Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Maintainer in Storage ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 07:14 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02/ C230 Coupe
Battery Maintainer in Storage ?

My C230 coupe is put away for the Winter and I have a Charger/Maintainer connected and the unit does go to charge periodically. My other car does not. I know this car uses battery for memory function but how much? It only charges for a short time and doesn't do it every few minutes but it needs to be brought up as I have said. Is This normal?
Old 11-04-2008, 09:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2001 C320
Originally Posted by tonyC230
My C230 coupe is put away for the Winter and I have a Charger/Maintainer connected and the unit does go to charge periodically. My other car does not. I know this car uses battery for memory function but how much? It only charges for a short time and doesn't do it every few minutes but it needs to be brought up as I have said. Is This normal?
Sounds normal to me if it is in fact a "Charger/Maintainer". How old is the battery in your C230? Are you using the same make and model of Charger/Maintainer in your other car? How new is the battery in your other car? I'm wondering if the battery in your C230 isn't somewhat older and/or weaker where it requires that charge a little more often.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Almost a Member!

02/ C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by PA_Pete
Sounds normal to me if it is in fact a "Charger/Maintainer". How old is the battery in your C230? Are you using the same make and model of Charger/Maintainer in your other car? How new is the battery in your other car? I'm wondering if the battery in your C230 isn't somewhat older and/or weaker where it requires that charge a little more often.
Well, I found my problem. The maintain is malfunctioning. The Battery is new this summer and the maintainer is new 2 weeks ago. Lucky for me I have 2 maintainers so I switched them and the problem went to my other car. Back for a refund or exchange. Glad I tried the switch, don't want to cook my new battery. Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:18 AM

2007 S550/1990 300CE
Battery maintainer in storage?

How do you know which charger is not working properly?
It seems a battery sitting in storage, even new, would need "peaking" periodically.

Don
Old 11-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Almost a Member!

02/ C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by dberger1
How do you know which charger is not working properly?
It seems a battery sitting in storage, even new, would need "peaking" periodically.

Don
I just got the info on battery maintainers. A fully charged battery should have a maintainer hooked up when in storage that keeps the battery at 13.2-13.6 volts. I just went through two units that the first would come on charge every so often and the second every 45 seconds and then go to float mode. After finding out about a review on the 5 top maintainers I found that the float mode should generally be at 13.2-13.6 volts. A fully charged battery does not sulfate so maintianing the 13.2 volts is desirable.