M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

2008-ML350 does not shift gear above 40 Mile/hour

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 10:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML320 (W164) - 201K Miles
2008-ML350 does not shift gear above 40 Mile/hour

Hi,
I was getting P0019. I changed Camshaft Sensor, Crank Shaft Sensor and Cam Shaft Sensor on Bank1 exhaust side did not helped. Car was running horrible and would not shift gear above 40 Mile/hour. Choice was left to open engine and see what is wrong. My mechanic opened the engine cover and saw there engine was badly gunked with oil and timing chain was little
loose. So I asked him to clean engine by running gas couple of times. Mechanic cleaned the engine, after cleaning engine it was running better than before but still
gear was not shifting above 40 Mile/Hour. Finally mechanic said, instead of repairing engine it will be better if we replace engine with other used engine.
So I bought engine for $2200 + $800(labor to install). Engine seems to be running fine but still having issue with shifting gears. I do not feel any transmission issue at all.

I do not have any Error code or Check engine light.

I thought after replacing i have to reset transmission so I followed below procedure and still no help:

1. Turn ignition key to the on (not start) position.
2. Press the gas pedal
to the floor and hold for five seconds, and keep pedal to the floor.
3. Turn key to the "off" position (don't remove the key). Then release the gas pedal.
4.Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.

My Question is: Do I have to do anything special after replacing engine ? If yes what do I need to do. Can anyone tell me
what could be the issue with shifting gears ? Looks like car is running in lower gear and not recognize that car is running at higher speed. It makes noise when
I go higher speed since gears are still in lower than actual speed of car.

I do have Mercedes STAR Diagnosis system but it is not showing any error code.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ML 350
It could be one of the solenoid inside the transmission, if you know what gear you are stuck on you can narrow down the specific solenoid.
I assume you tried to shift manually with steering "buttons"
Old 05-18-2017, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CL 500
a few things I discovered
one is you need a scanner that can read and clear mb transmission codes. I had same issue with my Cl 500 did all the work of a new pilot bushing and the same steps you showed to clear codes - problem still there. Replaced conductor plate Problem still there. Found out the steps we followed to 'clear' code does not clear the code from transmission control only resets communications from ecm to tcm so Tcm just re-sends the error code and problem persists
have a Mercedes dealer or experienced tech with good scanner clear the actual transmission code from tcm

if problem still persists check also so under accelerator
remove clean or replace switch. When you step on gas that switch creates down shift signal and may be stuck
Old 05-18-2017, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Rising
a few things I discovered
one is you need a scanner that can read and clear mb transmission codes. I had same issue with my Cl 500 did all the work of a new pilot bushing and the same steps you showed to clear codes - problem still there. Replaced conductor plate Problem still there. Found out the steps we followed to 'clear' code does not clear the code from transmission control only resets communications from ecm to tcm so Tcm just re-sends the error code and problem persists
have a Mercedes dealer or experienced tech with good scanner clear the actual transmission code from tcm

if problem still persists check also so under accelerator
remove clean or replace switch. When you step on gas that switch creates down shift signal and may be stuck
I should have updated my latest status but I did not.

Issue with not able to drive above 40 was due to my wheel bearing in rear wheel were bad and not mechanic told me about that. Finally I took it to Dealer and told me issue. Went back to local mechanic and got it changed both bearing under $200 problem solved.

Lessons learned. It is easy to fix problem than diagnose issue. Most mechanics know how to fix the problem if you tell them but they do not know how to diagnose it correct. I must have gone through so many local mechanics and no one was able to tell me this issue which was finally diagnosed by Dealer. I would think any experienced mechanic should have identified wheel bearing issue but guess what they did not..
Old 10-05-2018, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C280 4MATIC W203
Brain box

Originally Posted by lordofthering
Hi,
I was getting P0019. I changed Camshaft Sensor, Crank Shaft Sensor and Cam Shaft Sensor on Bank1 exhaust side did not helped. Car was running horrible and would not shift gear above 40 Mile/hour. Choice was left to open engine and see what is wrong. My mechanic opened the engine cover and saw there engine was badly gunked with oil and timing chain was little
loose. So I asked him to clean engine by running gas couple of times. Mechanic cleaned the engine, after cleaning engine it was running better than before but still
gear was not shifting above 40 Mile/Hour. Finally mechanic said, instead of repairing engine it will be better if we replace engine with other used engine.
So I bought engine for $2200 + $800(labor to install). Engine seems to be running fine but still having issue with shifting gears. I do not feel any transmission issue at all.

I do not have any Error code or Check engine light.

I thought after replacing i have to reset transmission so I followed below procedure and still no help:

1. Turn ignition key to the on (not start) position.
2. Press the gas pedal
to the floor and hold for five seconds, and keep pedal to the floor.
3. Turn key to the "off" position (don't remove the key). Then release the gas pedal.
4.Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.

My Question is: Do I have to do anything special after replacing engine ? If yes what do I need to do. Can anyone tell me
what could be the issue with shifting gears ? Looks like car is running in lower gear and not recognize that car is running at higher speed. It makes noise when
I go higher speed since gears are still in lower than actual speed of car.

I do have Mercedes STAR Diagnosis system but it is not showing any error code.
In my own case, such a thing happened after I changed engine. But changing the brain box did the magic
Old 10-05-2018, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Iwuala Chibueze

In my own case, such a thing happened after I changed engine. But changing the brain box did the magic
What is brain box ?.

In my case changing Front Wheel Bearing fixed issue. I was not clear since I said changed bearing. it is Wheel Bearing.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211
Hi, in your previous post you mentioned bearings in the rear wheel, and in your last post, you wrote front wheel bearings. I'm curious to learn whether it was the front or the back since I'm having a similar issue? Thanks in advance for your response.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by LouMan79
Hi, in your previous post you mentioned bearings in the rear wheel, and in your last post, you wrote front wheel bearings. I'm curious to learn whether it was the front or the back since I'm having a similar issue? Thanks in advance for your response.
Sorry, it was rear wheel bearing. Basically due to wheel bearing, it will not give any traction to car causing car not able to move forward as it should causing all kind of issues. Regardless of that, if you are having similar issue it is better to check each wheel to see if wheel bearing is the issue instead of just changing it. Correct diagnosis is the key otherwise you can keep changing parts until it fixes it and end up spending lot more money