M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

squeaking rear door

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 01:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
ML350 2015 bluetech
squeaking rear door

Hi,

I’m new here and new owner of a 2011 ML350 for the last 4 months.

I’ve been hearing from time to time some squeaking noise coming from the back that driving me crazy.
After checking with the dealer, it wasn’t the suspension or the break.
and during the road test there was no noise at that time.
We even jump multiple time while in the back but still no noise.

The other day I was again inspecting to see where it come from and found out
it’s coming from the back door.
Moving the shaking the plastic cover and there’s that sound that driving me crazy.

Anyone had similar problem and what’s the best approach to fix it?
Old 07-21-2015, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 GL450 and 2016 GLE350
After several years of of squeaking from the rear interior I found the cargo cover end fittings as they insert into the brackets were the source. A piece of plastic bag at each end was the cure. Silicon spray or grease didn't last and were messy......

Last edited by Keyser Soze; 07-21-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:18 PM

ML350 2015 bluetech
I though this was my original problem, I removed my cargo cover and the knows was still there.

In my case its really the contact of the two plastic cover of the back door.
I will try plastic bag like you did.

Thx
Old 12-04-2015, 04:20 PM
bha

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
My GL squeaked from the hatch. Any time the body twisted a little bit (pothole, uneven ground, sharp corner, etc) you'd hear it squeak.

I thought it was the plastic on the interior of the hatch touching something. Used electrical tape to try to isolate, didn't work.

Removed hatch interior plastic cover and applied electrical tape around the edges, also didn't work.

Then removd the entire hatch plastic cover, taped up all of the plastic pegs and fittings wher the plastic cover touches the metal hatch (hooks, pins, etc, etc.)

Reassembled and noise completely gone.

Unhappy ending to the story -> A year later the rear latch handle (to open the hatch) started getting gummed up and looked like the grease had washed away. Removed hatch cover to spray lube in handle, only to find tha it's actually easier to lube the hatch from the outside. Reassembled and the noise came back!

So whatever tape I used on one of the spots fell out when I removed the cover, and the noise is BACK (annoying!!!!!)

I have been meaning to pull the cover off an do it again. This time I'm not only going to use electrical tape, but first I'll look at any contacts spots on the plastic AND metal, and coat both with liquid electrical tape (which is basically liquid rubber in a can). I'll let it dry then put the thing back together.

Not sure of the exact spot, but it only takes 1/2 hour to remove the plastic hatch panel and put it back if you take your time. So it's worth a shot.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:42 PM

ML350 2015 bluetech
Hi,

I was wondering, how do we remove the interieur plastic hatch.

I have a 2011 ML350