M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Locking Keyless Go with engine running

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML350
Locking Keyless Go with engine running

Hi,
Does anyone know of a way to lock the doors when you have keyless Go, and the engine running? I sometimes need to warm up the SUV when it's cold, but I don't know how to lock the doors when the engine is running.

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-16-2015, 09:14 AM
bha

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
I warm up the car with the doors unlocked. Because of Keyless GO I am pretty sure the thief can't get too far away with the truck if he steals it.

Thought I read somewhere that 12 miles is the limit before the truck shuts off. I'd be surprised at that.. can't see it shutting off at all as this is a safety hazard.

In any case, they can't restart the truck till they get keys made. If they want it that bad, they can have it.. my theory is that anyone this smart would have stolen my truck one way or another..

I'm really surprised that MB lets you take the truck out of park without the key (assuming the truck is running). By locking that down, they would have made a running truck completely theft-proof!
Old 01-16-2015, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
'18 GLE63S AMG /'19 PORSCHE TURBO S / '09 CORVETTE ZR1 /'14 LEXUS RX350/'16 RAV4 Ltd
I use this..
http://www.compustar.com/
Old 02-07-2015, 12:30 PM

ML350
@BHA Leaving the suv running is risky. I live in an upscale neighbourhood and recently there were a few cars stolen...ironically the thief looks for people who warm up their cars in the morning and steal them. Likely they'll take them to chop shops.

The keyless go option allows the car to be driven without the keys (once it is already running) until the person turns it off...it does not automatically turn itself off. It just can't be restarted unless you have the keys, but this wouldn't bother someone going to a chop shop, or kids taking it for a joy ride.

I found out that you can lock the doors with the car running if you have keyless go in the following way.

1. Turn on engine
2. Open driver door and driver side passenger door
3. Press the lock on driver door
4. Close driver door.
5. Manually press the lock on driver door from behind via rear passenger door.
6. Make sure you have your keys! Close passenger door...

Now the car is locked and running...however...to unlock it with the remote, it doesn't respond...so you'll have to manually take out the key from the remote...annoying process.

Test this out with the vehicle windows down/a person inside...in case you run into any potential issues.

Good luck
Old 02-07-2015, 12:34 PM

ML350
@nanook
The compustar option is great if you don't have a Keyless Go vehicle. Because you'll be going from not having to use your keys to having to look for/Take out the transponder to unlock the vehicle.

Mercedes Benz should have just made remote start with their vehicles...I don't know why they don't offer this option.