M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

2011 ml350 DIESEL weird engine noise at startup!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 ml350
Unhappy 2011 ml350 DIESEL weird engine noise at startup!

hey guys i just bought a used ml350 2011 and when i start the car (engine cold)
the car makes like a tractor noise(didn't know how to explain it better) for 3-5 seconds and then goes away. ONLY MAKES THIS SOUND WHEN COLD
Old 05-01-2015, 06:19 PM

11 ML350 Blue
had the same problem on my 2011. It sat at the dealer for a while. Purchased it and after few weeks started making "tractor noise" on cold start up. Luckily it was still under factory warranty. Dealer replaced timing chain and stated that is stretched. Seems to be common issue. If you read up and google it, you will find out that it is either timing chain or tensioner. Good luck.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL350 2011
Timing chain, quite a few reported in 2011 on the OM642. Probably also needs to replace the sprockets on the cam shafts, timing guides, tensioner, and balance shaft.

$1k parts, and between 22 and 34 hours of labor at your local dealer.

Get it fixed soon, if the chain jumps, the engine will end up as scrap metal. There is a thread on similar issues in the X164 forum (GL350 2011). There is also a TSB for it.

If you look in the forum, you can find a thread about the timing tensioner check valve for the ML350 gas. There is a Vimeo video in it. Sounds EXACTLY like the stretched timing chain in the bluetec.

Unfortunately, the Bluetec fix is about 10x more expensive.

Good luck.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:50 PM

2007 ml350
wow, stretched timing chains? seems like a motor to avoid.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL350 2011
Originally Posted by framer
wow, stretched timing chains? seems like a motor to avoid.
That was my first reaction, too

I think it is a bad batch of motors (chains, actually), but without some understanding/participation from MB, we'll never know which ranges are affected.

I can't find the TSB right now, but if people are interested, I'll go look for the PDF.

It sounds like the (gas, but the stretching issue only applies to diesels) ML350 on this video: https://vimeo.com/95930487

The OM642 Diesel engine has been produced in very large numbers, and in generally, seems to be reasonably reliable, if somewhat maintenance intensive.

I think, however, their Q/A is bad, especially on the ML/GL series, because there seem to be a much larger number of issues on these two cars.

Honestly, if you are afraid of big repair bills (as I am now, even though we love the GL350), few of the MB SUVs engines are "bullet proof". The OM642 has oil leaks (cooler, etc . . .), carbonizing issues, and the occasional, but serious, timing chain problem.

The M272 and M273 gas engines (in the ML350) have balance shaft issues (or did, anyways, but who knows if they will pop up again?). At least those have been partially paid for in the form of the class action settlement .

The OM642 get a lot of bad rap, and it is true that it is not even close to bulletproof, but on balance, I think it is not a terrible engine. However, it is ungodly expensive to repair, primarily because of the high number of labor hours that go into it. Timing Chain, Oil Cooler Seal, Intake Decarbonization, EGR Cleaning, etc . . . are relatively "cheap" parts-wise. The killer is the 15+ hours of labor PER ITEM.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:17 PM

S500 4Matic 2005, ML350 BlueTEC 2011
I too have a stretched timing chain on a 2011 ML350 diesel making a clattering noise on cold starts. The dealer said it was a stretched timing chain but I didn't believe them. Took it to an indy repair shop and they confirmed. It also had excessive carbon buildup in the intake, and the ESP light illuminated. This is my wife's car and when I bought it I also bought a maintenance plan, so it's been serviced by the dealer. The driving is about 50/50 freeway and in town. Immediately after it went out of warranty it developed a small oil leak. Dealer estimate to repair was $5500. I had an indy shop do it for $3600. To repair the above will be over $6000 at the indy. I also have had major issues with the 2005 S500 including replacing the transmission. Luckily they were all covered under warranty. Both cars have about 80,000 miles on them and have spent significant amounts of time in the shop. It's sad but these will be the last MBZ autos I will own. They don't seem to be a very good value for the money and the dealer support I've experienced has been very poor.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:37 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
formerly drove a 2010 ML350 BLUETEC, currently drive Mazda, Chevrolet, and Toyota
Originally Posted by samiran
That was my first reaction, too

I think it is a bad batch of motors (chains, actually), but without some understanding/participation from MB, we'll never know which ranges are affected.

I can't find the TSB right now, but if people are interested, I'll go look for the PDF.

It sounds like the (gas, but the stretching issue only applies to diesels) ML350 on this video: https://vimeo.com/95930487

The OM642 Diesel engine has been produced in very large numbers, and in generally, seems to be reasonably reliable, if somewhat maintenance intensive.

I think, however, their Q/A is bad, especially on the ML/GL series, because there seem to be a much larger number of issues on these two cars.

Honestly, if you are afraid of big repair bills (as I am now, even though we love the GL350), few of the MB SUVs engines are "bullet proof". The OM642 has oil leaks (cooler, etc . . .), carbonizing issues, and the occasional, but serious, timing chain problem.

The M272 and M273 gas engines (in the ML350) have balance shaft issues (or did, anyways, but who knows if they will pop up again?). At least those have been partially paid for in the form of the class action settlement .

The OM642 get a lot of bad rap, and it is true that it is not even close to bulletproof, but on balance, I think it is not a terrible engine. However, it is ungodly expensive to repair, primarily because of the high number of labor hours that go into it. Timing Chain, Oil Cooler Seal, Intake Decarbonization, EGR Cleaning, etc . . . are relatively "cheap" parts-wise. The killer is the 15+ hours of labor PER ITEM.
samiran, I'd really be interested in seeing the PDF posted here of the TSB if you get your hands on it, please. This thread leads me to believe I may have had a stretched timing belt too. I heard a "tractor noise", or engine clatter, the day before the engine seized in my 2010 ML350 Bluetec OM642. You're right, the OM642 is prone to oil leaks and failures as we're finding from several threads and sources. My thread reveals this week that many dealers may still be using wrong oil types in the OM642, which contributed to my car's engine failure this year, as found here: https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-fo...ne-seized.html