M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Air shock replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML320 CDI
Air shock replacement

Just wanted to share an experience in repair of my 2007 ML 320.

I have P3 so air shocks. Have worked really well across 135k miles. At 90k miles I was hauling a very heavy dump trailer when I blew out the rear airbags. Replaced those a few years ago with replacements from Arnott (super easy, maybe 90 minutes)

Unfortunately my shocks have beeen dying for quite a while and the rig drove like a commercial truck for the last 2 years. I hemmed and hawed about replacing the shocks...Rig is getting old but after I paid $2k to fix the high pressure fuel pump, figured why not and then the front driver airbag blew a leak sealing the deal.

Strutmaster doesn't have a 'validated' solution for the ML W164 so I went back to Arnott. REfurbished front shock/air bag and rear shocks, all with ADS (adjustable electronic damping) set me back about $2k

SUPER easy insstall if you can turn wrenches in any reasonable way. Arnott has videos. Ended up stripping the bolt on the upper control arm requiring a replacement which was about $70 for Delphi replacement.

Total time was about 5 hours, 4 for the fronts (most of that the driver side learning the procedure) and about 1 hour for the rears.

RESULT? Amazing. Drives like a Benz again. Well worth the effort.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML320 CDI
Oh yeah, ended up with driver side about 1 inch higher than passenger, I'm thinking part of this is due to the new control arm, barely visible and drives fine so I'm hoping it will settle with time....