M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Best Results = Clean, Wax, Polish & Protect

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML300 CDI
Best Results = Clean, Wax, Polish & Protect

Hi,

What method(s) tools and products do you use to get a showroom finish on your W164?

Do you know of a product that keeps water spots / streaks from glass?
Old 02-17-2015, 04:56 AM

ML350
I used a clay bar to get the fine road grime off the paint (many videos on YouTube on how to use this). I also wash the drying shammy in the washing machine every washes to keep it drying with a clean finish.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Mercedes ML 350
I clay and wax my car about once a year. Not enough for "show room finish" but cleaner than most other cars.
The car is garaged . The "cleaning tool" I use quite a bit is the "california duster" . It is really importend that it is stored in a place where it will not pick up anything that will leave marks on your car !
It could become the "california scratcher" !
The other problem is break dust on the wheels . I clean the wheels "frequently" with a brush and waterhose.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:48 AM

ML300 CDI
Hi,

I have been advised by Mercedes to not use anything abrasive, car shampoo with wax included is good.

Mercedes do a Gloss Protector has anyone used this?

There is a Mercedes glass product that has cleaner written on the bottle but the guy at Mercedes said it also protects and will repel water. Anyone used this and does it repel water?

I have been told not to use Rain-X as it is quite caustic.

Any advice?
Old 02-24-2015, 11:43 AM

2009 ML320 Bluetec
I do not use Rain-X because it beads water so well the very find film left by wipers also beads. Very very small beads of water is known as fog. With wipers on Rain-X-ed windshield the view out is worse than without. So I stay away from Rain-X including wiper fluid.

Rain-X is fine on windows without a wiper.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:37 AM

ML300 CDI
Thanks for the heads up with the Rain-X
Old 02-27-2015, 12:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 S560 Maybach
I've used Rain-X with no problem whatsoever (15MPH = no wipers necessary). It's all in how you prep the windshield and other windows prior to application. IMHO, Rain-X works better than many glass coatings, waxes, and sealants on the market. But in the end it's all a personal preference.

I have been a detailing enthusiast for many years and can tell you that Mercedes does use abrasive products when it comes to polishing and cleaning their paint. A dealership may never even see or know what the products are, so don't always think of them as "experts". Many times I've found myself educating the mechanics, not the service advisors, but the ACTUAL mechanic! The products Mercedes uses is done in the factory to repair defects in paint before sending them out to dealers. Menzerna is the company that manufactures polishing and compounding products for Mercedes and many other German makes.

Just as an example of their expert knowledge: Every dealership I've been to, before finding my indie shop, calls my 06 ML500 a 2010 (not even as a compliment), despite obvious styling differences and the fact that the 500 engine was replaced in 08 with the 550...

On a side note, if you want a professional opinion from many expert detailers around the world and tons of reviews and information on almost every product go to autogeek.net
You will find all answers there and people are friendly and actually take the time to reply.

Also, best thing I've ever done for my car is to keep her away from the dealerships. I found mechanics at Mercedes Certified shops that actually do the work immaculately, without you having to sell them your kidney.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ML350 Bluetec,2012 C300 4matic sport
I love Rain-X my daughter is not a fan. Probably because I like it and won't give her my ML when the new one is ordered next year. �� I have driven her car after applying Rain-and driven in rain with no issues. I am going to try a Griot's Garage product that they sell and see how it compares. I clay my car twice a year and tend to use Griot's Garage products exclusively. Have been using their products for over 22 years and have become my personal preference. Their wax's seem to give a lots of depth to color and their sealants seem to hold up well. I live in upstate NY and my car gets waxed in October and not again until April. i have not found any web sites that have conducted long term test on care detailing products with the exception of consumer reports. Detailing my cars is therapy for me and buying and testing products is cheaper than seeing a therapist. �� Also found that Sprayway foaming glass cleaner works wonders on interrior and exterrior glass. I buy it at Home Depot or wall mart. It comes in a white and blue can. Found that using a lint free cotton cloth prevents streaks. Good luck and have fun.