M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Considering 350 ML

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL cdi, 2012 c250 coupe
Considering 350 ML

I am new to MB World. I am considering buying a 350 ML that is a very clean vehicle with 80 K on it. What are your thoughts about what I should be checking before purchasing? Has it been a reliable and safe vehicle for you?
Old 01-19-2015, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ML350 Bluetec,2012 C300 4matic sport
I have an 09 ML350 and am approaching 90k. Other than oil, filter, tires, brakes, etc, has been a great vehicle. I am planning on keeping this for many more years. Ride and handling are still great and I avg about 20mpg to ant from work. Lots of cargo space. I am amazed at the thinkg my wife has convinced me will fit and they do with rear seats folded down. Ordered this new and have just about every option. Out of warranty and is serviced by a local independent mechanic. So far no major issues. Not sure if you should look into an extended warranty. Mine has been out of warranty since May of 2012. Guess I have been lucky thus far. If you are purchasing it from a dealer they should be able to tell you past history. My 09 has never had a safety recall and I check this yearly on the mb web site. Just enter the VIN. Excellent in snow. I line in upstate NY on top of a mountain and have never been stuck. Good luck hope the information was helpful
Old 01-19-2015, 10:06 PM

2012 Mercedes ml350
Love our 2012 MlL350 but have run into issues with brakes pads and oil plug leaking after changed oil. I'm a DIY and have a lift but learned the hard way can only use MB rear pads. Long term cost worries me a little will probable trade once warranty out in 2 yrs, certified is the best way to go in my opinion cheaper and better warranty
Old 01-20-2015, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML350
2011 ML350 P1

It all depends on the year and model that you're looking for.

Before buying mine I did some research, and learned that the W164 (I believe that would be 2009 to 2011 model) has good reliability. Conversely, the models before that one had poor reliability. You can tell the W164 models by the front headlights, it's boxy, with a slight cut/angle. 2011 has the new side mirror turn signal shape that is with all current Mercedes models. 2010 and before that has the big mirror turn signal lights.

When I bought mine since it was near 100k I bought an extended platinum warranty for $1400. I recently needed the NOx sensor alongside with another sensor changed. Retail value for these were $1100. (Nox sensor for Diesel, CO2 for gasoline) So I'm really getting my values worth for the warranty.

If you're buying, consider first Gas (4Matic) or Diesel (Bluetec) Gas is lighter and has more power off the line. Diesel is heavier, but after 100km/h the engine's torque takes on the power of a V8 rather than a V6, so you have lots of passing power potential. Gas is premiuem petrol. Diesel is just ultra low sulfur...price comparison is Gas would be $1.40/liter vs $1.18/liter diesel.

However, diesel requires Adblue (bluetec chemical) however, if you're smart about it, you can buy the same specification chemical from VW and do the work yourself which will cost you about $120, as opposed to the outrageous $500+ from Mercedes dealerships.

I picked my 2011 ML350 bluetec with Premium 1 package, so it has every option. (you can usually tell these apart from other W164 Benz's because they have LED's in the front rather than Fog lights. Mine has keyless entry, so I never need my keys, touch the door to unlock, touch the door to lock, etc. Start button ignition. Heated seats, memory seats, rain sensor wipers, front collision warning, rear collision warning, back up camera, lane change collision warning, navigation, heated steering wheel, memory steering wheel...dunno if I missed anything.

I bought Weathertec mats for my Benz cause we snowboard, and it's amazing..it's a worthwhile investment if you want to keep yours clean.

TLR...just do your research via google on the year and model you would like to buy, check the Used vehicle info package for anything accidents, dealers must legally disclose this info...have it inspected by a Mercedes mechanic (any that knows Benz will do, does not have to be Mercedes themselves as you'll have to book an appointment)

Happy hunting and good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Jason Salehi (05-17-2017)
Old 01-21-2015, 08:01 PM

ML350 Blutec
I am relitvly new MB also, we have had our 2010 ML350 Blutec for just over a year, purchased with 38,000 miles. We have had some issues, a transmission issue that after $600 and numerous visit to MB dealer and a call to MB USA that the issue was fixed under warranty, i had to do some research on that one, theres on a thread in the W164 on that. I would make sure you get extened warranty, just in case, were hoping to get 250/300 k miles out of this diesel. On the Addblu, Walmart carries the ISO same product, I think each jug is $12US. Two jugs should just about fill it.
My wife really likes the car as I do also, but services are not cheap, ours does not care a spare so we have to have run flats, or AAA. I would try to stay 10 or 11 or newer, I read more issues with 2009 or older. The gasers have major cam issues, even the cars, I get the impression that they did not harden the cams as hard as they should and a cam sensor error is the first sign. I have replaced pads and rotors with ceramics pads, lot less dust and stopping not effected. Tires are next big expense, still undecided on that. I would try to make sure the big service are preformed before purchased.
Hope this helps,
ok so put new tires on her, Yokohamas, all season, goes great in snow now,not run flats so I bought a few can fixaflat.

Last edited by STLML350; 01-28-2016 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:09 AM

2011 ML350 BlueTec 4Matic
Just bought a 2011 ML350 BlueTec 4Matic. Love it! After our 2005 Subaru crapped a connecting rod bearing after 128,000 miles it was in need of a new engine as the metal shavings went all through the engine. It was a fine car but always a bit small for me. So instead of putting $5,000 into it I got the ML.

First, I can't believe how well the diesel pulls! It gets it off the line! I love the ride and comfort. Lots of nice gizmos inside. I would love to have the LED lights, maybe I can find them used. Ours had 71,000 miles on it. Just put new brakes and rotors all around. Had to replace a couple of relays and the rear NoX sensor. A typical and expensive repair on these is the oil cooler develops leaks. MB has come out with a new and improved seal. That will be $2100. I will time to have ours done to coincide with oil, fuel filter, and coolant flush to save costs.

My mileage so far from two tanks has been roughly 28-30 mpg.