M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

OM642 DTC P206e

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E55 AMG, 2009 ML320 Bluetec
OM642 DTC P206e

Hi,

Been away from posting for years - work, wife, kids, house.....but always lurking to help troubleshoot and help with buying advice. The board is great for that and appreciated the info I have received.

I don't re-post questions if I can dig out an answer, which I often have. However, I cannot seem to find one here regarding a DTC Code I am pulling on my 2009 ML320 Bluetec: P206e Intake Manifold Tuning (IMT) Valve Stuck Open Bank 2.

This is of course the OM642 diesel, purchased used from a MB Dealer in May 2014 who have been very good about issues I have experienced in less than 24 months of ownership: cooler seals and intercooler at 60,000 Km (37,000 miles) glow plugs and relay (64,000 kms) amongst other smaller items. No warranty now, times up and the car is approaching 81,000 km (50,000 miles). Service tech is warning me that the engine may need to get torn down to be able to visibly see the swirl flaps to inspect/repair.

As mentioned, I cannot seem to find anyone pulling this code, much less a repair option or advice. I'm hoping in a worst case scenario that I can try the swirl motor fix, provided it will work, the valve is open, but fear the condition of the valve and if it can do engine damage if it falls into the engine. I read somewhere that BMW inline 6 diesels suffered this fate. For me, this is the streak of luck I've had with this vehicle to date.

Am I asking for more headaches or potential for further damage to the DPF/Cats/other components being that this is a Bluetec vs. a standard diesel if I try the resistor fix? I've read the discussions, but can't seem to find a definite answer on Bluetec engines. I know the Jeep WK owners have had success with this for several years (I own Jeeps, no diesel), but not sure those engines use the exhaust additive.

I fear that this has the potential to get pricey fast, but more so, I've just gotten tired and frustrated with sending the vehicle back every three to four months since purchasing in May 2014. I am not new to owning MB's, but this is my first diesel. Dad had a 300TD that woke up and smoked out the neighbourhood, but worked flawlessly.

I've booked an appointment for further diagnostic to be safe but looking for some direction, help or suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Rob
Ontario, Canada