Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DAS Star Diagnosis multiplexer communication error

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow DAS Star Diagnosis multiplexer communication error

Hi everybody,

I bought an original MB caesar Actia multiplexer a few months ago. However I still have a few problems making the multiplexer to communicate with my laptops and my car. I have tried a few dell and vaio laptops (6 laptops altogether). I have not tried a thinkpad yet (i do not own one) however I doubt if this will make any difference. Dell laptops are pretty steady, reliable and compatible.

I am using DAS 02/2006

Serial rs232 Configuration:
Com port 6 (I have tried all ports from 1 up to 6)
Bits per second: 19200
IRQ: 04
I/O Range: 03E8 03EF (I have tried also 03F8 03FF)
All the rest of the settings as default.

All I get is 3 different errors at different times when I choose w203 in the model series selection page in DAS:

1) Fault (1.1)-1.501.9323
Intitialization of diagnosos multiplexer failed. Possible causes: The link between the diagnosis multiplexer and the diagnostic socket is interrupted. The link between the diagnosis multiplexer and the diagnostic unit is interrupted. The voltage supply at the diagnostic socket (circuit 30 and (or) circuit 31) is faulty.

2) Fault (1.17)-7.870
Internal error: Communication software error (CAL Error number 870). Please contact the STAR DIAGNOSIS call center.

3) Fault (1.13)
Communication error: The RS232 interface of the PC is occupied by another program (e.g. HHT-WIN); please end this program

I have tried also CAESAR self diagnosis with the following results:
CAESAR STOS+ Rev.:2.10 from Mar 11 2004
generated protocol file from 29.05.2006 22:58
SystemCheck :
Check serial ... 0 Ok
CAESAR HW Detection :
D2Access ... 0 Ok
D2DownLoad ... 0 Ok

CAESAR Part D2 detected on COM6 with baudrate: 19200
CAESAR version check :
D2CheckSNVER ... 0 Ok
User is Daimler-Benz AG
User Authentification 1
Classification 0
Serial Number 02xxxx
Authorization Level 3
Part D
Hardware Authentification 011200
Hardware Date 032001
Special EEPROM check :
D2 Special EEPROM check:
Inst. date registered ... 0 Ok
D2 Special CAN Test :
Special Test ... 0 Ok
CAESAR version check :
D2CheckSNVER ... 0 Ok
User is Daimler-Benz AG
User Authentification 1
Classification 0
Serial Number 02xxxx
Authorization Level 3
Part D
Hardware Authentification 011200
Hardware Date 032001
Slave check :
D2 Slave check
D2 Processor ... 0 Ok C165 (mask step CA) is mounted.
D2 RAM ... 0 Ok
D2 FLASH ... 0 Ok
D2 EEPROM ... 0 Ok
D2 SERCTL1 ... 2003 DSR / DTR lines at UART1 not connected
D2 UART1/2 ... 0 Ok
D2 ADC ... 0 Ok
D2 Display Power Supply :
D2 Power Battery ... Voltage KL30 = 11.8 V
D2 Power Ignition ... Voltage KL15 = 00.3 V
D2 Voltage K-Lines :
D2 State K-Lines (35) ... Total 2 (+), 33 (-)

Also I have tried DMI diagnosis without any success. (It fails to communicate)

Could you please forum experts (richard, miro, sunil, steve) spend a little bit of your precious time and help me sort this out? I forgot to tell you that I bought from mercedes the original odb & odb2 cables that connect from the multiplexer to the car. From the laptop side of the multiplexer I am using the serial cable and the converter Sunil supplied. It is a shame having the real thing and not being able to fully utilise it...

