Yakima. It’s 20% off of regular pricing. I also learned that Thule sells one crossbar in each box. That means to outfit your car with a sufficient number of crossbars, you must pay twice the price and locks are separate as well. No longer the least expensive option. Here are the prices for outfitting my 2007 ML350 for comparison including the REI discount:

Thule
Aeroblade Edge Bar x 2 = $287.78
Locks = $47.89
Sonic XL Cargo Box = $503.89
Total = $839.56 (not including tax)

Yakima
Whispbars (complete package includes 2 bars and 4 locks) = $319.19
SkyBox Pro 16s = $479.19
Total = $798.38 (not including tax)

While I was at REI pricing items and getting a feel for the quality of the products, the Thule rep came up to me and asked if I wanted to see a video. A natural skeptic, I assumed this was some high-pressure sales tactic weirdness about to occur. He showed me a video of the “City Crash” testing for both Thule and Yakima racks done in an independent lab in Sweden. The video shows crash data for loaded racks on cars coming to an immediate stop from 30 mph -- not exactly rocket sledding down an icy road but a practical approach to a likely scenario. The Yakima Whispbars slide forward and shatter with the cargo load flying off the front end while the Thule bars hold tight. Here is a link:

At first I thought this was bull****. “Independent” lab, sure. But when I got home I did some research and found this to be legitimate. So, I won’t be buying the Whispbars that’s for sure. Given the pricing of Thule products, however, I began to wonder whether I should just buy the MB OEM bars for $300. It seemed to me that MB would probably only offer the product if it was up to MB’s generally high standards regarding crash data.

After digging around, I found out that that was in fact the case. MB performs the same City Crash Test above and also engages in its own testing with racks overloaded by an additional 50%. MB testing is done at higher speeds and with evasive maneuvering involved. Not surprisingly, the bars perform exceedingly well as did the cars. Another benefit is the the tilt/sliding sun roof will still work with the OEM bars in place and even when a cargo box is mounted on the bars. Based on this information and the prices involved, the clear winner is the OEM set-up for $300 (includes locks). I've attached the Word document describing the testing.

Now the question that remains open is whether to buy the OEM cargo box versus Thule. The total cost for the OEM set-up is:

MB OEM
Roof crossbars = $300
Large cargo box = $850
Total = $1,150 (not including tax)

The OEM box is quite a bit steeper in price and takes away some of the benefits of buying the less expensive crossbars from MB. But given the crash and other performance data, this may be the best option.

I will keep you all posted.
Attached Files
Old 09-04-2014, 10:18 PM

Update!

Contacted my local MB dealer to see if I could get the MBCA discount for my roof rack and cargo box. He said yes, the discount is 10%. So the OEM set-up total is now = $1,035! Still about $200 more than the Thule but I think that's worth the quality and safety associated with the OEM.

I will post pictures once I get it all installed.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:16 AM

2008 ML320CDI
Its going to look fantastic. Cant wait to see the MB Box. Congrats..
Old 09-05-2014, 10:42 AM

2010 ML350 4MATIC
I looked at the MB OEM setup, but wanted something with a lower profile. I went with the Thule AeroBlade Edge 7503. My box is a Thule 685BXT Atlantis 1200 Rooftop Cargo Box. I can get 4 pair of skis/poles and 2 snowboards into it. But, I it's limited to 198cm skis.

This setup is a perfect fit on top of the ML. It doesn't interfere with the rear hatch at all. I have the front bar mounted just behind the sun roof so it doesn't block the sun roof from popping-up.

BTW, you'll get some wind noise from all these crossbars. And it's accentuated by the fact that the ML is quiet to begin with.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:26 PM

2008 ML320CDI
Originally Posted by jpcarroll
I looked at the MB OEM setup, but wanted something with a lower profile. I went with the Thule AeroBlade Edge 7503. My box is a Thule 685BXT Atlantis 1200 Rooftop Cargo Box. I can get 4 pair of skis/poles and 2 snowboards into it. But, I it's limited to 198cm skis.

This setup is a perfect fit on top of the ML. It doesn't interfere with the rear hatch at all. I have the front bar mounted just behind the sun roof so it doesn't block the sun roof from popping-up.

BTW, you'll get some wind noise from all these crossbars. And it's accentuated by the fact that the ML is quiet to begin with.
I agree with the wind noise, also happens with the MB bars.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:46 PM

CLK350
Smile Thanks...

Your excellent research really helped me make up my mind and go for the MB OEM set.

Thank you.

Best.
Jerry