M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

W164 Airmatic Suspension Height

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes W164-S2 ML320CDI 4Matic Airmatic DPF 2010
Exclamation W164 Airmatic Suspension Height

Hi All
I am looking for W164 airmatic road surface to fender (both front and rear) measurements in cm or inches when the car is in normal mode (ie not raised and not in sport mode) and running. My issue is that all airmatic components have been recently replaced, the compressor, valve unit, relay, front and rear airstruts, rear height sensors and rear hydropn. struts. We also recalibrated the car to factory specs. However I am not sure if the car behavior is normal: The car sits low (the rear road to fender being 80.5cm) when parked and not running. When I turn it on, it rises some 3cm as normal driving height. Then if I select raised mode it only raises another 3cm from normal driving level. The manual says the difference between highway (normal) and raised mode is 8cm. Mine is only 3cm. When I select sport for ADS it lowers 1.5 cm from highway mode which is a perfect match of manual. Are all these normal expected behaviours?
I appreciate if you could take the measurements of your cars with a ruler from road to fender crossing right from the center of your wheels while car is in a normal/raised mode and engine running and share it here. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:49 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
ML 550
I never went as far as measuring it.

But what you describe sounds just about right. That's how mine behaves.

Only time I would possibly see it raise as much as 8cm would be if I press on the lift off-road button.