M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Towing ML320 CDI Need Airbags?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320 CDI
Towing ML320 CDI Need Airbags?

Hello All!

So i just got a receiver for my hitch on the 2008 ML320 CDI and I hooked it up to its first load! Besides the reverse camera not being a great help because of the amazing screen resolution the back suspension seams a little weak. Take a look at the photo below at how far it sits down when loaded. With that being said, is there a company that makes airbag inserts that can help level the load? We had the same problem with a new 2015 RAM 1500. We ended up getting some cheap airbag inserts to place in the middle of the springs and it took care of it. However that company doesn't make anything for Mercedes. :-( But on a positive note the ML pulled the load with ease! Very happy about that

2008 ML320 CDI
Old 06-30-2015, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 ml350
The owners manual for both my ML's state a maximum towing capacity of 5000 lbs.

The recommendation for that capacity also includes a use of a load equalizing hitch with anti-sway.

The tongue weight is should also be limited to 15% (750 lbs).

From these numbers and the picture provided (that trailer might be 2500 lbs empty) it appears that there is just too much trailer for that vehicle.

From the appearance, I have a similar style trailer and it has a GVW of (trailer + load) of 12,000 lbs. I use a Silverado 2500HD to tow that and even that gets pushed around a bit when the trailer is loaded to its capacity.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:07 PM

ML320 CDI
Originally Posted by u001elg
The owners manual for both my ML's state a maximum towing capacity of 5000 lbs.

The recommendation for that capacity also includes a use of a load equalizing hitch with anti-sway.

The tongue weight is should also be limited to 15% (750 lbs).

From these numbers and the picture provided (that trailer might be 2500 lbs empty) it appears that there is just too much trailer for that vehicle.

From the appearance, I have a similar style trailer and it has a GVW of (trailer + load) of 12,000 lbs. I use a Silverado 2500HD to tow that and even that gets pushed around a bit when the trailer is loaded to its capacity.
If you have a gas ML that may be right depending on the year and model but with the diesel the max towing is 7,200 lbs. The trailer is heavy and has a load in it but besides from the suspension in back it had enough power to move the load just fine. Being a short wheel base it will get pushed around a bit more then a GL or some other trucks but as long as you drive like you have a trailer attached then you should be fine. I just need to find a company who has an airbag insert to level the ML out.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 ml350
OK, 7200 lbs it is...

What did the trailer weigh when you went across the scales?

As I said in the previous post, a similar trailer (all steel, 3' sides and dual 8 lug wheels) I use has a 12,000 capacity and I have reached that limit when only 3/4 full with vegetation and home remodeling waste. That is still almost 5000 lbs greater than specified max towing that you stated the CDI has.

Is the hitch installed a load equalizing hitch? If so it should already be transferring weight to the front.

Just from the picture this appears to be more of a concern than just adding a cheap air bag... its seems outright dangerous. The front looks like the tires could be lifted from the road if a bump in the road is encountered.

Sorry to be such a killjoy, but I have had some experience with customers overloading a vehicle (and not realizing it) until it was too late and the vehicle was damaged or they lost control and people were damaged.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:03 PM

ML320 CDI
Originally Posted by u001elg
OK, 7200 lbs it is...

What did the trailer weigh when you went across the scales?

As I said in the previous post, a similar trailer (all steel, 3' sides and dual 8 lug wheels) I use has a 12,000 capacity and I have reached that limit when only 3/4 full with vegetation and home remodeling waste. That is still almost 5000 lbs greater than specified max towing that you stated the CDI has.

Is the hitch installed a load equalizing hitch? If so it should already be transferring weight to the front.

Just from the picture this appears to be more of a concern than just adding a cheap air bag... its seems outright dangerous. The front looks like the tires could be lifted from the road if a bump in the road is encountered.

Sorry to be such a killjoy, but I have had some experience with customers overloading a vehicle (and not realizing it) until it was too late and the vehicle was damaged or they lost control and people were damaged.

This puppy was definitely over loaded lol I am in no way saying that this much wait should be pulled regularly. I am sure I am around 10,000Ibs. I did not take this anywhere but down the street and back to see how it would do under the stress. Sitting that low is very dangerous for traveling in real traffic. I believe the trailer is around 4,000lbs by it self. Will have to use a real truck for this load but if I could find some cheep airbags that fit I am sure it would help for loads that would push the 7,000lbs mark as I am sure it would be sitting in the same stance if loaded with that mach as well.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:30 AM

ML320 CDI
Update! I got in some airbags that I have not had a chance to install as of yet but I did hook up the trailer once more to haul around some items. I loaded a pallet of block in it evenly spread out in the trailer with slightly more weight in the back. The ML did not sit on the ground like before but was just right. I also hauled around a bunch of wooden pallets but that was light. These projects took me the morning to do and at lunch time I unhooked from the beast of a trailer and the ML320 felt like a sports car!! lol