Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

parking brake issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 12:51 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 clk55 amg
parking brake issue

Hi everyone, can you help please. Just got the clk55 back from having a few minor adjustments by a main MB dealership. I specifically asked them to adjust the foot operated parking brake as i have to park on a slope. I dont know how far i should have to push the pedal down but even after supposedly having been adjusted the pedal (as before) goes all the way down and even pushed down as hard as possible the car still rolls down the slope. Putting it in 'Park/ locks the gearbox and does stop it rolling down any further. However when I start the car and attempt to pull the gear lever out of park it makes a loud clunk. can this damage the gearbox. How many clicks should the parking brake pedal go sown and hold the car when adjusted properly? as I am having to put bricks behind the back wheels.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
17 E220D, 11 E350 CDI(sold), 06 CLS320 CDI (sold), 05 Cadillac DeVille (gone), 04 E320 CDI (sold)
How steep is the slope? All the MBs I have driven will hold on the park brake on a 'normal' slope, but I did find my E Class wouldn't hold on a very steep one (hard to walk up for normal people). I have never seen one where the pedal went all the way down - maybe you've got stronger legs than me!

I would go back, I don't think an MB should have to be chocked on a public road.

The gearbox will clunk moving out of gear if the weight of the car is resting on the interlock, but I don't believe this is particularly bad for it - but not very pleasant. Even if the car is being held by the PB, it is still likely that some weight will bear on the gearbox so this should be better, not fixed.

Good luck with the dealer...
Old 07-31-2006, 04:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Originally Posted by eddieb
Hi everyone, can you help please. Just got the clk55 back from having a few minor adjustments by a main MB dealership. I specifically asked them to adjust the foot operated parking brake as i have to park on a slope. I dont know how far i should have to push the pedal down but even after supposedly having been adjusted the pedal (as before) goes all the way down and even pushed down as hard as possible the car still rolls down the slope. Putting it in 'Park/ locks the gearbox and does stop it rolling down any further. However when I start the car and attempt to pull the gear lever out of park it makes a loud clunk. can this damage the gearbox. How many clicks should the parking brake pedal go sown and hold the car when adjusted properly? as I am having to put bricks behind the back wheels.
I don't know about a CLK55, but for the W211 E class, the brake pedal should travel down about 5 clicks. When adjusting the rear brake shoes, you would need to back off about 11-12 clicks from the point where the shoes touch the rotor hat. When I replaced my rear pads/rotors a short time ago, I adjusted the shoes to back off 10 clicks which gave me 7 clicks at the parking brake pedal.

Regards,
paul...
Old 07-31-2006, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 ML350, 85 300D
i usually set the shoes tighter than that ( 5 clicks or so off the hat), and that should hold it fine. If the slope is severe, it is possible that the parking pawl could actually break off, that technology hasn't changed since automatics came out- its the same reason you don;t put it in park while moving. Trivia fact- parking brakes weren't actually a required by law item until automatics came out, and some municipalities it is still against the law to park an auto car without engaging the brake!!
Old 08-01-2006, 09:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Originally Posted by MBTech21
i usually set the shoes tighter than that ( 5 clicks or so off the hat), and that should hold it fine. If the slope is severe, it is possible that the parking pawl could actually break off, that technology hasn't changed since automatics came out- its the same reason you don;t put it in park while moving. Trivia fact- parking brakes weren't actually a required by law item until automatics came out, and some municipalities it is still against the law to park an auto car without engaging the brake!!
I first set the shoes around 5 clicks off the hat and the brake pedal engaged to soon so I thought I messed up somewhere. Went back and reset to 11-12 clicks and the pedal was back to where it was before I did the rotor/pad replacement.

I'll keep your advice for next time -- thanks.

Regards,
paul....