M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Cigar Lighter mystery 2007 ML350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 and 2007 ml
Cigar Lighter mystery 2007 ML350

Any Ideas appreciated.

Got a pre-owned one owner 2007 ML320.

The Cigar lighters in the console are not working (both the one in the ashtray between the front passengers and the one at the feet of the rear passengers on the back of the console). Meanwhile, the power outlets in front passenger footwell and in the rear luggage area are fine. I checked the fuses and relays but they seem to have no issue - even replaced the fuses with new ones just for fun (and I checked my fuse diagram with others online to be sure I was looking at the right ones). I did a real quick check with a voltmeter on the sockets just to see if there was a current (while car was on) but could not get a current.

Before I go removing panels and tracing wires, is there any way an owner could have disabled these (maybe they were quitting smoking?:-)) Can the dealer mechanic disable them via the computer while leaving the other power outlets unaffected?

Also - is there an easy way to pull out a lighter socket to replace it without buying the very expensive MB mechanics socket remover tool ?

Thanks
Old 01-14-2017, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 and 2007 ml
lighter / 12v socket mystery solved

I decided to take out the console to see what was going on. This youtube video shows how to do that, it is almost as easy as the video shows. ihttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8Io3Z41hlk

The driver ashtray socket and the socket at the back of the console by the second row passenger's feet are BOTH powered from the same source which comes into the console between the seats (I was surprised that the source was not from the front). When you take out the console, there are 4 electrical connectors; the connector for the sockets is a flat, approximately 16 pin connector - although only 5 pins are used. two pins feed a wire that goes to the rear socket, and three feed a separate wire that go to the front ashtray connector (I guess that the third wire to the ashtray is used to power the lamp in the ashtray?).

In my case, the prior owner or their mechanic must have taken apart the console and somehow, when reinstalling the cupholder, let the flat plug become disconnected. They also managed to bury the source wire between the heater /ac vent and the console and actually left an indentation from the connector on the heater/ac vent; I had to pull out the console from the car to find it. https://mbworld.org/forums/images/sm...smashfreak.gif

It is a little tricky to get the 4 electrical connectors out of the way of the cupholder when reinstalling it, but there is plenty of room to shove them individually back toward the storage bin to get them out of the way.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML320 BlueTec, 09 E63 AMG, 91' 350 SDL
it might had connected something else. Because it's only one well easy one power source that is going to sleep when car is off.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML 320 CDI
These 2007 ML320 12v outlets have a mind of its own. I tried to connect a dashcam on the front passenger footwell. All works fine except for the fact that when i leave the car - half of the time it remains on. It seems that the bored MB designers decided to leave those outlets always on (until voltage drops to a certain level -then shuts off).

Anyone know how to wire a dashcam so it does not rely on the 12v outlet ?
Old 01-28-2017, 04:46 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2014 Smart ForTwo Passion Cabrio
Wire it to any other 12v source that only operates when the car is started... Take it to a good car radio shop, they'll know what to do and how to best hide the wires.

Originally Posted by 20swrt
These 2007 ML320 12v outlets have a mind of its own. I tried to connect a dashcam on the front passenger footwell. All works fine except for the fact that when i leave the car - half of the time it remains on. It seems that the bored MB designers decided to leave those outlets always on (until voltage drops to a certain level -then shuts off).

Anyone know how to wire a dashcam so it does not rely on the 12v outlet ?
Old 01-28-2017, 04:47 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2014 Smart ForTwo Passion Cabrio
Originally Posted by w163&w164
I did a real quick check with a voltmeter on the sockets just to see if there was a current (while car was on) but could not get a current.
You mean you checked for voltage?