Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 C230K transmission problem???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 10:48 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 coupe
2002 C230K transmission problem???

Checking for responses beyond those I received in the C-class forum!!!

I took my 2002 C230 in for the first scheduled service today. The car has 11,635 miles on it. I went to the dealer from which I purchased the car for the service, R&S Import in Fort Washington, PA. They provided a very pleasant experience at service check in, including a 2002 C240 as a loaner (with C2, C4, Bose and CD changer!)

I provided them with a list of items as follows:

Items to Service - 1) maintenence A 2) set speed sensitive volume to 0db 3) eliminate vibration/rattle from interior trim peice across the rear hatch

Items to Check - 1) wheel alignment

Items to Note - 1) oil consumption: required 1 qt at 9100 mi and is down 1/2 qt at 11,635 which may indicate an icreasing rate of consumption 2) 1st to 2nd shift feels and sounds different than the other shifts 3) noticeable vibration felt through clutch pedal 4) heavy feel to clutch first time it is depressed after considerable time cruising on the highway - seems more prominent in hot weather

I had dropped the car off just after 8:00 am. I recieved a call at about 3:30 pm with an update. The "Items for Service" had been completed. "Items to Check", wheel alignment , was slightly out of spec and has been adjusted. They also took the time to evaluate the "Items to Note". At this point I'd have to say that their approach and effort appear to be worthy of considerable regard.

Here's the unsettling part. In evaluating the 1st to 2nd shift, they drove the car and agreed that it felt different and that warranted further investigation. They removed the pan for the transmission and found some metal fragments. They felt this was outside the range of anything that might be considered "normal" and therfore indicates a likely problem with the transmission. Rather than take the transmission apart to try to find the defective part, they are reccommending that the transmission be replaced with a new unit. They will have the replacement transmission on Monday and will have it installed by the end of the day on Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

With all the talk on this forum about the 1st to 2nd shift, I never really thought that there was a problem with my transmission or shifter, I just assumed it was the nature of the beast. I guess the thing to do is follow the dealers lead and have the transmission replaced. However, being that the only "problem" I was able to detect was a slightly more prominent notch in the 1-2 shift, which seems as though it is an intrinsic characteristic of the car, this suggested course of action from the dealer seems like it might be extreme. Is there any reason I should avoid having the transmission replaced without a more definitive indication that it is in fact defective?

Anyone with questions, comments or opinions, I'd like to hear them.

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2002, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
No worries

Consider yourself lucky; your dealer is taking very good care of you. Of course you should let them replace the transmission.

There should NEVER be any metal fragments in the bottom of the gearbox. It's uncertain whether that's causing the stiff 1-2 shift though. I guess you'll find out soon enough. Good luck, I hope that's it.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:51 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 coupe
Transmission has been replaced

I was told that the plug to the pan for the transmission is magnetized and that there were metal shavings accumulated on it when it was removed for inspection. The "feel" on the 1-2 shift is what prompted the investigation of the transmission.

I picked the car up yesterday with the new transmission installed. I've driven the car about 50 miles, trying to get a sense of how it feels. Although there are some minor differences in the "feel" when shifting, I'd have to say at this point that the pluses and minuses result in no net improvement. That's OK because I liked the way it felt before.

As for the transmission, with the original there was nothing I detected in using the car that would have indicated that there was a problem. Now with the new unit I can't say that it suddenly feels like something has been "fixed". Other than the aforementioned, very subtle differences in the feel when shifting - everything else seems the same. Maybe a future problem has been avoided. It does appear as though the dealer has my interest as their primary concern.