M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Cost of replacing brake pads 09 ML550?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 ML550
Cost of replacing brake pads 09 ML550?

Hi my 09 ML 550 is now giving me a message saying the brake pads are used up. Any thoughts on how much I should expect to spend on this? I would prefer to not use the dealer since they ripped me off the last time. I am in the SF bay area. If anybody in the area has recommendations of who to go to, that would be awesome too thanks!
Old 04-07-2015, 03:08 PM

2009 ML320 Bluetec
Brake pads are a good place to start learning how to maintain your own vehicle. The hardest part is lifting the vehicle and taking the wheel off. My ML320 required unusual hex key bits to remove the caliper pin bolts but that was the only issue.

Your ML550 has bigger brakes but prices should not be much different. Akebono ceramic fronts were $75 and rear $50 (both included 2 new sensors) from RockAuto. If brakes do not currently pulse and rotors are thick enough then you don't have to replace the rotors. If you don't have them resurfaced ("turned" in some vernaculars) the brakes may feel soft the first few hundred miles until the new pads conform to the shape of the rotors. If you can feel and/or see the rotors are not flat then resurface or replace.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 ML550
Originally Posted by N4HHE
If brakes do not currently pulse and rotors are thick enough then you don't have to replace the rotors.

Both Mercedes and BMW (I had an X5) strongly recommend replacing rotors when you replace pads. The ML550 has vented discs all round; you cannot turn them, you can only replace them. The dealer typically charges around $1,000 for a complete brake job. You will save over $300 by doing it yourself, even more if you go with non-OEM parts. But be sure to use name brand parts such as Raybestos. A lot of auto parts stores sell very poor quality Chinese crap branded with the store's name; a friend of mine used some and within three months two rotors had warped.

The ML550 has one of the sweetest and most under-rated engines money can buy. It will throw that heavy truck down the road at frightening speeds. The last places you want to cheap out are tires and brakes!
Old 04-08-2015, 02:41 PM

2009 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by roadrutz
Both Mercedes and BMW (I had an X5) strongly recommend replacing rotors when you replace pads. The ML550 has vented discs all round; you cannot turn them, you can only replace them.
What do they not recommend replacing every time you have your wallet out? Used to be "3,000 mile oil change!" until the EPA started browbeating manufacturers and dealers into more honest drain intervals. I mean, while they have the wheels off the tires and shocks should be replaced too! After all, "can't be too safe!" Clearly you should do like Steve Jobs, trade for a new Mercedes every 6 months.

Mercedes-Benz specifies 1) new rotor thickness, 2) service limit thickness, and 3) wear limit. "Service limit" means "don't mix with new parts" and "wear limit" means it is no longer safe. Prior to the wear limit the parts are perfectly safe.

Vented rotors means nothing as to whether they can be resurfaced/turned. The service limit means everything, the rotors can not be turned to less than the service limit and mounted with new pads because it is expected to be less than the wear limit by the time the pads next need to be replaced. 1986 VW Golf with solid rotors were so thin when new they couldn't be turned. Brake rotors on my motorcycles are even thinner. Replace motorcycle brake rotors every 10 to 20 sets of pads. Have worn new pads to the metal in less than 40 miles a couple of times now (racing in mud using Kevlar/carbon pads). Usually get 400 miles on the rears, 800-1000 front, in the woods.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:33 PM

ML350 Blutec
I have a ML350 BLUTEC and replaced the rotors and put new ceramic pads on all 4 corners, Tirerack for the parts about $250 and had a nearby shop do the labor, $100 front and $100 back. My total brake replacement was less than what MB dealer was going to charge for just the rear. Plus with the ceramic pad I get no dust build up, wheels are so clean now. Also the pads came with new sensors. Stoping was a little harder for the first couple hundred miles but just fine now that they have set themselve in.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 ML550
Originally Posted by N4HHE
Mercedes-Benz specifies 1) new rotor thickness, 2) service limit thickness, and 3) wear limit. "Service limit" means "don't mix with new parts" and "wear limit" means it is no longer safe. Prior to the wear limit the parts are perfectly safe.

You are correct. But the design engineers try to match parts, so if you don't replace the rotors there is a good chance that they will need replacing before the new pads wear out. It really boils down to how happy you are spending another Saturday afternoon under the vehicle doing what would have taken you an incremental half hour if you'd done the rotors with the pads in the first place.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:12 PM

2009 ML 550
I used Akebono ceramic pads on my wife's ML550 was about $79 at my local Advanced Auto and was in the following day and came with sensors. The hardest part to me was taking off the bracket that holds the brakes and putting the tire back on. The caliper is held on by a 9mm hex bolt and looking for a bit/allen wrench was pretty simple got a hex set at harbor freight for $5. I check all the auto parts store and no one cares the even in there sets.