M156 V8 Platform Technical discussion relating to models sharing the M156 V8 6.2L engine. Including SL63 AMG, CL63 AMG, S63 AMG, E63 AMG, CLS63 AMG, C63 AMG, CLL63 AMG, ML63 AMG, R63 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Solved] Lifter noise!! M156

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I have been searching the forums for months now trying to find a solution to the lifter/cam noise on my M156 (ML63 MY2007, Euro spec)

** Nov 2013 - Basically, it started with the usual tick tick tick that's so annoying

** Dec 2013 - I have taken it to my tech at the indy shop i deal with and they opened the valve cover, one cam lobes is notched and the corresponding lifter isn't in a great shape

--- Now we started the parts journey!! ---
all new head bolts, all gaskets, valve seals, all new part number lifter from the M159 and the new updated both cam shafts (intake) and new chain and chain-guide

** Feb 2014 -- all parts have arrived. head is cleaned and sanded/polished. all parts are in... and tech started the timing adjustment.

fired up the engine, after warm up, the freaking lifter noise is there!!!! after $$$ and time it is there!! I hated it! SOOO MUCH!

** March 2014 -- the engine was filled with Mobil 1 0w40, and the tech told me to try something else!
I switched to Liqui-Moly 5w40, with Lifter noise additive added.... didnt do a thing... the lifter comes and goes!
the tech told me to just live with it... he said it won't damage the engine or parts.

** April 2014 -- really hating the noise! and the comments from some friends !!! I tried Caltex 10w50 oil ... the noise was worse! drove 200km on it and changed it.

Now... the fun part!! and remediation started, this is what I did:

1. Use two cans of Engine flush+ (http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/p...d/en_2657.html) and drove the car for 1 hour
2. Switched to 5w40 (http://www.liqui-moly.com/liquimoly/...d/en_3863.html)
3. New oil filter of course
4. Midway filling the engine with oil, I have added two cans of Cera Tec (http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/p...d/en_3721.html)

5. Fired the car... one minute and ALL NOISES ARE GONE!
drove it in disbelieving for two hours... NO NOISE
next morning I fired it up... SO QUITE! NO NOISE! and sounded like it did warm up!

I AM SO HAPPY! knock on wood that it continues!!

note: I am not affiliated with any company.

Last edited by oettinger; 05-30-2014 at 05:49 AM. Reason: fixed links
Old 06-13-2014, 05:02 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
You have cam rockers but no lifters on the engine and best to stay with oil weight speced to your engine. wrong weight oil can cause noise as well.

Just something to consider if the noise returns.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 07-29-2014, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG, Golf 4 R
I had the same problem with the clicking noise, we removed the old oil and put in Shell Helix Ultra Fully Synthetic 5w40. The problem was solved