CLK500 Psychotic Dash Display Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLK 500
CLK500 Psychotic Dash Display Electrical Issue

This is a 2006 CLK500 Cabriolet. This has been a great car for the past 5 years with one transmission issue that did not break the bank and fixed the issue. This forum actually helped me through that and gave me advice that made it a good experience. Well here's your chance again.

Driving to the airport yesterday my display began to go crazy with many errors popping up as quick as I could clear them. Check top - get service, SRS failure - go to dealer, - brake fluid - get service, and a bright red battery symbol with a + and - that made me think this was getting serious. Car did die one time on the ramp to the interstate but started right back up. I detoured to the dealer and stopped at a convenience store but the keyless start would not stop. I put the car in reverse and some red warning information came up and when I put back into park the car allowed me to shut if off. I left at the dealer and he called me today and said they did not know what the issue was but suspected some water damage from the recent rains (I should say that the top drains must have clogged because I did have a lot of water on the seat and carpet that we had to soak up recently and the carpet was still wet).

Here's my concern though. The dealer said they would not know how much the repair would be until they removed the seats and carpet from the interior and trunk so they could inspect the wiring and modules. $1,000 in labor! Ouch! And that's no guarantee they will locate the problem or that the repair will be more than the car is worth. Not sure how to move forward with this so was seeking some advice from the forum. Is $1000 over the top for this initial analysis of the problem. Should I bite bullet and have them pull everything out and risk divorce court when my wife sees the costs. I was thinking that maybe if the carpet completely dried out along with the electrics below the problem would go away but that may be wishful thinking.

A) Have dealer rip the floors out and see what the issue is
B) See if it will drive to a Mercedes non dealer mechanic that may be less harmful to my wallet
C) Open for suggestions on "C"

Thanks, I would hate to get rid of this car but if the repair is $3K+ I will have no choice.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 CLK55 AMG
I would take out the carpeting and remove at least the passenger seat myself so it can all dry out. Leave it in the hot sun. You do not want ****e corroding down there. Take an air hose to blow water out of all the wiring and connections. No need to pay $125/hr for that part of the work.