Last edited by perdikoula888; 05-30-2006 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:01 PM

To me it seems like if it has been blacklisted.... I did not buy it as blacklisted but as fully working/unblocked/non-blaklisted. This is why I paid 5000 insted of buyin a blacklisted for 2000-2500. He sold it to me for 5000 and does not reply to my emails to help me out. I feel like the deal was untrue and waisted a lot of money down the bin... If this is not the case Sunil I do sincerely apologise! However as it stands at the moment I have every reason to be angry with you sunman.... I though you were a gentleman...

Someone JUST told me that error 1.17 means blacklisted/permanently locked.....

Last edited by perdikoula888; 05-31-2006 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:52 PM

05 ML350, 85 300D
Sounds like the multiplexer is locked up- thats the codes you get when that happens (maybe a locked out unit- MB got real nasty about that this year- seems people weren't sending them back), also, the newer SDS software times out (they tell us), so it's possible the 02/06 won't work anymore!! I've never let our machines run that far behind- usually one on the newest, one 1 mouth, one 2 back, thats it as far as backdating.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
You should have some patience and second you should not go around accusing people of selling you duff equipment without getting a response.

Last edited by SUNILP; 05-30-2006 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by perdikoula888
To me it seems like if it has been blacklisted.... If this is the case, it is really shameful for sunman selling me duff equipment. He sold it to me for 5000 and does not reply to my emails to help me out. I feel like I have been conned and waisted a lot of money down the bin... If this is not the case Sunil I do sincerely apologise! However as it stands at the moment I have every reason to be angry with you sunman.... I though you were a gentleman...

Someone JUST told me that error 1.17 means blacklisted/permanently locked.....
You should put that bazooka away and look to making some kind of arrangement. I wouldnt mind a spare one for replacement parts to my own unit. A spare set of cables wouldnt be bad either.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by MBTech21
Sounds like the multiplexer is locked up- thats the codes you get when that happens (maybe a locked out unit- MB got real nasty about that this year- seems people weren't sending them back)
it's probably more about organized crime touring europe (especially germany) breaking into mercedes shops and stealing multiplexers and star diagnosis machines for the black market. we got burgled 4 times in the last 2 years. i'm quite glad to hear that dc is doing something about those multiplexers.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:27 AM

I bought the unit is good faith. Actually I paid double the amount of money that locked units go for. If I wanted a blocked unit I had plenty of opporunities to buy one for around 2000-2500. I was told prior to purchase, that this is one of the two units from a closed down garage that sunman got hold of and that it will be no reason to be backlisted. Now I need it urgently to sort out my car and I am really stuck. I had sent emails to sunman to sort this out for me and got no reply... Put yourself in my position. You would be upset as well. All I wanted is a fully working unit to sort out my car.

Last edited by perdikoula888; 05-31-2006 at 04:47 AM.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:48 AM

My apologies sunman, I was just upset since I got no response to my emails I sent you. I prefer to be wrong rather than right since I always respected you and I still believe you are a gentleman, beyond the fact that I am upset. You would be upset as well if you were in my position. I needed it to sort out my car these days and now I am stuck since the multiplexer gives the errors mentioned. All I want is a fully working unit. Please find a solution to my problem and let me know asap. kind regards.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
I bought the unit is good faith. Actually I paid double the amount of money that locked units go for. If I wanted a blocked unit I had plenty of opporunities to buy one for around 2000-2500. I was told prior to purchase, that this is one of the two units from a closed down garage that sunman got hold of and that it will be no reason to be backlisted. Now I need it urgently to sort out my car and I am really stuck. I had sent emails to sunman to sort this out for me and got no reply... Put yourself in my position. You would be upset as well. All I wanted is a fully working unit to sort out my car.
Why would you buy a locked unit for $2500 when you now have one and clearly have no idea what to do with it in the locked state. It is effectively worthless to you and despite the fact that several people in the UK were kind enough to offer you a quick sale you feel that it is somehow plausible that Sunman can phone Mercedes and make it all better for you.

You went into this transaction with the ambition of not being reliant on anyone so now you feel expressly entitled to oblige UK and USA forums for your own personal interests and at the same time use Sunman as a lever to gain attention.

