M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Clean OEM running boards

Old 03-23-2015, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 ML550
Clean OEM running boards

I remember several threads in the past regarding apparent corrosion on OEM running boards. People were having trouble cleaning them up. Well, as my ML celebrated its sixth birthday, I thought I would clean up its running boards. They were covered in black dots, brown corrosion spots, and general gunk around each of the rubber inserts.

Long story short: the winner was Barkeeper's Friend, a dish brush, and one of those dish washing sponges that has a plastic abrasive side to it. Wet the running board and sprinkle Barkeeper's Friend along it, maybe a teaspoon's worth every 12-inches or so. Use too little rather than too much; you can always go back and use more later. Wet the brush and gently work the powder into a lather around each rubber insert. Use the abrasive side of the sponge -- don't use steel wool! -- to rub off all the marks and corrosion. Leave each section alone as you move on to the next one; Barkeeper's Friend is oxalic acid and it will gently continue to clean if you leave it alone. When you are finished one running board, hose it clean using a generous amount of water. You don't want to leave any dried oxalic acid in there. Dry it with a soft cloth. The result is amazing. Time for both running boards (after I had spent who knows how long trying things that didn't work): about 30 minutes.

Barkeeper's Friend is not just oxalic acid, it also contains a very mild abrasive which helps to lift stains. If you have sensitive skin you should probably use plastic gloves when handling it. You can buy it at many hardware stores and kitchen stores. And no, I don't have shares in whoever makes it!
Old 03-27-2015, 06:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ML350 Bluetec,2012 C300 4matic sport
Thank you for your post. I am hoping to spend the first nice warm weekend completely detailing my 2009 ML350. It has been a long and rough winter here in upstate NY and being you are from Calgary I know you understand. I have tried a number of products on my running boards but have not been happy with the results. The only product that has come close to doing a decent job was Mother's wadding polish. I have always been disappointed after spending hours detailing my ML and having it look showroom new with the exception of the running boards. Sounds like Barkeeper's Friend will finally give me the results I have been looking for. I may try using a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser as well. This is the only type of sponge that easily removes the black scuff marks on the door seals and on the lower section of the doors. Since magic erasers are none I have not ruined the finish.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
X164 GL550, F10 535 6MT
Originally Posted by roadrutz
Long story short: the winner was Barkeeper's Friend, a dish brush, and one of those dish washing sponges that has a plastic abrasive side to it.
Thank you, this worked well for me too. It will probably take a couple more times to get it looking great, but the initial results were worth the effort - so appreciate the post.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350 (W164)
I also posted about this a few month's ago. Got luck a few weeks ago near Xmas...it was almost 65 degress out. So I got out the Barkeeper's Friend and went after it, it worked pretty well. I think I'm going to have to do another round to get it where I want it, but overall the results from the initial cleaning with Barkeeper's was great !