M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Door & Console Insert Options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 03:30 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
ML 550
Door & Console Insert Options?

Are there any? I just cant do and like the woodgrain inserts.

Is there anyone out there that sells kits to replace them include the top insert in the doors?

Anone change theirs? Was it easy? CF, Pianno Black or Brushed Aluminum will do but not the woodgrain. Makes me fee old.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
There's a place here in AUSTRALIA that does it in CF. Sand part down by 3mm and replace with CF. One for one tho. You have to send them your dash/door trim part and they'll send you one already done. I was very interested until I found this out.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:51 PM

ML 550
Yea that's no good. Can't be without trim and sit till it arrives.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:17 AM

ML 320 W164
I'm one of those perverse owners that actually prefer the wood trim.

If you have to remove yours, and have no plans to re-use it, I'd be interested.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:41 AM

ML 550
What do you have now on yours? Where are you located?

I abandoned this idea. I still want something else. But the alternatives don't do it for me.

I have 3 options and they don't look promising.

1) Go with a vinyl wrap. I'm afaraid the coin tray, upper door under the climate and the cupholders wont handle the use and start to peel off.

2) Go with a dash kit. I only found 1 kit that will also do the door inserts. I'm surprised there aren't any more. Who would want to do their centre console and add more trim in the car beyond what the car already has yet leave the door inserts alone? That's just not very well thought out from the manufacturers of these kits. And the one that I did find that covers also the door panel inserts has me weary. If I don't get 100% fit and 100 coverage it would look like crap.

3) Someone with an Aluminum, Piano Black or Carbon Fiber accent kit for the centre console and door inserts that wants to swap for my dark wood panels.

All 3 are not promising.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:17 AM

ML 320 W164
What do you have now on yours? Where are you located?

>I've got the aluminium finish on the doors and a sort of glossy-black dimpled effect (quite difficult to describe) on the centre console.
The aluminium trim is useless on the doors as it gets hundreds of dents from the seat belt springing back. Every ML I looked at was like this. It also makes the interior look very down-market, like a BMW. This is why I'm trying the vinyl wrap. On the doors, it looks great, but durability wise, it's too early to tell.

>You've probably guessed I'm in England.

1) Go with a vinyl wrap. I'm afaraid the coin tray, upper door under the climate and the cupholders wont handle the use and start to peel off.

>I agree but I'm willing to try it and see how long it lasts. After all, the wrap only cost me a tenner and a couple of hours work.

2) Go with a dash kit.

>Thisa looks promising but all the manufacturers pictures I see are taken from a good distance away. As you say, they probably look like crap close up. I'd also be concerned thet the adhesive would start to lift in a few months. I'm willing to be proved wrong though. A kit from these people is about 70 quid, the price of a couple of rounds, so not much to risk. Be interesting to hear from anyone that's tried it:-

fityourself.co.uk/

3) Someone with an Aluminum, Piano Black or Carbon Fiber accent kit for the centre console and door inserts that wants to swap for my dark wood panels.

You wouldn't want mine, they've had a hard life!