You treat dealers like MBENZNL and people like Sunman as though they were sycophants and generally express grave scepticism over the good advice you have been supplied purely because it does not comply with your desires.

For the amount of time and energy you have consumed in your own private hobby you may well have spent that money getting to know the local mechanics and achieved the same results with the social benefits.

You really need to look at where your loyalties lie and who you consider to be important in this equation. I can tell you now that you corrode sympathy faster than high tide does a sand castle.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by benzmodz
Why would you buy a locked unit for $2500 when you now have one and clearly have no idea what to do with it in the locked state. It is effectively worthless to you and despite the fact that several people in the UK were kind enough to offer you a quick sale you feel that it is somehow plausible that Sunman can phone Mercedes and make it all better for you.
Dont try twisting words. I paid 5000 for my multiplexer and you have absolutely no idea under what terms i made the transaction. If I was paying 2000-2500 I would not complain. You do not know the reasons I paid 5000.

Also what is your definition of quick sale? Losing half of the money of what I paid? Also did I suggest anywhere in my posts that I am offering it for sale?
Also, I did not see anyone being keen (including YOU) to offer 5000 for a blacklisted multiplexer since their current market value is 2000-2500.

Finally I asked for technical support and not for a phsychologist to try to profile me. I DID NOT PERSONALLY OFFEND YOU THEREFORE PLEASE DONT OFFEND ME. Neither I asked you to be a lawyer for sunman. Sunman is capable to sort out the issue with me.

Where is your technical input as regards to make my multiplexer function? This is the reason I initiated this thread. Do not try to make it appear like if I have a war with SUNMAN. I respect sunman and have already apologised to him for being impatient. However he has to offer me a solution to my problem.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Dont try twisting words. I paid 5000 for my multiplexer and you have absolutely no idea under what terms i made the transaction. If I was paying 2000-2500 I would not complain. You do not know the reasons I paid 5000.

Also what is your definition of quick sale? Losing half of the money of what I paid? Also did I suggest anywhere in my posts that I am offering it for sale?
Also, I did not see anyone being keen (including YOU) to offer 5000 for a blacklisted multiplexer since their current market value is 2000-2500.

Finally I asked for technical support and not for a phsychologist to try to profile me. I DID NOT PERSONALLY OFFEND YOU THEREFORE PLEASE DONT OFFEND ME. Neither I asked you to be a lawyer for sunman. Sunman is capable to sort out the issue with me.

Where is your technical input as regards to make my multiplexer function? This is the reason I initiated this thread. Do not try to make it appear like if I have a war with SUNMAN. I respect sunman and have already apologised to him for being impatient. However he has to offer me a solution to my problem.

You did offend me. You said in the UK that I get my WIS and DAS from Ebay like everyone else does. Clearly you have limitless powers for under estimating others but feel somewhat constrained when the same is done to you.

As any 10 year old would know, if your software is time limited then you wind back the clock on the PC. That means you can use 01-2006 software and keep using your MUX till the cows come home.

This so called war you refer to is nothing but a lack of common sense on your part.

Last edited by benzmodz; 05-31-2006 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:38 PM

Lets be friends and stop arguing. by the way all what I meant was that in the worse case scenario you would not pay more than 20 for it. The best case scenario and the most reasonable assumption is that you get it for free from friends in the dealerships.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Lets be friends and stop arguing. by the way all what I meant was that in the worse case scenario you would not pay more than 20 for it. The best case scenario and the most reasonable assumption is that you get it for free from friends in the dealerships.
You seem to watch far too much TV.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:28 AM

Be serious, you are not a teenager anymore...

Back to the topic...

How am I going to install 02/06 or 05/06 and use my multiplexer. Tell me the trick and stop offending me.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Be serious, you are not a teenager anymore...

Back to the topic...

How am I going to install 02/06 or 05/06 and use my multiplexer. Tell me the trick and stop offending me.

