M275 V12 Bi-Turbo Platform Technical discussion relating to models sharing the M275 V12 Bi-Turbo (V12 TT). Including SL600, SL65 AMG, CL600, CL65 AMG, S600, S65 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voltage transformer fix/upgrade ideas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 06:54 PM

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
2004 S600
Voltage transformer fix/upgrade ideas

Ok, so I've been really digging into the voltage transformer and it definitely is basically a completely dumb power supply. To the point that theoretically, it could be completely replaced by a pair of battery banks set up to supply the 180V and 23V if you wanted. I see a lot of problems with the power supply. It supplies only up to 55w per bank. Which to me, sounds RIDICULOUSLY underpowered to drive 12 coils. At 13.5V input, that's 4 amps input per bank at max output. My V6 waste spark Buick runs 6 amps, with effectively half the number sparks per cycle.

Beyond the fact that I think the ignition transformer is taxed beyond its capabilities on tuned/upgraded cars, it sits in just about the worst place it possibly could in terms of temperature control. What were they thinking putting a heat-generating DC-DC converter right in the middle of a hot engine bay?

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has taken any measures to attempt to correct this problem by any of the following methods:

1. relocating the voltage converter to a cooler area with a modified wiring harness or extension harness?

2. Adding a 2nd voltage converter in parallel to share the load and provide redundancy, ensure the supply voltage is stable and consistent, and spread the thermal load between the two modules? I have had tremendous success increasing spark energy by adding parallel ignitors/ignition modules on other vehicles. This is not quite the same thing, but more akin to ensuring battery voltage into the ignition module is sufficient by upgrading wiring or increasing system voltage...which is also a useful modification, in my experience.

3. Adding a high voltage battery/capacitor of some sort between the module and coils to meet short-term higher demands and/or dampen any voltage fluctuations in that supply line?

4. Increasing the input voltage?

Thoughts? Experience?
Old 06-29-2016, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
I've never heard of it done to one of these cars, but I agree with you, that seems like a very weak power supply for an engine trying to fire 24 plugs at 22#'s of boost. The location was obviously all about packaging rather than ideal thermal dissipation. The second Transformer in parallel sounds like a great idea, but would mean no engine cover ever.

I run without mine all the time now anyway after seeing how much it helps my IAT's when in slow start/stop traffic and running short errands where I shut off the car repeatedly for quick stops.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:35 AM

2004 S600
Originally Posted by Dr Matt
The second Transformer in parallel sounds like a great idea, but would mean no engine cover ever.
I think if I were to add a second module, it would definitely be remote-mount in a cooler location, so that wouldn't be an issue for the cover. I am not sure if I would remote-mount both, or just one of them. If I did move them both, I would have plenty of room for piping for quad intercoolers, if I did decide to pursue that in the future. I do have my engine cover in-place now. The trick is finding an extra pigtail. Not many of the ignition modules for sale have one (I have only seen one so far), and a complete harness is quite expensive.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
Well, looking forward to your future mods what ever way you decide to go.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:24 PM

2004 S600
Well I am definitely going to look into this voltage transformer situation soon. I'm limited to about 1/3 throttle right now before I get random/multiple misfires. It's not shutting down a whole bank like it supposedly does when there are ignition transformer issues. But I'm getting *some* misfires on bank 1 as well, which already has a new coil assembly (as of maybe 6 months ago)...so I don't really know what the issues is. I am tempted to rig up my honda insight battery pack to the 180V supply lines (It's right around 180v when fully charged) to ensure that I'm not having a power supply issue before I replace the other coil. I guess the first step is to scope it and see what's happening on those 180v wires when it acts up. So I guess I get to figure out how to use the scope feature on our old scanner that I've never used before, lol.