M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Windscreen wiper noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320
Windscreen wiper noise

Apologies in advance, this is probably one of the silliest topics but my windscreen wipers are driving me 'berzekew'.

I had a new windscreen (genuine MB) replaced and not long after that the windscreen wiper have developed a noise at the end of each upward stroke. They also don't seem to have a smooth action and 'flop' at the end of each stroke.

I have replaced the wipers about 3 times including a genuine MB type, I have polished the glass with glass polish and I use a windscreen detergent in the wiper-wash. Nothing seems to work.

I don't really think this has anything to do with the replacement windscreen, but I am at a loss for an answer.

The wipers will wipe smoothly for about half a dozen swipes after I squirt the w/s detergent but revert back to 'noise & flop' after that.

It is not what I would expect from a quality car.

Has anyone experienced this and is there a solution?

Thanks.

Pete.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:20 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 S560 Maybach
I've only seen it happen when the windshield isn't wet enough to provide adequate lubricity. They tend to just skip along the windshield towards the end of their motion.

Do you have any sealant/wax/Rain-X type coating on the windshield?

Water-beeding agents such as the ones mentioned above create a fine film of lubricity and protection on the windshield, which help protect from water-spotting and help repellency of dirt/water.

It comes down to personal preference on what you want to use when coating your windshield with protectant. A sealant is my suggestion, as they last a fair amount of time.
If you're looking for a quick over the counter product that you don't mind applying ever so often, I recommend Rain-X. (1 pure Rain-X treatment every 4-6 months, clean with Rain-X 2-in-1 every other week)

But again, it's just a suggestion, it all comes down to personal preference.

Hope this helps you out.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:17 AM

ML320
Windscreen wiper noise

Thanks for your reply SunnyT.

I have cleaned the screen and applied Rain-X which works well by beading the water and allowing it to run-off, but the wiper still 'skip's' at the end of the upward stroke.

Is there a wrong way to fit the wiper arms to the drive motor mounting bolt?

Is there an adjustment to the wiper arms or spring?

Many years ago it was common practice to bend the wiper arm to give the wiper blades more tension against the glass. I really don't want to try this but I did wonder if there may be a method of adjustment.

Thanks again,

Peter.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:57 PM

2009 ML320 Bluetec
Recently replaced my OE wipers with some model of Anco aftermarket. Relatively pleased with the results having driven 450 miles on Friday in the rain. Eventually they developed a "tick" at the top of the stroke. The old wipers chattered on the way up and were quiet on the way down.

The Anco Mercedes-compatible mount was not as nice or intuitive as the genuine M-B, but it works.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 S560 Maybach
Originally Posted by Mercdz ML
Is there a wrong way to fit the wiper arms to the drive motor mounting bolt?

Is there an adjustment to the wiper arms or spring?

Many years ago it was common practice to bend the wiper arm to give the wiper blades more tension against the glass. I really don't want to try this but I did wonder if there may be a method of adjustment.
I'm not entirely sure about the tension in your wiper blades. I have no real experience in that, so I can't help you there. However, I do find that the blades that have the little wind deflecting feature (Kinda like a mini spoiler) on the blade work well at driving speeds. No chatter along the strokes. (I think it's the OEM ones and Rain-X Latitudes, or some other Rain-X model, also have them)

Have you tried cleaning the blades? There may be some dirt or grime on the actual blade causing the issue. I know mine get dirty all the time from dust, just sitting in parking lots, I wipe them down once a week during the wash.

Try this:
  • Take a wash bucket and mix warm water with car wash shampoo (about 1-2oz in 4 gallons should do).
    *I like to put the blades in the bucket to let them dwell a little to loosen the dirt/grime*
  • Get a microfiber or terry cloth to wipe the blades and soak in the bucket.
  • With the cloth, pinch and wipe along the blades.
    ** Careful not to pull too hard, as it may sever the blade from the housing**
  • Use a clean part of the towel each time. Repeat until the cloth shows no more dirt after the wipe.
  • Rinse with clean water.
  • Wipe the blades with a dry towel.
  • Let them air dry a little.
  • Re-mount your perfectly cleaned blades

Try that. It may fix it, it may not. It's hard to tell exactly what your issue is without seeing it first hand, but I'm happy to keep giving you tips until something works.