All you seem to do is give irrelevant scant details.

Do you know how to set the clock ?

Do you have the required DVD media ?

Do you know anything about windows ?

You clock about 90 on my DGF meter.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:47 PM

You got me wrong again. My question is the following:

How can I make my multiplexer to work with the latest versions as it "does not like" any version after 01/06.

((((I did not ask you how to install a version after expiry day. This is common sense: I can clock my pc to the past and optionally I can also amend registry values if I want to run the same version for ever)))

Reveal your trick......
Old 06-02-2006, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
You got me wrong again. My question is the following:

How can I make my multiplexer to work with the latest versions as it "does not like" any version after 01/06.

((((I did not ask you how to install a version after expiry day. This is common sense: I can clock my pc to the past and optionally I can also amend registry values if I want to run the same version for ever)))

Reveal your trick......
You really are full of yourself. You said several times that you bought it for personal use and that you have no requirement to operate this equipment commercially. Now you want to be told how to operate the latest and newest software not withstanding that you asked in the UK forum about 2 months ago how to stop the clock from timing out.

Make up your mind on what you want to do. As soon as someone answers your question you then decide that wasnt the question you wanted answered and then demand a whole new answer disguised as the same question.

The original tool costs $26,000 USD and comes with a 12 month software subscription. If my suggestion is not to your liking then you are more than welcome to partake of that offer.

Make up your mind already.

My secret trick is not to be an annoying jerk. Anyone who dumps on Sunman in public isnt worth the time of day.

Last edited by benzmodz; 06-02-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:36 PM

To refresh your memory I asked help for registry editing a few months ago on a different forum. However you failed at that time to reveal something you knew already just to feel confident that you hide very well the "secrets" that newbies are "forbitten" to know. Never mind I spent time myself and figured it out, could not wait three months for your contribution to the knowledge.

I did not ask you to answer to a question I made 3 months ago (actually even now you aswer the wrong thing since I was focusing at that time to registry editing and not to backclocking). I asked you to answer to my current question. Maybe you are clocked to the past and you answer to outdated questions. Maybe after three months you remember to answer to my current question. who knows. Still you try to insult me in a public forum rather than answering to my question. You don't seem to get to the point of what this thread was initiated for: To give a solution to a technical query/problem. However you have not contributed positively yet to bring forward a realistic solution vbut still you act as sunman lawyer without sunman or me invitiong you to intervene. Leave on the side your personal attacks and your teenager temper and get to the point please.

P.S. I cant understand you lately. You used to be much cooler guy in the past. What happened tou you. A strange mosquito bite you and you act stangely? who knows. Maybe it it is the stress of thinking too much about the success of your forhcoming UK visit.

Last edited by perdikoula888; 06-02-2006 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:02 PM

Suman did you finally find a satisfactory solution for the item you sold me? we need to find a mutually acceptable solution soon...

It seems that miro fails to give a knowledge insight and spends energy to get to everybody's nerves with insults.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
To refresh your memory I asked help for registry editing a few months ago on a different forum. However you failed at that time to reveal something you knew already just to feel confident that you hide very well the "secrets" that newbies are "forbitten" to know. Never mind I spent time myself and figured it out, could not wait three months for your contribution to the knowledge.

I did not ask you to answer to a question I made 3 months ago (actually even now you aswer the wrong thing since I was focusing at that time to registry editing and not to backclocking). I asked you to answer to my current question. Maybe you are clocked to the past and you answer to outdated questions. Maybe after three months you remember to answer to my current question. who knows. Still you try to insult me in a public forum rather than answering to my question. You don't seem to get to the point of what this thread was initiated for: To give a solution to a technical query/problem. However you have not contributed positively yet to bring forward a realistic solution vbut still you act as sunman lawyer without sunman or me invitiong you to intervene. Leave on the side your personal attacks and your teenager temper and get to the point please.

