Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MBTech208 and all: C230K Flexible Service B Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 ML 500, 2000 A6 2.7T
MBTech208 and all: C230K Flexible Service B Question

Dave and all,

I posted this on the c class board and did not get a response. I am hoping someone knowledgeable here can help. This is a cut and paste:

Hi Guys, Just dropped my wife's car off at the dealer for Flexible Service B at 52k miles. It is only the third service for the car. I have a 95 993 that I do all the work and maintenance on myself.

My question is:

This is only the third service for the car and it is 20k miles since the last one. I know what is included in this service and I am a little worried. It is really just to check things rather than replace them. No fuel filter, check plugs, check brake system, check cooling system, don't even check transmission fluid etc... You probalby know this already. Anyway, it seems like a lot of miles on the car not to automatically change plugs, flush rather than bleed the brakes, flush rather than change tranny fluid (not even changing it - service manager said it is synthetic fluid and does not need changing unless a problem? ), check cooling system, and on and on. What are they actually changing besides the oil and filter? I must be old school but I think at a service at 52k miles the coolant system should be flushed (not just changed), as should the brakes and tranny. Am I wrong here to worry a little. I know the engine gets synthetic oil, but 20k miles on that seems like a lot.

Any help or ideas - or am I just crazy and should I trust the process?

Thanx for the help.

E. J.
Old 01-17-2002, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
No Problem

Technically, I really don't think that there's a problem as long as you're under warranty. However, I'll spend the money and get the tranny fluid & filter, and coolant work done at your mileage - just for peace of mind. You spark plugs will outlast 100K miles, don't worry about those. The brake fluid, I'm not sure, but I would change it at near 100K also, unless my manual requies it done earlier. I have an '01 E430 and that's what I plan to do.
Old 01-17-2002, 11:31 AM

Re: No Problem

Originally posted by Darkmann
Technically, I really don't think that there's a problem as long as you're under warranty. However, I'll spend the money and get the tranny fluid & filter, and coolant work done at your mileage - just for peace of mind. You spark plugs will outlast 100K miles, don't worry about those. The brake fluid, I'm not sure, but I would change it at near 100K also, unless my manual requies it done earlier. I have an '01 E430 and that's what I plan to do.
Thanx for the help, but alas, my warranty was only 50k miles, so no more. I agree about the plugs (now), but am still worried about the other systems. I think I am going to go ahead and do a full tranny flush (not just change) and same with the cooling and the brakes. Better to be safe than sorry.

If someone thinks otherwise I would love to hear it.

E. J.
Old 01-17-2002, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
I am not sure you need a tranny flush. The reason is because you don't want to get ALL THE LUBRICANT out of the tranny, unless there's a way to "wet" tranny components after the flush AND BEFORE engaging the gears. Otherwise, you'll severly wear the tranny components - that's what you're trying to avoid anyway. At 50K miles, there's really not that much wrong with the fluid. If you feel strongly about the flush, go ahead and do 2 consecutive tranny oil changes (not flushes), making the second one within 1000 miles of the first. The coolant, you can change/flush.
Old 01-17-2002, 02:29 PM

That's good reasoning. Thanx again.

E. J.