Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 R500 FSS Reset Service Procedure and Secret Menu Procedure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 W211 E55 AMG
2006 R500 FSS Reset Service Procedure and Secret Menu Procedure

Hi guys, did anyone can confirm how to reset the Service Due Message of the FSS System. I went to Jeffy Lube to do the oil change service and they didn't reset the message. Pls let me know so I can do it myself instead of going back to MB to do it.

Also I tried some other post procedure about the secret menu, it works for W211 E class but not on the R-Class, did anyone find out how to do it on the R-Class? Thanks a lot.

Last edited by HawaiiC32AMG; 12-06-2006 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Add more questions.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:53 AM

04 W211 E55 AMG
Can someone help?

If u get the answer, pls email me and let me know or post it here. Really appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-09-2006, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 178 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Unrealistic to expect Jiffy Lube to know how to reset this.

Unealistic to expect Jiffy Lube to know how to do anything on a Mercedes.

Very risky.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
First mistake was going to Jiffy Lube. They might be fine for a Ford Focus but not an MB. Your oil was changed by minimum wage untrained people how can you expect them to know how to reset the service due indicator. In fact you did not do the service as called for, you just changed the oil. If you keep that up in a couple of years you will not have much of an R Class left it at all!! As far as having the service indicator reset I believe but am not certain that it must be done by the Star computer at the dealers.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Please don't ever take your car to Jiffy Lube ever again. That's just asking for trouble. Not to undermine you or anything, but did you make sure they used synthetic? You should also probably watch them pour it in because they like to rip people off.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Because your warranty will be voided if it's not synthetic.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Originally Posted by lkchris
Unrealistic to expect Jiffy Lube to know how to reset this.

Unealistic to expect Jiffy Lube to know how to do anything on a Mercedes.

Very risky.
and......

Unealistic to expect Jiffy Lube to know how to do anything that's mechanical!!

BTW, does Jiffy Lube even have synthetic oil? Also, he didn't even mention the oil filter....

Regards,
paul....
Old 12-15-2006, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by HawaiiC32AMG
Hi guys, did anyone can confirm how to reset the Service Due Message of the FSS System. I went to Jeffy Lube to do the oil change service and they didn't reset the message. Pls let me know so I can do it myself instead of going back to MB to do it.
Now that you've been properly chastised for taking your Benz to Jiffy Lube, try calling up the service menu on your instrument cluster display, and pressing the Reset ("R") button.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:13 PM
Almost a Member!

I could tell you, but then Id have to kill you, Mercedes Benz policy.You know how it is.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Skylaw
Now that you've been properly chastised for taking your Benz to Jiffy Lube, try calling up the service menu on your instrument cluster display, and pressing the Reset ("R") button.
Actually, it's a bit more complicated. According to what I can glean from other contributors (each of whom has different vehicles, but all had the FSS), here's the process.

1) Get in car, close the door. Procedure won't work with door open. Then perform the following sequence:

2) Insert key and turn to position 2, then push reset twice; your display should show the wrench symbol and service mileage. The rest of the sequence must be done quickly (about 3 seconds).

3) Turn off key, push in and hold reset button, and quickly turn key to position 2 while continuing to hold the reset button. The FSS then takes about 15 seconds to reset (while you hold the button in).

An alternative procedure posted by one contributor says:
You have to have the key in the ignition and turned to position 2, it's the position just before the car starts. Then go to the FSS screen, or where is says Service A or B due in xxxx - Hold down the reset button until it ask's if you want to reset the service interval. Then push the reset button again.

Yet a third says:

1) Turn the electronic key in steering lock to position 2. Call up the trip odometer and main odometer, using your steering wheel controls. Then call up the FSS indicator using the steering wheel controls.

2) Press button 'R' on the instrument cluster for approximately 2 seconds. The multifunction display will show the question:

'DO YOU WANT TO RESET SERVICE INTERVAL? - CONFIRM BY PRESSING R'

3) Press button 'R' on the instrument cluster again, and hold until a signal sounds. The message 'SERVICE INTERVAL HAS BEEN RESET' appears in the multifunction display. The new service indicator is displayed with the reset distance of 10,000 miles (Canada 15,000 km).

As I understand it, while the normal service sequence alternates between "A" and "B" service, if you have exceeded certain time parameters of your service interval, a "B" service may be followed by another "B" service when the FSS is reset.

Good luck - and don't subject your MB to 10-minute oil change operations. You will find there are filter specs that they may not be able to meet. You're often dealing with minimum wage teens who, despite their intentions, can really mess up your car. My wife made the mistake with her Town Car; she paid for "signature service" (synthetic oil, new filter, wiper blades, so many point inspection, and adjust tire pressure). When she returned home, she complained that the car "steered funny - just didn't feel right." One tire had 80 psi; another, 65. None less than 40, for tires that were supposed to be at 30. And, her car was more than a quart overfilled with oil. I was not only happy she had made it home at all, but also that the two seriously overinflated tires didn't blow up on me as I depressurized them.

She complained, and the owner profusely apologized and promised it would never happen again. Trustingly and against my advice, and in a pinch for time, she went back for her next oil change (this time oil change only - no "signature service"). This time oil level was right - but the tires seriously overinflated again (only one correct; two were over 60 psi). She has learned her lesson.

Last edited by Skylaw; 12-19-2006 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:23 PM

From what I've read on this and another forum, the FSS is non-accessible to the owner and can only be reset/viewed via StarDiags -- this started with the 2006 models. Older models can still do it and the procedures are outlined (however brief) in the respective owner's manuals.

Regards,
paul....
Old 12-19-2006, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
http://www.whnet.com/4x4/pix/fss-reset.pdf
Old 12-20-2006, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by paulv
From what I've read on this and another forum, the FSS is non-accessible to the owner and can only be reset/viewed via StarDiags -- this started with the 2006 models. Older models can still do it and the procedures are outlined (however brief) in the respective owner's manuals.

Regards,
paul....
I have not had to reset my FSS, but in light of a number of questions on it cropping up recently, I checked my own owner's manual ('05 S500) before making my prior post. The steps are not given in my owner's manual or any maintenance manual provided to the owner - and I beieve I have a full set. My owner's manual refers non-MB shops to other maintenance data for the car that presumably they can access, for resetting the FSS.

If an owner's manual provides the steps the owner is in luck. In addition, different models of cars (indeed, possibly even different years of the same model) may have different procedures - the three I gave are each slightly different.

So apparently the manuals for some models have it, some don't, and one might have to try several procedures to reset the FSS if not lucky enough to have the procedure in the manual.

Interesting that FSS reset is not user-accessible in '06 and later. All models, or just some?
Old 12-21-2006, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Skylaw

Interesting that FSS reset is not user-accessible in '06 and later. All models, or just some?
You brought out a good point regarding some or all models. I have an 03 E320, and have talked to people with 04-05E-classes and they also have FSS info in their manuals and it's accessible. Obviously, this is not true for all models in the MY range. I heard from a couple of MB techs on this and another forum who said that starting in 2006, the FSS wasn't accessible to the owners anymore.

Regards,
paul...
Old 03-20-2010, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

FSS Resets All Models

With a huge tip of the hat to RichardM98:

It's posted for each model on the MB StarTek site, free portion - and the procedures differ by model. Do this -

Enter www.StarTekinfo.com as an URL

Select MB Workshop Resources from the left hand menu

When it expands, select Reset Service Indicator

Scroll down to find the PDF that applies to your Model/Year