Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring cig. lighter to work when car is off????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 09:31 PM

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
'16 SL550, '18 Porsche Macan GTS
Wiring cig. lighter to work when car is off????

I have an '06 C230 and really need to rewire the cigerette lighter to be on when the car is off so it can be used to recharge cell phone. Is there a simple way to do this without hurting something else on the same circuit or am I asking for trouble. I'm tempted to mount another aux. outlet in the glovebox, but thought that would acually be more difficult. Any thoughts?
Old 06-16-2006, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by SteveL1
I have an '06 C230 and really need to rewire the cigerette lighter to be on when the car is off so it can be used to recharge cell phone. Is there a simple way to do this without hurting something else on the same circuit or am I asking for trouble. I'm tempted to mount another aux. outlet in the glovebox, but thought that would acually be more difficult. Any thoughts?
Power outlets in the glovebox are ok if you want your insurance company to cancel your policy.

Batteries can and do catch fire because there are many inferior brands on the market. Even the Apple Powerbook had a severe battery defect which caused fires.

So why would you want a situation where the phone keeps running when the car is not being attended.

Not withstanding that you then have no control over the battery going flat.

For what its worth and the value of the car I would seriously consider charging when driving. If the drives aren't long enough then invest in a USB phone charger or an extra wall adapter for your second location.