M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

ML350 Heavy Duty Rear Springs? / How to Firm Up Rear Suspension (non-Airmatic)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 09:49 AM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 Chevy Suburban, 2017 GLS450 4MATIC, 1993 Chevy Corvette
ML350 Heavy Duty Rear Springs? / How to Firm Up Rear Suspension (non-Airmatic)

Hey Guys - We recently purchased a 2011 ML350 for my wife and that will also double as our family trip car. I purposely avoided Airmatic due to not wanting to deal with the hassle of maintaining it, in spite of the fact I hear that the Airmatic ride quality and control was far superior to the soft Bilstein shocks on non-airmatic W164's.

For around town and for my wife, the stock shocks and springs are great - soft/pliant that soak up bumps and potholes.

However, we recently loaded up the car for a road trip to the in-laws - trunk was full of luggage and baby gear, and my wife and baby and our small dog were sitting in the back seat on the trip. I noticed the rear definitely was sagging a little lower than I would have preferred when looking at the vehicle from the outside.

Having come from a 2003 Suburban, I was able to find heavy duty rear springs for the rear of that vehicle that firmed up the rear so that even when you loaded it up with gear/people it remained at a good ride height.

Obviously if I had Airmatic this would have resolved the issue for me, but is anyone aware of any other options for a heavy duty spring available for this vehicle?

We do a few road trips each year and I am planning to install a trailer hitch so that I can add a storage basket in the hitch. I also will do some very light towing with my trailer (back and forth to the dump or hardware store - nothing heavy duty). I worry though that the rear suspension will be sagging significantly from this type of use without some type of extra support.

I searched around a bit on Google and the forum and didn't find much. I found this thread, but it didn't really offer up much of a conclusion: https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...soft-rear.html

Any thoughts are much appreciated.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:14 AM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 Chevy Suburban, 2017 GLS450 4MATIC, 1993 Chevy Corvette
bump