Just want to mention that I'm not preaching the ultimate cure to all car problems with my replies, but am just sharing tips and tricks that have worked for me in the past. Some people just take replies/advice way too seriously and end up blaming or hating you for it not working. That's why I always mention my replies as suggestions, so people can take it or leave it without getting all fussy about it.

Hope it helps!
Old 03-16-2015, 11:24 PM

2009 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by SunnyT
I'm not entirely sure about the tension in your wiper blades. I have no real experience in that, so I can't help you there. However, I do find that the blades that have the little wind deflecting feature (Kinda like a mini spoiler) on the blade work well at driving speeds. No chatter along the strokes. (I think it's the OEM ones and Rain-X Latitudes, or some other Rain-X model, also have them)
ANCO C-28-OE and ANCO C-21-OE are bigger that the wipers I believe to be OE which I removed. And have a big rubber spoiler on their backside. The mount to the wiper arm is not perfectly OE, it latches slightly different but works.

Have you tried cleaning the blades? There may be some dirt or grime on the actual blade causing the issue. I know mine get dirty all the time from dust, just sitting in parking lots, I wipe them down once a week during the wash.
In years past I ran some wipers 6 or 7 years. They still worked and the rubber wasn't tearing off so why not? Eventually replaced when the rubber started turning to dust and left big black streaks on the roof.

Drove the above Anco's 450 miles in rain on interstate Friday and they started doing something similar. Left a film on the windshield that you couldn't see but at just the right angle. But worse after about 350 miles there was a black ridge where the right wiper stopped in front of the (left) driver. This ridge was strong enough the left wiper didn't knock it off. Later I had to scrub and scrape to get rid of it.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 ML550
First off, I don't recommend windshield treatments. Rain-X only lasts a short while and then causes streaking. Aquapel lasts way longer but is almost impossible to remove if you ever want to do so. Both of them, as they wear, will start to cause your wipers to judder as they move across the windshield. I have had all kinds of noisy, juddering wiper issues until one simple fix that magically cures it: clean the blades with a paper towel soaked in methyl hydrate (aka rubbing alcohol, aka gas line antifreeze although I doubt you have much of that down there in Oz). Clean them like that every time you wash the car. Any time I get any sound or juddering now, which is rare, I give them a quick methyl alcohol treatment and they are fine again. It doesn't damage the rubber.

If you can't find methyl hydrate, vodka would probably work...
Old 03-23-2015, 04:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Blade cleaning may be worth trying. I have just been living with it and spraying washer fluid whenever it happens.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:10 PM

ML320
Originally Posted by roadrutz
First off, I don't recommend windshield treatments. Rain-X only lasts a short while and then causes streaking. Aquapel lasts way longer but is almost impossible to remove if you ever want to do so. Both of them, as they wear, will start to cause your wipers to judder as they move across the windshield. I have had all kinds of noisy, juddering wiper issues until one simple fix that magically cures it: clean the blades with a paper towel soaked in methyl hydrate (aka rubbing alcohol, aka gas line antifreeze although I doubt you have much of that down there in Oz). Clean them like that every time you wash the car. Any time I get any sound or juddering now, which is rare, I give them a quick methyl alcohol treatment and they are fine again. It doesn't damage the rubber.

If you can't find methyl hydrate, vodka would probably work...

Thanx Roadrutz,

I hav oozed da Vodka an' it wurkt reel well, now I carn't fynd da bl#%*@dy car. Wot hav yoo dun wid it????

Actually (sober now) I have polished the windscreen with a mild cutting compound, the wipers were new so didn't need treatment then drained the windscreen washer reservoir completely to get rid of any additive. I refilled the reservoir with fresh water and added a small amount of windscreen detergent.
It all seems to be ok for now.

Thanks to all for your replies.

Pete.