M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

2008 ML320 CDI My Wife Put Gas in The Tank

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320 CDI
2008 ML320 CDI My Wife Put Gas in The Tank

Hello all,

We have a 2008 ML320 CDI and my wife filled it up with gas. I got out of the car and noticed it when pulling out the 87 octane pump lol We didn't start the car and had it towed to our home. I pumped out as much of the gas as I could then added 3 gallons of diesel into the tank then pumped that out. I repeated that process a few times to try and get all the gas out. After that we filled it full of diesel and started it up. It ran fine for the day.

The next day it started having problems starting and the engine light came on. It would start eventually but it would take a lot of cranking. We took it to the dealer and they replaced the fuel pump in the tank, the high pressure fuel pump under the hood and the fuel filter. We are still having hesitation before it starts. It does eventually start but I am wondering what could be wrong?

The dealers solution is to spend another $3,500 on injectors but I don't think they are bad. No loss of power, no smoke, no odd noises from the engine just a problem starting. After is has been started I can turn it off and it starts right up. If it sits for longer then maybe 30 minutes then it has a problem starting again.

Any ideas? No check engine lights are on now.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
I think that you have done all you can possible do to purge the gasoline from the system, and agree with you that it is doubtful that the very small percentage of gasoline in the system could damage the fuel injectors. I think you have a case of sympathetic psychosis,being you want something to happen and your mind generates the cause. I would continue to drive the car------

The one thing you never commented on was the faults---what were they??
Old 09-10-2016, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320 CDI
Originally Posted by Plutoe
I think that you have done all you can possible do to purge the gasoline from the system, and agree with you that it is doubtful that the very small percentage of gasoline in the system could damage the fuel injectors. I think you have a case of sympathetic psychosis,being you want something to happen and your mind generates the cause. I would continue to drive the car------

The one thing you never commented on was the faults---what were they??
Hopefully I do not have that kind of power lol but that is a good questions on the faults. I didn't get the numbers from the tech but he said each light was throwing a code for low pressure.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:01 PM
bha

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
Maybe I'm being optimistic, but you did all the right stuff and I don't see why there should be a problem leaving it as-is.

You didn't start the truck, so the only things that touched gas were:
a. the fuel pump in the tank, and
b. anything that the residual fuel touched (tank, lines, filter, injectors, etc.)

Since you replaced (a) already, that can't be the problem. (b) should have been a reasonably small quantity of gas, and mixed with a large quantity of diesel it was a very small percentage of gas that ran through the system.

Your 2nd or 3rd tank of diesel will be 100% diesel and the problems should go away.

I'd just drive it another few tanks worth of diesel, and see what happens.

It's definitely not the injectors. Dealer is looking to make easy $$$$.

Run it a bit and then if still having problems, take to an indy shop and have them diagnose.

I find it hard to believe that (let's estimate) 1% gasoline in diesel fuel can cause any problems at all, especially when it's not done long term (ie. only one tank worth of 99% diesel + 1% gas)