Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On-line Parts Catalog?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 03:29 PM

Received 239 Likes on 152 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
On-line Parts Catalog?

There are at least 2 on-line parts catalogs for all BMW models: http://www.penskeparts.com/ and http://www.realoem.com.

Is there a similar site for Mercedes parts?
Old 05-08-2010, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
With MB you can tap into the factory online parts system rather than a third party system that might be out-of-date at some point.

Go here:

https://epc.startekinfo.com/epc/home.jsp

However, you need to run windows and have Java Runtime Environment installed. You also need to be in the US. When joining they will ask for a valid credit card but you will not be charged. [OK, technically they'll charge you $1 and then credit you a $1 a couple of days later.]

When you log on you will see exactly the same thing as is on the monitors at the parts dept at the dealership. You will also be able to printout a shopping list and take it to the dealer or use it for online ordering. However, you will not see pricing.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by RichardM98

However, you need to run windows and have Java Runtime Environment installed.
Thanks for the reply. I have visited the Startekinfo site in the past. Unfortunately, I'm on a Mac and don't have a Windows environment. I've always found the BMW sites I mentioned up to date and with pricing.

I'm on my 3rd MB but have had many BMWs -- starting in 1968 with one of the 1st 2002 models. BMW is surely more user friendly toward the do-it-yourselfer, which I guess is understandable, considering the older customer base of MB vs BMW (including myself) which is surely obvious when comparing The Star and Roundel.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Plenty of us do our own maintenance and repairs. Pretty much anything short of an engine or transmission rebuild. Many MB sites have extensive DIY threads including still images and videos if you look for them. MB also provides complete factory maintenance procedures for many models on DVD's you can purchase from 1-800-FOR MERCedes.

BTW, the Startekinfo site is only a portal with a few PDF files. The core is behind the login procedure. The EPC (Electronic Parts Catalog) is free but the WIS (Workshop Information System) is by paid subscription.

Good luck.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by RichardM98
Plenty of us do our own maintenance and repairs.
Yes, so have I -- not a BMW engine rebuild (but a Fiat one -Fix It Again Tony), complete suspension rebuild on a 3-and 7-series BMW, transmission replacement on a 6-series, and many other things.

But when I think of the simple things there is a big difference. Like the 10-seconds it took to remove the air filter on the M3 that I owned vs. the complicated process on my SLK55 and CLS -- removing and disassembling the engine cover. And the ease of using a floor jack on the jack pads on a BMW and supporting it on jack stands vs. the inset jacking points on my CLS and GLK (for which I have fabricated an adapter.)

Anyhow -- I am really enjoying my current MB rides which are under warranty. I just hope that, long-term, not too much maintenance will be required 'cause I don't think it will be as easy to do it myself as it has been on my BMWs. But then, I'm older now and probably less interested in being a shade tree mechanic.