Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

automatic lamp sustitution

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 MB C 200 K
automatic lamp sustitution

I experimented the automatic lamp sustitution of my rear light in my '00 C 200 K. I Think it's good system: The blown rear light lamp was sustituted by a medium intensity stop light (on both sides of the car).
I want to know if there are any other rules of sustitution
Thanks
Old 08-30-2002, 07:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
Exclamation

Electrically speaking as long as you replace both sides with the same bulbs it shall be ok. However, due to safety reasons I would never use dimmer break lights than those originally fitted. I dont know Argentina too well, but if some one would hit you claiming not have seen your break lights came on, and investigations find that the bulbs fitted were not the once supposed to be in there, insurance may decline to pay.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:17 PM

2000 MB C 200 K
Sorry Bomberger, you didn't understand my point at all.
What I said is that the blown lamp light was sustituted "automaticaly" by the car itself, using the stop light at medium intensity.
The fact was properly adviced by the computer display and when i changed the lamp, the failure text was deleted.
I only wanted to know if someone else has experimented other lamp blowns
Thank you
Old 08-31-2002, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
I keep getting 'substitute lamp' message and the substitute bulb isn't being used. I pull out the
lamp carrier to check. The message comes and goes without ever changing anything. The lamp resistance measures OK. My overall trip meter also automatically resets itself to zero (not the daily one). Faulty messages seem to be a problem on MB from what I've read on posts and talked to other MB owners. Makes the messages useless because you don't know when to react to them. So much for quality electrics.
Old 09-01-2002, 10:00 PM

2000 MB C 200 K
I have experimented a lot of extrange error code messages in my new C-class but never in the on-board display. They show up when you connect the service computer (i always there when the dealer connects it) and ask for a full diagnostic. Problems such as: XXX subsystem bus malfunction, connection from XXX subsystem lost, etc. are more than normal in my car. These errors are saved in the memory and were easily deleted but never researched by my dealer.
I miss times when wires and hard swichts determined my car response. I think the complexity of actual electronics on a MB is a lot more prone to problems than before.
By the way, one day in summer my air conditioner got insane: hot air from foot outlets, cold from up. Three days later, a simple "Calibrate valves from A/C" (a software option in the diagnostic machine) got the problem out- (I never had a problem like that in the next year - till now)
So I thik that your problem is one more of the kind.
So be patient and have it serviced...