M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Check engine light-P0025-Fixed with pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 06:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2004 E55
Check engine light-P0025-Fixed with pics

Recently had the check engine light come on in my gfs 2007 ML350. After reading the codes I got the P0025 code which means (Exhaust(B)camshaft position timing-over retarded(Bank2).

From my understanding bank 1 is the passenger side and bank 2 is the driver's side. There are 4 camshaft adjuster magnets located on the front of the engine. Two on each side, one for the exhaust and one for the intake. the camshaft adjuster magnets located on the outsides of bank 1 and bank 2 are the camshaft adjuster magnets for the exhaust and the inner camshaft adjuster magnets on bank 1 and bank 2 are for the intake. According to the P0025 code I needed to change the outer camshaft adjuster magnet on the driver's side.

The magnets on the passenger side aren't too hard to get to, but the drivers side required the removal of the power steering reservoir to access and replace the camshaft adjuster magnet. The power steering reservoir sounds like a pain to remove, but it's not too bad. Three bolts hold it on along with a smaller C-clip that locks around the power steering pump tube that enters the back of the reservoir. I left the hose coming into the power steering reservoir attached. After you manage to get 3 bolts holding the reservoir on as well as the C-clip off the rear of the reservoir (a little tricky since it's hard to reach) pull the reservoir straight forward and it should slide right off the power steering pump. Have rags ready because a small amount of power steering will flow out when you disconnect it from the pump. The fluid will want to run out of the bottom of the reservoir since it's no longer connected by the power steering pump. Tip the reservoir 90 degrees forward towards the front of the car so that the hole for the power steering pump on the reservoir points straight up. This will prevent you from spilling anymore power steering fluid than you need to while you remove and replace the camshaft adjuster magnet.

With the power steering reservoir out of the way you can easily access the camshaft adjuster magnets and the three bolts/screws that hold it on. I don't have any specific torque specs, but you don't need too much muscle behind these since they're not large bolts. Once you remove the camshaft adjuster magnet the install is everything reversed.

Once I replaced the camshaft adjuster magnet the check engine light and P0025 have been gone and not come back at all. I hope this can help anyone else who might be going through the same problems.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:43 PM

2004 E55
This is where that tricky C-clip slides onto the power steering pump
Attached Thumbnails Check engine light-P0025-Fixed with pics-img_1925.jpg  
Old 09-19-2016, 06:46 PM

2004 E55
Old camshaft adjuster magnet vs new
Attached Thumbnails Check engine light-P0025-Fixed with pics-img_1922.jpg   Check engine light-P0025-Fixed with pics-img_1924.jpg  
Old 08-23-2019, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes r350
Trying to fix my p0025 code too!

Originally Posted by AMG_Doctor
Recently had the check engine light come on in my gfs 2007 ML350. After reading the codes I got the P0025 code which means (Exhaust(B)camshaft position timing-over retarded(Bank2).

From my understanding bank 1 is the passenger side and bank 2 is the driver's side. There are 4 camshaft adjuster magnets located on the front of the engine. Two on each side, one for the exhaust and one for the intake. the camshaft adjuster magnets located on the outsides of bank 1 and bank 2 are the camshaft adjuster magnets for the exhaust and the inner camshaft adjuster magnets on bank 1 and bank 2 are for the intake. According to the P0025 code I needed to change the outer camshaft adjuster magnet on the driver's side.

The magnets on the passenger side aren't too hard to get to, but the drivers side required the removal of the power steering reservoir to access and replace the camshaft adjuster magnet. The power steering reservoir sounds like a pain to remove, but it's not too bad. Three bolts hold it on along with a smaller C-clip that locks around the power steering pump tube that enters the back of the reservoir. I left the hose coming into the power steering reservoir attached. After you manage to get 3 bolts holding the reservoir on as well as the C-clip off the rear of the reservoir (a little tricky since it's hard to reach) pull the reservoir straight forward and it should slide right off the power steering pump. Have rags ready because a small amount of power steering will flow out when you disconnect it from the pump. The fluid will want to run out of the bottom of the reservoir since it's no longer connected by the power steering pump. Tip the reservoir 90 degrees forward towards the front of the car so that the hole for the power steering pump on the reservoir points straight up. This will prevent you from spilling anymore power steering fluid than you need to while you remove and replace the camshaft adjuster magnet.

With the power steering reservoir out of the way you can easily access the camshaft adjuster magnets and the three bolts/screws that hold it on. I don't have any specific torque specs, but you don't need too much muscle behind these since they're not large bolts. Once you remove the camshaft adjuster magnet the install is everything reversed.

Once I replaced the camshaft adjuster magnet the check engine light and P0025 have been gone and not come back at all. I hope this can help anyone else who might be going through the same problems.

i’m just gonna follow your instructions but my car is a 2008 R350 different car but looks it share engine wit yours I’ll get back if I fix the problem thank you for sharing!
Old 11-08-2019, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mrtabaa
No need to remove those two parts!

Check this YouTube video.

It should work for all W211.

You just need to get right ranches. That's all. Good luck

Originally Posted by Javier Puerto

i’m just gonna follow your instructions but my car is a 2008 R350 different car but looks it share engine wit yours I’ll get back if I fix the problem thank you for sharing!