M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

My Insurance company is killing me!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML550
My Insurance company is killing me!

I have a 2007 ML500 that came new with the AMG appearance package which includes the ML63 front bumper cover, ML63 bumper cover support frame ML63, ML63 Grille and all the extra air grilles, stainless bumper trim guards, ML63 Fog lights, etc.

My wife rear ended car on icy roads about 8 weeks ago and cracked the bumper cover and messed up the main grille, air grilles and other trim pieces. There wasn't any structural damage other than the bumper and bumper related items. The insurance company wrote the estimate with all Non AMG parts and refused to pay for the higher dollar AMG package parts which amounted to double their estimate. Meanwhile my vehicle was sitting at the body shop, as I refused to accept the non AMG estimate and the body shop wanted it dealt with so I purchased on my own, a hard to find, used AMG ML63 cover, a ML63 cover frame support and a new ML63 Grille. The body shop did a great job on the repairs.

I then threatened the insurance company and they finally agreed to pay for all parts (After I had paid out of my pocket for the repairs), but only if I submitted actual MB receipts for the parts. They would not reimburse me for the parts I had already purchased. They knew I had the vehicle repaired by then. They forced me to buy additional new MB parts with their claim settlement.

What a total mess. Getting new insurance quotes as we speak. My wife and I had been with this company for fifteen years and never had a vehicle claim.

According to the local MB dealer my ML550 had the code for the AMG appearance package. The insurance company originally claimed it didn't...

Anybody else have to go through this?

John
Old 03-03-2015, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
Honestly if I were in your shoes I'd be posting the name of the insurance company and also the name of the adjuster and maybe the adjuster's boss.

Before I got here I would have escalated to the adjusters boss, and the boss's boss until I found someone with some common sense. If I ended up the the top level and still no sense, I change gears and ask for "head counsel and a a service address". Service address? Yeah, so the process servers can deliver your copy of this lawsuit I have typed up and am about to file.

I would also send a letter to the CEO of the company spelling out the asinine breakdown in the company and the names of every person from the bottom to the top who lacked enough sense to resolve the problem.

This is more of a problem with the claims adjuster than it is with the company itself... although if the boss's boss wouldn't make it right, then there is something wrong with the entire company and the CEO probably needs to fix it (or else it won't get fixed).
Old 03-13-2015, 09:56 AM
bha

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
Get the truck to an MB dealer and have them write you a proper estimate.

Give them your VIN and have them look up the proper parts in the Mercedes EPC (parts catalog)

The EPC will tell them exactly what part was installed at the factory. If it came with an AMG bumper cover, that's the part that will show up when they look for a bumper. The parts catalog will hide all of the other versions of the bumper not applicable to your VIN.

Then take the original estimate (your insurance company used) and compare it to this new estimate.

Figure out the difference and write a letter (attaching both estimates) to the letter. Demand payment of the difference. You don't need to provide receipts or anything else. You want the cost difference between what they installed and what *should* have been installed.

Take the check from the insurance company and keep the $. You'll be selling the truck for less money when done with it, so part of the $ will offset that. the rest of the $ will offset the fact that you bought an AMG and aren't driving one for the next few years.

OR if you really want to be annoying to the insurance company (while legitimately demanding what you are owed) you can always ask them to "make you whole" which means returning your car to pre-accident condition. That means they need to rip off every single non-AMG part and basically do the repair over again properly.

Depends what's more important to you. I'd take the money and deal with the truck the way it is. But if you really want it back the way it was, ask for that.

Remember your insurance company is REQUIRED to put the truck back to the way it was before. Ask them if you're supposed to receive an inferior truck because of an accident, or if they are supposed to give you back IDENTICALLY what you had before. See what they say because they'll have to tell you the truth on this one They are afraid of insurance commissions who will penalize them heavily if they don't follow the rules.