M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Oil leak at turbo inlet seal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 12:55 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2008 ML320CDI 4Matic, 2006 C350
Oil leak at turbo inlet seal

Had my oil cooler seals replaced this past December. The job included replacing the turbo inlet seal and the small adjacent one. Work was done at my MB indie shop by former MB master tech who also owns the same year and model as my ML.

Yesterday I found one drop of oil on my garage floor. Looked under the truck and saw the undercover with some wet spots - looking at rear of engine from same position I could see the oil. Looked at the turbo inlet seal and it was wet underneath the seal itself and in the valley.

Took it in today to same shop. Same tech replaced the inlet turbo seal again (no charge) and inspected the air filters. Both had been replaced 21,000 miles ago and looked moderately dirty to me. He told me that turbos suck a lot of air and if the filters are impeded, that additional suction starts to increase the amount of oil going into the turbo from the crankcase ventilation. He recommended I replace the air filters.

I had replaced the original air filters at the service manual 40,000 mile indication - at 5 1/2 years instead of the suggested 4 years - and never had any oil leaks.

I'm going to have the air filters replaced on Monday as they did not have them in stock today. It's not a big expense and I want to have some recourse if the same leak shows up again.

Has anyone else been told about the air filters and their relation to the turbo inlet seal leakage?
Old 03-23-2015, 04:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
I have heard this, it makes some sense, but the primary issue that leads to this is that the crank case ventilation filter system inside the valve cover is just inadequate.

Have your tech replace that seal and the breather heater seal just before it, with the most updated part. MB had a few part revision over the years. (As they did the oil cooler seals.)

Then I suggest having under the engine washed, as well as the under splash shield as it is foam lined and can soak up a lot of oil, which continues to drip for a very very long time.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:15 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2008 ML320CDI 4Matic, 2006 C350
Yes, had both seals replaced on Friday and had the air filters replaced on Monday.

The tech did a good job in spraying some type of oil film remover all over the affected areas and under the turbo inlet seal area. The undercover shield was also cleaned on Friday. On Monday he rechecked everything and all was good.

I've made a note to replace the air filters at 20,000 miles.