M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

W164 Our EXTREMELY outdated iPod Interface..should I go with BT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 05:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E55 Wagon, 2009 G55, 2019 GLE350
W164 Our EXTREMELY outdated iPod Interface..should I go with BT?

Hey guys,

So I just picked up, well not just, maybe last year, picked up an 07 ML350, single owner, 37k miles, for a sweet deal at the MBZ dealership. It has iPod interface, and I finally got around trying it out and it is horrible. Doesn't even charge the iPod while playing.

This definitely needs an upgrade as I am not going to burn CDs this day and age. I guess the MBZ BT interface module can be easily purchased and plugged into docking point in the center console. For those that have it, how good is and the BT audio signal, is it clear?

I also feel the headunit is much too outdated, as the iPod interface does not even display the music data on the screen. I know there are some units from China that look totally OEM, yet have all the technology updates (I should put "updates" in quotes as this tech is from 10yrs back still).

Looking to see all the options out there, and what people have done.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ML350
I used the Mercedes OEM iPod cable on my old '06 C230 a few years ago and I'm almost certain it charged the iPod. This may very depending on the iPod model - you should do some research. I've always used (and continue to use) an 80GB iPod Video/Classic. And the song's title/playlist/etc. showed on the car's LCD between the speedo and the tach. That said, my biggest gripe with the OEM iPod interface was that you couldn't put it into a mode that allowed simultaneous control via the iPod iteself as well as the car's inputs. I used to have an aftermarket setup on earlier cars that did allow that, and it's a must have for me.

My current '06 ML350 came with an auxillary input installed in the glove box. I use that to play music from the iPod, and have the iPod connected to a 12V->USB adapter in the 12V port under the glove box. No steering wheel controls, but it does the trick.

I am similarly not thrilled with the OEM headunit, but have not seen great options in the aftermarket world. I temporarily had a Dynavin unit in a previous BMW and it was absolute garbage, so I'm very hesitant to try another one of those (or similar) units.

I would do a conversion to a Pioneer double-din unit, but from what I understand the ML's digital cable system is a big problem to integrate with, without readily available options.

// edit - I forgot, you can either have the iPod interface or the Aux - can't have both at the same time.

Last edited by kerunt; 08-01-2015 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 C63, 2008 ML550, 2014 KTM 500 XC W, John Deere 990
I have on 08 ML550 and the blue tooth system only works with the phone. No BT audio available.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 ML320 CDI
Originally Posted by heyitzalex
Hey guys,

So I just picked up, well not just, maybe last year, picked up an 07 ML350, single owner, 37k miles, for a sweet deal at the MBZ dealership. It has iPod interface, and I finally got around trying it out and it is horrible. Doesn't even charge the iPod while playing.

This definitely needs an upgrade as I am not going to burn CDs this day and age. I guess the MBZ BT interface module can be easily purchased and plugged into docking point in the center console. For those that have it, how good is and the BT audio signal, is it clear?

I also feel the headunit is much too outdated, as the iPod interface does not even display the music data on the screen. I know there are some units from China that look totally OEM, yet have all the technology updates (I should put "updates" in quotes as this tech is from 10yrs back still).

Looking to see all the options out there, and what people have done.
I have an 08 m320 CDI with the BT module in the center console. As far as I know, it only supports your phone. I was excited when I realized I had it in my car and was able to hook up my phone, it makes driving and talking on the phone a breeze, however you cannot play music through it like the modern BT that comes in most cars.

Or maybe you can and I have not figured it out, but I dont think it will. The loaner cars I had from the dealership (2014 model years) the BT was able to play music, but unfortunately these do not.

I believe some people have used aftermarket BT that plug into the cigarette lighter, but they will have to chime in.

I use the AUX port to play music from my phone and charge it through a car charger in the cigarette lighter, works like a charm.

Good luck
Old 08-12-2015, 01:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 ML 500
you can buy the viseeo tune2air wma1000. it makes bluetooth streaming from any device possible, just plug it in to your existing ipod interface and control it from the steering wheel. works perfect for me!
Old 08-13-2015, 01:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'11 GL450, '11 ML350
Adding onto twostroke's response, I just got the tune2air WMA3000A, which replaces the WMA1000. It's not perfect, but it will get music, maps, and other apps (Spotify, Pandora, etc.) streaming in your car.

The dock in the glove box does charge, but at an extremely slow rate. Depending on what you're doing, you may be depleting the battery faster than you're charging it, which happened to me running music and maps at the same time.

I just posted an in-depth review of tune2air in another thread. Search tune2air, and I'm sure you'll find it.