M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Differential - what fluid?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 02:54 PM
bha

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
Differential - what fluid?

Want to change my front (and probably rear while I'm at it) differential fluid.

From the little info I can find on the web, I have read that 0.9 quarts is required for the front (although have heard that 1.5q is best as the gears look dry). Not sure about rear.

In another place, someone said buy 3 quarts and you'll have enough. You apparently don't fill a specific amount.. there is a drain and a fill plug like any other differential. You drain, put the plug back in, then use the fill hole to refill until the fluid starts coming out.

Some questions:
1. Has anyone done this, and what fluid did you use? I read 75W90 Mobil 1 is probably my best shot but not 100% sure that viscosity is right. Can't find any MB material saying what viscosity or what quantity.

2. How much did you put in.. specific amounts, or just filled until it couldn't take more like any normal differential

This is for my 2007 GL320CDI. When I hit the gas hard, I have started to hear a weird noise from the front of the truck, like some gears are slipping. It only comes from the front and I'm suspecting the front differential. It almost sounds like some meshed gears are "unmeshing" and the teeth are grinding if that makes sense.

Want to flush fluid as it has never been done and I have 150,000mi on the truck (almost 250,000km). And although I see there is no recommendation for changing it, I bet it's dirty/low/worn out. So would like to start by changing it and see if things improve before further diagnosis.

Thanks!