M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Rear seat back unlatches, but won't fold. Seems like it is caught on something.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 ML320 (Sold), 09 A4 Avant (Totaled), 02 X5 (hope it is rusting in hell), Looking to buy a w164
Rear seat back unlatches, but won't fold. Seems like it is caught on something.

Hello,

I'm looking at buying this 06 ML500. Car is pretty clean with a great service history. An issue with it, however, is that the rear driver's-side seat back won't fold.

I really need all the seats to fold as the main reason I'm buying this car is to car camp and haul stuff.

It will unlatch and you can pull it about two inches forward, but then it feels like it is catching on something. I've tried it both with the seat bottom up and in place.

Has anybody experienced this or have any idea what it may be?
Would this be a DIY thing?

Thank you all!

Thank you
Old 04-10-2016, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts
2008 R320 CDI, 1987 560SL
My guess is there's some crud caked in the mechanism preventing it from moving forward enough. It should move forward more, and then a release for the back is tripped for it to fold down.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:55 PM

ML 350
Originally Posted by Mastricola
Hello,

I'm looking at buying this 06 ML500. Car is pretty clean with a great service history. An issue with it, however, is that the rear driver's-side seat back won't fold.

I really need all the seats to fold as the main reason I'm buying this car is to car camp and haul stuff.

It will unlatch and you can pull it about two inches forward, but then it feels like it is catching on something. I've tried it both with the seat bottom up and in place.

Has anybody experienced this or have any idea what it may be?
Would this be a DIY thing?

Thank you all!

Thank you
Assume that the seat cushion has been lifted up. After lifting up the release a red indicator tab should pop up and the seat back should tilt easily. Looking at mine today I can't see anything other than maybe a seatbelt interfering?
Old 04-16-2016, 10:09 PM

99 ML320 (Sold), 09 A4 Avant (Totaled), 02 X5 (hope it is rusting in hell), Looking to buy a w164
Hey all,

Thanks for the great responses. Unfortunately, the seller and I couldn't seem to agree on a price.

In talking with a local Mercedes service guy, he mentioned that he has seen the center seatbelt mechanism get jammed. Like when you pull on a belt really fast and it locks up. Apparently when you fold the seat, the middle seatbelt extends a bit, if it locks up then no folding of the seat.

Don't know for sure though. If the guy reconsiders his price, I'll let you all know how the seat works out.

Thanks!