P.S. I cant understand you lately. You used to be much cooler guy in the past. What happened tou you. A strange mosquito bite you and you act stangely? who knows. Maybe it it is the stress of thinking too much about the success of your forhcoming UK visit.
I asked some experts in the UK if they were willing to help you and got a reply that you were offered a solution which cost money - so naturally you declined.

Be sure to point out that you dont want to pay for help which is actually available and that unlike your recent statement you have been using the equipment for several months prior to this unforseen problem for which you have no warranty and have already been offered a free and viable workaround given your application and the car you own.

Last edited by benzmodz; 06-02-2006 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:11 AM

1) You have no idea under what terms I bought the product and was willing to pay double its market value.

2) I have never used satisfactory the product. Not a single day. You are making the wrong assumptions.

3) I would not have any problem paying 1500 pounds for a solution if I had paid 2500 instead of 5000. You do the maths.... I have already stated that I have to sort this out with sunman one way or another. He has either to provide me with a solution or a partial refund.

4) Still you have not provided a solution yourself.

5) Please stop insulting me. I am a generous guy however I expect to get exactly what I paid for. I have worked really hard to earn the 5000 I paid for the product and cannot affort losing half the money.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
1) You have no idea under what terms I bought the product and was willing to pay double its market value.

2) I have never used satisfactory the product. Not a single day. You are making the wrong assumptions.

3) I would not have any problem paying 1500 pounds for a solution if I had paid 2500 instead of 5000. You do the maths.... I have already stated that I have to sort this out with sunman one way or another. He has either to provide me with a solution or a partial refund.

4) Still you have not provided a solution yourself.

5) Please stop insulting me. I am a generous guy however I expect to get exactly what I paid for. I have worked really hard to earn the 5000 I paid for the product and cannot affort losing half the money.

5000 is a lot cheaper than 26,000 ..... you took on a risk and as far as I am concerned you seem to think that you can gain advantage by airing this in public.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by benzmodz
5000 is a lot cheaper than 26,000 ..... you took on a risk and as far as I am concerned you seem to think that you can gain advantage by airing this in public.
I did not ask your opinion regarding the price i paid. Market price of blocked used units is 2500. Fancy a blocked one for 5000 since you are so generous?

You make unsubstantiated allegations mate. If you cannot help, please do not reply to this thread anymore, stop offending me, giving my 5000 HARD EARNING MONEY IS NOT GAINING ADVANTAGE, mind your own business and try to find more UK people to spend their hard earni9ng money with you since you are coming to UK. The more people you find to charge extortionate prices, the better mula in your BIG pocket so that you can buy a few more blocked units @ 2500 for yourself. END OF STORY, POST ELSEWHERE NOT ON THIS THREAD.

Last edited by perdikoula888; 06-03-2006 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
Perdi,

I am working on a solution which is not easy to do. WHen the unit was sold to you, it was UNLOCKED. We never had any terms that it would remain unlocked forever. That is simply not in my hands and I am not going to pay for a subscription for you to use it. You will have to wait for a solution. I cannot come up with one overnight.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:51 AM

Sunman, from the time I received the unit from you, I managed to succesfully install DAS within the first month and multiplexer gave error 1.17). Therefore the multiplexer was already blocked with the version I used at that very first time (02/06 released in 19 January 2006) and also the latest version I have at the moment 05/06). As far as I am concerned the unit was blocked for both versions I used since the time I received the unit from you. I did not pay extra 2500 for something that is blocked straight away or within 30 days. However I more that happy to resolve this privately with you as long as you are fair with me. I know that you are a gentleman and you wont let me down. I have already apoligised if I was impatient however I was upset as you understand. Lets be civil, I know we are both willing to resolve this in a mutually good and fair manner. Also request from miro to stop provoking me in an open forum. Look forward to resolve this. kind regards

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DAS Star Diagnosis multiplexer communication error