Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 SL500 Griding Noise When Stopping (And ticking noise from engine or transmission)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R129 SL500
97 SL500 Griding Noise When Stopping (And ticking noise from engine or transmission)

I have a 97 SL500, and I hear a grinding noise at the last few seconds of stopping to a hault. I thought it might be the brakes, but I found that when I stop with the transmission in neutral, it never growls. No I think it might be the transmission.

Perhaps this is related, but in the past 6 months, I've been hearing a ticking noise from the right side of the engine (passenger side) that's sync'd with the RPM. I assumed this is due to a broken oil tube under the valve cover, the valves themselves, or the fuel injector. But, I've found that the ticking noise is different when I place the car into neutral (and it's not just because the RPM rises slightle). The ticking has become louder, and now the low growl has accompanied it.

Could it be engine/transmission mounts? Or maybe I put in too much or too little transmission fluid in last year?

Oh, and I should mention that in the past 6 months or so, the car's been acting funny about 2 minutes after being turned on: When stoped, still in gear, the car wants to lunge forward and the RPM jumps up and down, like a horse trying to get out of a cage. So when I put the car into neutral and step on the gas to 1000 RPM for a few seconds, it stopps. This might be a transmission related problem, or fading O2 sensors....

Thanks for any advice

Last edited by jsap; 10-30-2005 at 09:02 PM.